Thinking of moving to Florida......

Stl Bills

I have 5 branches under me down in Flordia. So I usually end up going there 3 or 4 times a year. I am also fairly familar with their economy. Florida(at least south florida) is a mess right now. The housing market has collapsed & is not going to get straightened out for the forseeable future. It is really dragging down the rest of the economy down there.With that being said, if your going to move down there & plan on staying there for awhile, you will find excellent opportunities for properties because the bottom has fallen out of the housing market, especially the high end condos. Buyer beware down there though. Alot of the properties even the houses have association fees. Those fees were originally based on maximum capacity within the association. I have seen horror stories of the association jumping people's fees by as much as $700-$800 a month because alot of the associations are only 25% full do to all the subprime mortgages that have gone bad over the last few years.

As far as the weather. I have never been impressed with South Florida's weather. Sure it is nice to go to the beach in December/January, but it is just constantly hot down there. Was there last October, & it was 90 degrees down there. Went golfing after my business meeting in the afternoon & it was just unbearable. It is one thing for nice weather, but I need a change of seasons. I have only been down there once in the summertime & you litterally would be drenched from sweat just walking to get into your car. There are nicer places to live if you want nice weather without the brutal conditions & a change of seasons like Carolinas, Virginia or even Northern Georgia.

I currently live in Plantation, FL. Just west of Fort Lauderdale and am getting ready to close on a place that was going for over 400K 4 years ago. I am paying just about half that in a great neighborhood. 3 bdrms 2.5 bath pool jacuzzi big yard 2300 sq ft, massive garage, and the best part its completely updated. i wont have to stick a lot into it just personal touches. The market for buying is unreal!!!

STL it really depends on work, I went to college in Orlando and loved it. Great place to live and a growing area. I refuse to speak spanish down here. When someone starts in on that mess I just ignore them. Thats the only down side here anymore. Great golf if you play, beaches are ok, a lot of nice cities and hidden spots. I have been here for over 20 years and like anywhere it has its + and -.

With the same intent as the OP, I moved to north Florida (Jax/Orange Park) from WNY 15 years ago. We came to truely miss Spring and Fall and 2 years ago we came 'half-back' to Chattanooga, TN. We've already had our .3" annual snowfall here and the leaves and flowers are now budding and the insects have returned.

Just sayin' be careful what you ask for..

With the same intent as the OP, I moved to north Florida (Jax/Orange Park) from WNY 15 years ago. We came to truely miss Spring and Fall and 2 years ago we came 'half-back' to Chattanooga, TN. We've already had our .3" annual snowfall here and the leaves and flowers are now budding and the insects have returned.

Just sayin' be careful what you ask for..

Yeah well a lot of people don't realize St. Louis weather sucks too, we have long crappy winters and pretty brutally hot summers with a lot of humidity. I know the winters aren't nearly as cold as Buffalo's but they are just down-right depressing and overcast from October untill mid March if not April. I'm used to the warm weather having lived in South Georgia for 5 years and I don't really mind the heat....I actually welcome it. I'm pretty open though I could go a number of ways.....Las Vegas, Colorodo, Florida, Virginia who knows.

I'm used to the warm weather having lived in South Georgia for 5 years and I don't really mind the heat....I actually welcome it. I'm pretty open though I could go a number of ways.....Las Vegas, Colorodo, Florida, Virginia who knows.

I would say try to visit some of these places in mid summer just to be sure. Like I said, I used to love FL weather, but it's getting worse.

I've only been there once, so I'm sure I'm looking at through tourists eyes, but I love Colorodo. I'm looking to get a new job in the next 6 months to a year, and I've been thinking about Colorodo. Also thinking about heading back "home" (haven't lived there since I was a kid); maybe around Rochester. It's not often I have a chance at a job in that area, so it's tempting. NC would be my other option.

I would say try to visit some of these places in mid summer just to be sure. Like I said, I used to love FL weather, but it's getting worse.

I've only been there once, so I'm sure I'm looking at through tourists eyes, but I love Colorodo. I'm looking to get a new job in the next 6 months to a year, and I've been thinking about Colorodo. Also thinking about heading back "home" (haven't lived there since I was a kid); maybe around Rochester. It's not often I have a chance at a job in that area, so it's tempting. NC would be my other option.

Yeah I know for someone like myself who is bitching about the cold Colorodo might not seem like an ideal destination but Colorodo winters are a lot different.....there is just so much to do and I absolutely love to ski. There is a ton to do in the summer too...rafting, hiking, biking, camping. I love Colorodo.