Craigslist scam?

Just Jack

I know it is, but I want some input from the salmonella free peanut gallery...

I'm selling a camera lens on CL, and got an email from someone wondering if it was still for sale. First clue, their English wasn't that good....

Is this item Of yours still Much available for sell?

Since it's been up there over a week, I decided to say it was, and their reply...

Yeah i am willing to get this item of yours,okay....So i will like to inform you that i am getting this for my Girl-Friend who is schooling In West Africa Country(Nigeria)As a Valentine Gift And now i will like to have Your Full Paypal Email address now,So that i can make the payment into your Paypal Account Now...I will offer you $200 for the item and for the shipping too..And i will like the item Posted Via (Ems)Usps.So i will like you to get back to me Asap.

Thanks..

John.

I should point out their email address says their name is Ken, and he's offering me twice what I have it listed for. And this email came today, two days after VDay.

What should be my next step? :w00t: Is it safe to give them my paypal email? :w00t:

remember that site that floats around where they run a game on the scammers, through endless emails and promises of action...you should try to play that for a while....

I'm selling a camera lens on CL, and got an email from someone wondering if it was still for sale. First clue, their English wasn't that good....

Since it's been up there over a week, I decided to say it was, and their reply...

Yeah i am willing to get this item of yours,okay....So i will like to inform you that i am getting this for my Girl-Friend who is schooling In West Africa Country(Nigeria)As a Valentine Gift And now i will like to have Your Full Paypal Email address now,So that i can make the payment into your Paypal Account Now...I will offer you $200 for the item and for the shipping too..And i will like the item Posted Via (Ems)Usps.So i will like you to get back to me Asap.

Thanks..

John.

I should point out their email address says their name is Ken, and he's offering me twice what I have it listed for. And this email came today, two days after VDay.

What should be my next step? :w00t: Is it safe to give them my paypal email? :w00t:

Thanks..

John.

It might be a scam. To be safe send them your social security number, bank account number and PIN. If they rob you blind, don't complete the sale, and keep your Paypal information safe.

:lol:

When I first started selling crap on eBay I got a person who said they loved one of my items and wanted me to mail it to Russia but since they wanted it to be a surprise from whom it came from they wanted it sent anonymously. No problem but, then they said they wanted me to send some money to her too and that they would deposit $1000 into my Paypal account and then I'd be able to get a money order to put into the box. I asked why they needed me to get the money order because they could get one themselves. I never heard from them again.

Since the only time I ever use Paypal is between family or friends, I'm probably ignorant of the details, but what can happen if someone has your paypal address? Isn't that just how they pay you?

For example, he put this on CL...if the guy had been less obvious and said, I'd like to buy the lens for the listed price and I would like to pay using paypal, wouldn't you give that out?

Notice they didn't mention the Camera Lens (hell of a Valentines gift, BTW) in their email to you. I'd reply with something like:

Dear ----,

I will have the goat you wish to buy sedated before its long journey to Nigeria. I need to be assured that a team of veterinarians will be standing by upon his arrival in order to safely revive him.

Yours truly,

JJ

Since the only time I ever use Paypal is between family or friends, I'm probably ignorant of the details, but what can happen if someone has your paypal address? Isn't that just how they pay you?

For example, he put this on CL...if the guy had been less obvious and said, I'd like to buy the lens for the listed price and I would like to pay using paypal, wouldn't you give that out?

They have your e-mail address and your home address too if you are having stuff shipped to you. That's only if you are a buyer though. You could always create a separate e-mail just for PayPal/eBay and use a UPS Store for a mailing address if you want total anonymity.

PTR

They have your e-mail address and your home address too if you are having stuff shipped to you. That's only if you are a buyer though. You could always create a separate e-mail just for PayPal/eBay and use a UPS Store for a mailing address if you want total anonymity.

PTR

I have a throw-away email address I use for all that stuff. The home address thing is something to watch for though. So I guess in Jack's case, outside of getting spammed there really isn't much danger in what's involved here? I'm assuming there would have to be more to the scam once someone engages.

The one thing that I can think of is that it gives them the opportunity to "crack" your Paypal acct. If you have an easy to guess password, wouldn't this allow them to misappropriate funds? I'm not entirely sure the security/assurance Paypal allows (I've only bought stuff & Paypal takes it from a credit card) but at the very least, I'd think this could lead to a big hassle.

Thanks..

John.

What should be my next step? :rolleyes: Is it safe to give them my paypal email? ;)

?? seriously?? stay the F away. Run run run away.

Dude, its a scam

www.419eater.com

Duh ;)

Notice they didn't mention the Camera Lens (hell of a Valentines gift, BTW) in their email to you. I'd reply with something like:

Dear ----,

I will have the goat you wish to buy sedated before its long journey to Nigeria. I need to be assured that a team of veterinarians will be standing by upon his arrival in order to safely revive him.

Yours truly,

JJ

I'll send that as a reply. Tune in tomorrow.

I think it's safe to give out your paypal email address. I can't think of any reason why not. Chances are he'll tell you your paypal address doesn't work and ask for something through like western union. and then say to you he never recieved the item and want his money back (that he never plans to send you). and you end up losing 200 bucks and a camera lens.

i dunno, try to get him to "invest" 30 bucks into tricking you somehow, and then walk away. i'm not sure what his scheme is to be honest. its not obvious to me how he plans to trick you.

i dunno, try to get him to "invest" 30 bucks into tricking you somehow, and then walk away. i'm not sure what his scheme is to be honest. its not obvious to me how he plans to trick you.

That was kinda my thinking, get the $200 and never ship anything knowing it's got to be a scam somehow.