Power Steering Lines

Is this a NYS Safety Inspection? IDK if it's actually something that's supposed to be checked, but it certainly isn't something that's routinely checked.

Not familiar w/ that particular car, but my old-dated opinion on the cost (it's been over 20 yrs since I worked in a garage or car parts store) is that's high. Rough guess maybe $50 retail for the hose (i.e. a garage will mark it up to $100) & less than 1 hr labor to replace, $80. Add a few bucks for more fluid.

Unless you want to constantly check your fluid level & the condition of the hose to assure a failure isn't imminent I'd suggest replacing it.

My car inspection failed due to my power steering pressure line leaking a bit...

I have a 96 Buick regal and I was quoted $330 to fix it

Rip off or worth it? Any personal experiences?

No .Take it to a car wash with a pressure washer,clean that ittey bitty amount of P.S.fuild off, then drive a day or so to so the water goes away and it isn't so obvious it was cleaned. Then go somewere else. I had I NYS DMV inspectors license 1985-1994 and the "safety inspection"is 90% baloney.

'

Is this a NYS Safety Inspection? IDK if it's actually something that's supposed to be checked, but it certainly isn't something that's routinely checked.

Not familiar w/ that particular car, but my old-dated opinion on the cost (it's been over 20 yrs since I worked in a garage or car parts store) is that's high. Rough guess maybe $50 retail for the hose (i.e. a garage will mark it up to $100) & less than 1 hr labor to replace, $80. Add a few bucks for more fluid.

Unless you want to constantly check your fluid level & the condition of the hose to assure a failure isn't imminent I'd suggest replacing it.

I'm trying to figure out a temporary fix so it passes

the only reason it failed is because they lifted the car to check the rotors and it was leaking. Maybe If I place some sort of puddy or something on the leak for the day - I will be OK?

Any ideas for that?

Get a second opinion. PSF isn't something to :wallbash: with. That leak is going to get progressively worse and one day your steering will become extremely hard to control. I'd get a second opinion and get it fixed.

I've come to the point where I can't steer anymore

I replaced my waterpump and belts and It's ok again

I just hate that god awful high pitch sound!

So put some PS fluid in it. Top the reservoir off, leave the reservoir cap off to let the air out, and then turn the wheel left to right to bleed the air in the system.

The high pitch sound is probably the belt sliding. Take it to a service guy to have it tightened. my mechanic used to take a 2 x 4 and put it on a professional's jack and push part of the pump up so the belt would loosen and he'd tighten it in that position and then lower it and it was tighter than Beerball holds a penny. I wouldn't suggest you try that. He was doing that to my car 25 years ago. I doubt it's possible anymore.

the only reason it failed is because they lifted the car to check the rotors and it was leaking. Maybe If I place some sort of puddy or something on the leak for the day - I will be OK?

If it's the pressure line & not the return line, I seriously doubt you'd be able to cobb together a (temporary) fix that isn't VERY noticable.

As for taking it someplace else, I assume the problem w/ that is that the 1st thing you're supposed to do when inspecting a vehicle is remove the old sticker. Ergo, any place else will know it failed.

FYI, Napa online list the hose for a 3.8l as $31.99. Unless there's something in the way that is difficult to remove, it's something anyone w/ a mimimal amt of mechanical aptitude can replace (be sure to take not of how the hose is "routed"). You'll probably only need a few open ended wrenches (though using a fitting wrench would be preferable, it's not at all necessary).

Wow...so this can actually stop a leak?

No. This is a procedure to get the air out of the PS fluid after it has run low,and you add fluid. The best analogy I can think off is when they give you a hypo shot,and point the needle straight up and let the air bubbles rise,then push the the plunger to clear it.It will stop the noise, but not the leak. But my guess is the leak is so minor it may be 12 more years before more fluid is needed.Most PS leaks,in my experience, are insignificant and not Worth $330 on a 1996 car.