Troy Vincent makes the cut

Beerball

I've been wondering why there has been all of this "Anti-Vincent" sentiment that I've been reading about. I thought the guy was supposed to be one of the upstanding citizens in the game and in the community, but now they are simply trying to dog the guy out. Is he really a horrible person? Could've fooled me.

He jacked Losman up in practice and broke his leg because he thought he was showboating. At the time JP was supposed to be our new stud QB. Not cool.

It wasn't deliberate, though it ended up having a major major effect on Losman's career, preventing him from taking snaps and starting his roller coaster ride. It was an accident.

It wasn't deliberate, though it ended up having a major major effect on Losman's career, preventing him from taking snaps and starting his roller coaster ride. It was an accident.

I certainly felt that the "accident" could have been the best thing for JPs development if it had been handled properly. JP's problem had never been his athleticism and something which would have been helped primarily through his taking snaps.

JP struck me as having the problem between his ears which my sense is would have been helped most by him sitting in the booth above the field with his ear sewn to the QB coach's mouth learning how he thought and understanding the offense.

If anything, TD and the Bills rushed him into the starting job too quickly before even JP publicly said he had earned more PT at QB.

In retorspect, IR might have been the best thing for his career that year, but instead he healed quickly enough to unleash those old JP instincts and win the starters job.

I've been wondering why there has been all of this "Anti-Vincent" sentiment that I've been reading about. I thought the guy was supposed to be one of the upstanding citizens in the game and in the community, but now they are simply trying to dog the guy out. Is he really a horrible person? Could've fooled me.

It's probably because he tried to administrate a coup on Upshaw a few years ago.

I remember when the Bills released Vincent, the "buzz" was that Ralph Wilson really liked him, and had some notion to offer him some sort of front office job, if he retired. Vincent chose not to retire... we know what happened to the front office...

In retorspect, IR might have been the best thing for his career that year, but instead he healed quickly enough to unleash those old JP instincts and win the starters job.

He did not win the starter job...He was given the starter job after Drew Bledsoe and company could not handle the Steelers in a game with playoff implications at home.

He did not win the starter job...He was given the starter job after Drew Bledsoe and company could not handle the Steelers in a game with playoff implications at home.

JP never really competed for the starting job. Anyone who believes otherwise--please note in your post who it was that JP was competing against.

I think that Vincent, or whoever, will be at a serious disadvantage when they takeover. Upshaw was a huge force of personality whom the owners didn't like, but respected. The new guy is going to face a more anxious group of owners looking for a better deal. They are going to walk all over Upshaw's replacement.

Vincent is far too bright and displays too much common sense to be the head of any union.

JP never really competed for the starting job. Anyone who believes otherwise--please note in your post who it was that JP was competing against.

I think that Vincent, or whoever, will be at a serious disadvantage when they takeover. Upshaw was a huge force of personality whom the owners didn't like, but respected. The new guy is going to face a more anxious group of owners looking for a better deal. They are going to walk all over Upshaw's replacement.

I think the key to understanding the fact that JP did not win the starting job through competition is that JP himself publicly said this was the case. He was quoted at the time saying that he had not gotten the starter's job the "right" way but he would do the best he could to actually earn and deserve the job.

Unfortunately he did not prove capable as a player of doing this. Again, I think that IF he were going to change and improve himself to do this, it likely would not have come through him not getting injured and getting more PT, but through his improving the muscle between his ears to really grasp the Bills (alleged) offensive scheme through him studying the Bills O approach and the Ds reaction to it.

More PT is certainly a necessary to a rookie becoming a vet, but it is not sufficient in and of itself. The legit complaint about JP has never been about his athleticism and his ability to make good decisions under pressure (catching one missnapped ball on the bounce in his endzone, scrambling to avoid a sack and still keeping his eyes downfield leading to him completing a pass to the TE for a first down is still one of the best plays I have seen the Bills pull off going back to the Jimbo Days) has not been the problem of this kid schooled behind a turnstyle OL at Tulane.

JPs problem is that he never has demonstrated the ability to run set plays like the best of the NFL QBs and to make the pre-snap reads that Edwards has shown an ability to make.

Even under Edwards, the results are better but still inadequate. This fans sense is that the problem is that under Fairchild and Schonert, the Bills O has not been designed or implemented well enough to dictate to the opposing D the operation of our O.

As best as I can tell we need.

1. Better pass route design which uses the speed of Evans and Parrish to get more separation because opposing defenders are forced to back-off and give them space for fear they will go long. The Bills O seems to be fairly predictable in that opposing CBs can figure from the Bills line-up and opposing DCs can figure out from the bills tendencies at various downs and distances whether this is a play for the CBs to play tight coverage because the dt'ed Evans or they backoff and allow the Bills to complete the pass but they get tackled before they get the 1st down.

2. In addition to better pass route design to get more separation, the Bills should flirt closer to the penalty line for having their O players set picks for each other. Sure we will get called for penalties from time to time, but the benefit of freeing up a WR for a big gain when we do this "illegal" (other teams seem to get away with doing it on us)maneuver and at any rate, opposing DBs will be looking over their shoulders for fear of getting clocked instead on solely focusing on pass protection. i think the Bills routes can get much closer to the line and still be good to go.

3. Under neither Fairchild nor the Turk have we effectively used the RBs as receivers. This was particularly dissappointing under Fairchild as he had been schooled for the OC job under Martz running the Rams O which made tremendous use of Marshall Faulk as a receiver.

While no one would mistake Lynch for Faulk, he has shown some receiving talent in college which the Bills O has simply not utilized. Even with McGahee under Fairchild in his first year, the Bills would have some success with WM as a receiver early and then simply go away from it if they lost the lead (it was no mistake that WM was far more productive as a receiver soon after leaving the Bills and the Fairchild Noffense).

Particularly with Jackson also showing good receiving chops, the Bills O under the Turk should simply make greater and better use of the RBs as receivers. If this happens. they will also be more effective rushers since the opposing D would have to be less aggressive at attacking the OL for fear that the RB is merely faking hitting the hole on a run and might stray out for a screeen.

Turk is the professional and has forgotten more than I can remember about running an effective O. However, even this poorly informed fan can see that our pass routes simply do not generate the kind of separation seen classically in the Rams O and produced by the best WRs with a team like AZ.

We are still a player a way from having deniable depth at WR, but the speed to Evans, the speed and surprising ability to work over the middle of Parrisn, the height of Hardy and the precision route running of Reed, and even the solid pass protection provided by the OL (as seen in their low sack #s last year) should allow the Bills to do more than they are doing with the pass game