For those who kinda like Trent

Thoner7

lets scream bloody murder and run him out of town, just like we did with JP

Seriously, you think we as fans had anything to do with this? JP did himself in. Maybe there was a hand from the coaching staff but JP had his chances and failed miserably. I've said it before, he will not even be in the league in two years. He'll take his money and head back to Cali.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which imo is THE problem with many fans today. People invest time and money if FF (I never even tried it) and care less about wins. Remember, to us old timers, ff really hasn't been around that long. Betting used to be the issue. If a qb "won" a game, guys would be pissed off if he didn't throw enough TDs to cover the spread.

I am trying to reason with you. I don't want you to think that Trent is Peyton Manning. That would be stupid. But, the kid won in the harsh snow and winds of Denver and you are not being fair to downplay this accomplishment. Remember, he was in his second year.

If you are just holding out and waiting for him to suck in order to be "right," I am thinking that you will have less fun. It's about winning, and of course being a Bills Fan. ;)

I don't know what else you want; I said Edwards and the Bills did well. You're the one that was pumping up Edwards' performance in Denver. All I said was to not put so much stock into going into Denver and winning a game because Denver was not a strong team last year.

I'm a Bills fan; I want the Bills to win.

lets scream bloody murder and run him out of town, just like we did with JP

;) Trent & Dick are tied together evermore. If Trent plays well next year & the Bills win 9 or more games, You will see Dick & Trent in 2011. If Trent & the team faulter & finish 7-9 again Dick is likely gone & the new coach will bring in a new QB. UNLESS Ralph has TRULY lost his passion, then 2-14 will get Dick & Trent another year............ CONSISTANCY my friends.

Go back in history if you will and let me know how teams play in Denver one December rolls around, let alone any other time in that air. Your posts would indicate that you know enough about football to realize that it sucks to play in Denver, especially when the bad weather starts.

Their teams have historically been built for that climate, unlike the Dick Levy Bills.

K.C. is every bit as tough a place to play historically as Denver. The 08 Chiefs & Broncos were hardly historic. Wait a minute, I take that back, they were historic............When is the last time the HC from BOTH teams was FIRED in the SAME YEAR?

K.C. is every bit as tough a place to play historically as Denver. The 08 Chiefs & Broncos were hardly historic. Wait a minute, I take that back, they were historic............When is the last time the HC from BOTH teams was FIRED in the SAME YEAR?

OK, Shanahan was fired. He also won 2 superbowls. The guy is a great coach who any Bills Fan would take in a heartbeat, so I don't think that his firing is germaine to this conversation.

Thank you for mentioning KC. I fully agree that Arrowhead is usually a terrible place for a road game. What did the Chiefs and the Bills have in common? The absolute worst coaches in the game. They are both an utter disgrace, indescribably bad.

I didn't bring up the Chiefs because the team was horrible and Herm Edwards was the coach. In Denver the weather was atrocious, and this was a team not great, but still in the playoff mix (as I recall), and coached by Shanahan. If you choose to give Trent NO credit at all for winning in his second season, under those conditions, you are not being reasonable. Not at all, and we both know why.

OK, Shanahan was fired. He also won 2 superbowls. The guy is a great coach who any Bills Fan would take in a heartbeat, so I don't think that his firing is germaine to this conversation.

Thank you for mentioning KC. I fully agree that Arrowhead is usually a terrible place for a road game. What did the Chiefs and the Bills have in common? The absolute worst coaches in the game. They are both an utter disgrace, indescribably bad.

I didn't bring up the Chiefs because the team was horrible and Herm Edwards was the coach. In Denver the weather was atrocious, and this was a team not great, but still in the playoff mix (as I recall), and coached by Shanahan. If you choose to give Trent NO credit at all for winning in his second season, under those conditions, you are not being reasonable. Not at all, and we both know why.

If you refuse to acknowledge the fact that K.C. & Denver had 2 of the WORST Defenses in the NFL last year we both know why.

If you refuse to acknowledge the fact that K.C. & Denver had 2 of the WORST Defenses in the NFL last year we both know why.

Good God! I didn't say they were good, nor am I trying to convince you that Trent is Peyton Manning. ;)

What I am stating is that for a young quarterback on a bad team and with the worst of coaches, that win must be viewed as an accomplishment instead of being ridiculed because JP wasn't in there to lose it.

Good God! I didn't say they were good, nor am I trying to convince you that Trent is Peyton Manning. ;)

What I am stating is that for a young quarterback on a bad team and with the worst of coaches, that win must be viewed as an accomplishment instead of being ridiculed because JP wasn't in there to lose it.

i am not ridiculing it. I'm just saying it wasn't all that big an accomplishment. When Trent wins against playoff teams, that will be an accomplishment.

i am not ridiculing it. I'm just saying it wasn't all that big an accomplishment. When Trent wins against playoff teams, that will be an accomplishment.

Maybe, maybe not in the eyes of the haters. Remember when he "couldn't win in bad weather?" Or, when he "couldn't win on the road?" In this game he accomplished both in a tough stadium against a superbowl winning coach, yet you discard it.

Trent is just a kid who is learning the game and shows some promise. He simply isn't as bad as you would have us believe, especially for his experience level. If he is healthy this season, I expect more, especially if he gets help at OC and TE.

The Bills would be crazy if they didn't bring in some quality competition for Edwards this offseason, but at the same time, how many QBs has this team gone through since Jim Kelly retired?

Todd Collins

Billy Joe Hobert

Doug Flutie

Rob Johnson

Alex Van Pelt

Drew Bledsoe

Kelly Holcomb

JP Losman

Trent Edwards

None of those guys had any sustained success with this team. Common themes during that period? A poor OL (particularly C), a lack of a quality #2 WR and, with the exception of the Riemersma, who was only decent, some absolutely awful TEs. There comes a point, when none of this sh** gets corrected, that I can no longer blame the QBs. This team has had very serious problems offensively for the last decade, and especially the last six seasons. Until they make a realistic attempt at correcting those problems, its not going to matter who they put back there.

Again, that's not to say that Edwards should get a free pass. He shouldn't, but at the same time, if they continue to ignore gaping holes in the roster and try to play football with 8 or 9 guys offensively, the results will never change.

Maybe, maybe not in the eyes of the haters. Remember when he "couldn't win in bad weather?" Or, when he "couldn't win on the road?" In this game he accomplished both in a tough stadium against a superbowl winning coach, yet you discard it.

Trent is just a kid who is learning the game and shows some promise. He simply isn't as bad as you would have us believe, especially for his experience level. If he is healthy this season, I expect more, especially if he gets help at OC and TE.

I am not saying Trent is TERRIBLE as you keep telling everyone JP is, even though JP is also still learning the game, is only a year older than Trent & has only played in about the same amount of games as Trent. I hope the Trent fan club is right & Trent leads the Bills to the playoffs in 09. I don't think that will happen, especially with Dick as his Head coach.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand what people have seen that cause them to make statements like this. This guy was downright awful in every meaningful game down the stretch (see @ Mia, vs. NYJ, @ NE, vs. Cle, vs. SF).

I haven't seen anything from a Bills QB since Bledsoe that makes me think any one of them have this famous "IT" that people way smarter than me seem to see in Trent Edwards.

HE was awful "down the stretch" against SF, Miami, NYJ? Are we talking about Edwards or his backup?

Look, Edwards, in his first year as starter, looked rough against the AFCE in particular (which was competitive this year), and he definitely got skittish after his big hit. But towards the end of the season, he calmed down some. After that disatrous 1st Q v. Cleveland (a game in which he recovered enough to put our kicker in a position to win the game), he had only one turnover in his next 17 Q's. He won 2 of his last 3 full games---including one in very cold Denver.

Who knows if Edwards is "the answer"--maybe not. But I think there are a lot of posts like the one above coming from guys who for years, despite early and overwhelming evidence to the contrary, backed JPL as the franchise QB for this team. Now, having been so badly burned (his work this year really said it all about how bad this kid is), all these posters are taking it out on Edwards.

We will see this year if Edwards is a keeper, fellas. Although, given his moronic coaching staff, (come on!--Turk Schonert couldn't get a job anywhere else in this league. Ditto for DJ.) it's hard to believe he's going to reach whatever potential he harbors.

HE was awful "down the stretch" against SF, Miami, NYJ? Are we talking about Edwards or his backup?

Look, Edwards, in his first year as starter, looked rough against the AFCE in particular (which was competitive this year), and he definitely got skittish after his big hit. But towards the end of the season, he calmed down some. After that disatrous 1st Q v. Cleveland (a game in which he recovered enough to put our kicker in a position to win the game), he had only one turnover in his next 17 Q's. He won 2 of his last 3 full games---including one in very cold Denver.

Who knows if Edwards is "the answer"--maybe not. But I think there are a lot of posts like the one above coming from guys who for years, despite early and overwhelming evidence to the contrary, backed JPL as the franchise QB for this team. Now, having been so badly burned (his work this year really said it all about how bad this kid is), all these posters are taking it out on Edwards.

We will see this year if Edwards is a keeper, fellas. Although, given his moronic coaching staff, (come on!--Turk Schonert couldn't get a job anywhere else in this league. Ditto for DJ.) it's hard to believe he's going to reach whatever potential he harbors.

I don't understand why people are so willing to give Trent the benefit of the doubt but they were unwilling to give it to JP. Yes JP played TERRIBLE in his 2 games in 08, but I think much of that can be due to the fact he was playing in an offense designed to suit Trents strengths not his. He did not throw long to Evans even once which everyone knows is JP's strength. I hope Trents fan club is correct & he is the 2nd comming of Joe Montana but he has not shown me ANYTHING yet. Montana threw for TOUCHDOWNS, Trent hasn't even thrown for 1TD per game that is just PITIFUL.

I don't understand why people are so willing to give Trent the benefit of the doubt but they were unwilling to give it to JP. Yes JP played TERRIBLE in his 2 games in 08, but I think much of that can be due to the fact he was playing in an offense designed to suit Trents strengths not his. He did not throw long to Evans even once which everyone knows is JP's strength. I hope Trents fan club is correct & he is the 2nd comming of Joe Montana but he has not shown me ANYTHING yet. Montana threw for TOUCHDOWNS, Trent hasn't even thrown for 1TD per game that is just PITIFUL.

trent represents the mediocrity of the entire franchise. he can't throw, he's always hurt, and he doesn't like buffalo. other than that, he's super

Can someone explain why the "AFC East was a tough division" in 08? I see the old saw argument of W-L record but then there is the following facts.

• All AFC East teams played the AFC West and NFC West which harbored some of the worst teams in the NFL in terms of records and stats. That's half a schedule against divisions stocked with awful teams. West coast teams were horrible coming to the east coast this year.
  • Tom Brady went down in the first game of the season and the Patriots, the class of the division, were hit with a plethora of injuries. Despite that they nearly won the division anyway.
  • A rookie coach, a QB with a noodle arm, and team that went 1-15 the season before won the division with one of the biggest 1 season turnarounds of all time, the definition of anomaly.
  • The Jets spent money to buy a winner but it didn't translate on the field and they blew the whole thing up immediately, disappointed in their lack of results in a down year and a cream puff slate.
  • The only team from the division that made the playoffs got bounced out in a 1 and done playoff snooze. Yawn.

The Bills went 0-6 against the "mighty" AFC East and we're supposed to be impressed?

Winning against Playoff teams require the team to excel in all areas. You cannot put it on Trent to win against playoff teams when other areas are weak. Even the #1 rated QB in the league Drew Brees in spite of the stats could not get his team into the playoffs, because the rest of his team STUNK.

The Steelers inspite of an average Offense won because their DEFENSE was #1 in many categories. I give credit to Ben for a rousing drive to win the game, but without that defense, the Steelers are not even in that game. That 14 point swing going into the half time was such a game changer for the Steelers. Just as the SB win for the Steelers was not solely based on Ben, I don't think we can blame Trent for all those loses against the playoff teams.

The Bills went 0-6 against the "mighty" AFC East and we're supposed to be impressed?

The Bills went 4-2 in 2007 playing the same AFC East and 0-6 this year. However, that 0-6 could have easily been 3-3 if they don't fumble-bumble against the Jets and Dolphins. Remember they were up 16-7 against the dolphins in the 3rd qtr and were ready to take a 10pt lead over the Jets before the 14 point swing and then everyone knows what happened at the Meadowlands....Sure we went 0-6, but you are making it sound like the 0-16 Lions who were whipped in most of the games they played.

The Bills went 4-2 in 2007 playing the same AFC East and 0-6 this year. However, that 0-6 could have easily been 3-3 if they don't fumble-bumble against the Jets and Dolphins. Remember they were up 16-7 against the dolphins in the 3rd qtr and were ready to take a 10pt lead over the Jets before the 14 point swing and then everyone knows what happened at the Meadowlands....Sure we went 0-6, but you are making it sound like the 0-16 Lions who were whipped in most of the games they played.

The Lions had many very close games that they lost in the end. As far as Trent goes best case he continues to develop & becomes VERY GOOD, then his contract is up. The ONLY way he stays in Buffalo is if the Bills pay him top dollar. He would much rather go somewhere else closer to home.