Kiper likes Cassell over Stafford and Sanchez

Willis990

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you have to be Mel Kiper to go with the veteran who has played in this league over a untested rookie especially with the way Cassell played this year.

I don't know if ANY of the QB's in this draft are worth a #1 pick, but I do know Cassell is NOT WORTH $14+ Million to ANY team except the Pats*

I don't know if ANY of the QB's in this draft are worth a #1 pick, but I do know Cassell is NOT WORTH $14+ Million to ANY team except the Pats*

If Cassel was traded, wouldn't the receiving team give Cassel a long-term (but, more reasonable for this year) contract, with signing bonuses, and such?

I would say yes, however he would want a signing bonus upfront that would probably match the $14+ million at least.

And what do you base this on?

His contract is that big by default of the franchise designation...has no impact or relevance on any long term deal being negotiated. The contract is a reflection of what the top 5 paid QB's are making, not what he is worth...

Cassel isnt going to pass up a lucrative long term deal and a starting position to keep this one year deal. His value wont be as high next year if he Brady comes back and Cassel rides the pine all year or if Brady doesnt make it back and he comes out and doesnt show further improvement.

And what do you base this on?

His contract is that big by default of the franchise designation...has no impact or relevance on any long term deal being negotiated. The contract is a reflection of what the top 5 paid QB's are making, not what he is worth...

Cassel isnt going to pass up a lucrative long term deal and a starting position to keep this one year deal. His value wont be as high next year if he Brady comes back and Cassel rides the pine all year or if Brady doesnt make it back and he comes out and doesnt show further improvement.

It's a one-year deal. Cassel could rework his contract for a 4-5 year deal worth far more than that, with probably $10-15 million in signing bonuses, and a big salary (but, not $14 mil per year big). Are you suggesting another team would trade a first round pick, or more, in order to get Cassel for ONE YEAR at $14 and have him be a FA at the end of the year? My understanding is, when you trade a franchise player, his contract is usually reworked into a longer deal.

Not even close. Rojo's reputation came off of one good game which he did not even finish by the way. Cassel's body of work comes from a whole season.

I think a better analogy for Cassel would be that guy that subbed for Marino in the early 90s (Scott Mitchell???) then signed a big contract with the Lions and faded into obscurity

It's a one-year deal. Cassel could rework his contract for a 4-5 year deal worth far more than that, with probably $10-15 million in signing bonuses, and a big salary (but, not $14 mil per year big). Are you suggesting another team would trade a first round pick, or more, in order to get Cassel for ONE YEAR at $14 and have him be a FA at the end of the year? My understanding is, when you trade a franchise player, his contract is usually reworked into a longer deal.

thank you, this is what I am saying. Why would Cassell sign ANY contract worth less than $14+ million, & the majority of the money has to be on the front end of the contract in the form of a signing bonus in case he sucks & is cut he has his money.

I think you misread my post Dean...I was agreeing with you and disagreeing with the other poster who said the $14 million being a starting point for his bonus. I don't forsee him getting something bigger thant the $14 mil in bonus...I would say something near $10 is more likely.

Any team trading for him wont do so without a long term deal negotiatied first...again, we totally agree on this.

Word out of the Cassel camp is they would like a 3 or 4 year deal so he can have a shot at 3 big contracts instead of 2 given his age of this first one...a popular stance ever since Fitz worked his contract situation to maximize the number of big contracts he can get over his career.

I think you misread my post Dean...I was agreeing with you and disagreeing with the other poster who said the $14 million being a starting point for his bonus. I don't forsee him getting something bigger thant the $14 mil in bonus...I would say something near $10 is more likely.

Any team trading for him wont do so without a long term deal negotiatied first...again, we totally agree on this.

Word out of the Cassel camp is they would like a 3 or 4 year deal so he can have a shot at 3 big contracts instead of 2 given his age of this first one...a popular stance ever since Fitz worked his contract situation to maximize the number of big contracts he can get over his career.

That makes sense. Even if his bonus is about $10 mil, which sounds about right, he will make over $14 mil, counting his bonus and salary, this year.

That makes sense. Even if his bonus is about $10 mil, which sounds about right, he will make over $14 mil, counting his bonus and salary, this year.

Agreed...I mean I may be wrong and some team might over value him and offer him some insane contract with a huge bonus, but I just don't see a team giving him top 5 QB money after only 1 season, but I have seen way crazier things like Nate Clements becoming the highest paid defensive player of all time when he signed his contract...

I agree the $14+ million can be a combination of bonus & 1st year salary, however I would think he wants that money upfront because unlike Fitzgerald Cassell is not going to get a 2nd LARGE contract let alone a 3rd.

Just for a (starting) point of reference, I had to put starting in there or God knows what some of the replies would be, when Rob Johnson signed his 5 year $25 million contract with the Bills, the signing bonus was a then club record $8.5 million.

Matt Schaub's contract in 2007, 6 years and $48 million (8 mil per) had only a $7 million bonus but his first year of that contract was huge and was essentially part of his signing bonus (they weren't going to cut him that first year). He had been in the league for 3 years and had a completion percentage of less than 50%.

So I think Dean is about right. Probably at least a $10 million bonus and a good first year salary making it close to $14 million for one year. But the contract might be front loaded with modest salaries in succeeding years.

The question now is , do the Jets, with their great love for New england and their great need at QB, go after Cassell and give up the two first rounders?

I think Belichick wouldn't trade cassell in the division simply because he wouldn't want to ruin the kids career. He would destroy cassell if he went to the jets. DESTROY HIM. He made the kid and he knows all his weaknesses.

Sure Cassell had a pretty amazing year out of nowhere, but he still couldn't throw the deep ball and he had the deepest WR core in the league along with the best coaching.

I think Belichick would feel bad (oh no feelings!) if he traded him in the division and he would believe the pro's wouldnt outweigh the cons.

I think Belichick wouldn't trade cassell in the division simply because he wouldn't want to ruin the kids career. He would destroy cassell if he went to the jets. DESTROY HIM. He made the kid and he knows all his weaknesses.

Sure Cassell had a pretty amazing year out of nowhere, but he still couldn't throw the deep ball and he had the deepest WR core in the league along with the best coaching.

I think Belichick would feel bad (oh no feelings!) if he traded him in the division and he would believe the pro's wouldnt outweigh the cons.

I would be shocked if they traded him within the division. Just dont see it happening unless someone offered them some ridiculous offer.

Agreed...I mean I may be wrong and some team might over value him and offer him some insane contract with a huge bonus, but I just don't see a team giving him top 5 QB money after only 1 season ....

Curious, do you see any team drafting a QB in the top 5 this April and then paying him franchise money without having taken even a snap in the NFL?

If you do (and most experts have QB Stafford going first or at least top 3 in this draft) then that same team would be a viable candidate to trade for Cassel and pay him huge money.

I have to wonder if NE* isn't playing a game here. Are they seriously intending to keep two high priced QBs in the roster (at least for this year) ? I think they are trying to see if they can indeed get the 2 first rounders in which case they still have Brady. If nobody wants to trade for Cassel, do the Pats* then turn around and try to trade Brady instead ? My guess is that they won't mind either outcome. I am pretty sure someone will offer at least a first rounder for Brady.

I have to wonder if NE* isn't playing a game here. Are they seriously intending to keep two high priced QBs in the roster (at least for this year) ? I think they are trying to see if they can indeed get the 2 first rounders in which case they still have Brady. If nobody wants to trade for Cassel, do the Pats* then turn around and try to trade Brady instead ? My guess is that they won't mind either outcome. I am pretty sure someone will offer at least a first rounder for Brady.

I wonder who's value would be higher...Brady is obviously an Elite QB, but coming off such a devastating knee injury that has had setbacks in his recovery, I wonder if Cassels trade value will be higher going into the draft given such uncertainty about Brady's knee.

It's for insurance

$14 Million dollar insurance policy to have a chance at the superbowl if Brady goes down or isn't ready