What is the best meal you have ever eaten?

BuffaloBill

Anchor Bar Wings. :rolleyes:

Seriously... there was the kind of hole-in-the-wall joint I went to in Laurel, MD probably 10 years ago (can't for the life of me remember the name of the place) that had the best same-day-fresh crab I've ever had. Nothing pretentious about the place, just and old house that was renovated into a bar/restaurant. Fresh crab and cold beer, without putting a lot of thought into it, this was probably one of my top-three meals of all time.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Homemade polish sausage and potato pancakes that two of my departed aunts used to make, with fresh rye bread and a butter lamb for Easter, and chrusciki (angel wings) and elephant ear cookies for dessert.

This sounds really good .. I mean really good

Makes me wanna head to Broadway Market right now. Not familiar with the 'elephant ears', though.

Elephant ears were big oval shaped, 5-6" across, fluffy but crunchy, topped with a sugary white frosting.

This sounds really good .. I mean really good

I've never found polish sausage or potato pancakes that tasted as good as the homemade stuff. My aunt who made the sausage never measured the ingredients, just used the handful and pinch of spices method. She would let me turn the handcrank grinder she used to fill the casings.

To me there is no such thing as "best ever" when it comes to food. There is a threshold of "excellent" which I've experienced many times. And it's usually found at some out-of-the-way no-name Mom & Pop joint. And price is a factor, too. A delicious BBQ sandwich for $5.99 ranks higher than an equally fabulous fancy dinner that costs $100.

One such example was a Carolina BBQ Beef sandwich I had at RBC Arena in Raleigh. (Sabres vs Hurricanes game 7, 2006) Best food I've eaten at a sports event. Too bad the game didn't finish better.

PTR

Due to a non-disclosure agreement still in force, I cannot share my answer. It would be an insult to this thread to just drop down and name the second best meal I've had, so I won't.

Some of these sound really amazingly good. It is interesting that their price ranges vary and yet who cares? There are great foods of so many varieties that I think a valid answer can be from just about any genre or budget. I would bet however that the best meal Skooby has ever had cost more than an average Buffalo annual property tax bill.

A nice homemade Rueben. Nothing quite like it.

Besides that, in Disney World there is a restaurant in the Polynesian resort called Ohana's (I think). They served absolutely amazing steak and chicken shish kebob's. I don't think I've ever had a better meal than that.

I've never found polish sausage or potato pancakes that tasted as good as the homemade stuff. My aunt who made the sausage never measured the ingredients, just used the handful and pinch of spices method. She would let me turn the handcrank grinder she used to fill the casings.

When I lived in Hamilton, On I used to stop at an old school polish butcher's shop on Wednesdays he would have fresh kielbasa right out of the smoke house (still warm) .. Excellent eats

Two choices:

2) Fresh, line caught Copper River Salmon in June from the Wild Ginger in Seattle.

I love wild ginger .. .fantastic restaurant .. I will be there in two weeks ... If you happen to be going to Seattle again PM me and I will get you directions to the best corned beef sandwich on the planet

I love wild ginger .. .fantastic restaurant .. I will be there in two weeks ... If you happen to be going to Seattle again PM me and I will get you directions to the best corned beef sandwich on the planet

I agree that it's a great place. When I went, it was for business, so we just had them bring out a whole mess of food for us to pick at before our entree's we're up. The waiter had worked there for like 15 years and made it a great experience for us.

Sounds like a plan on the corned beef :rolleyes:, although I'm not sure when I'll get back.

Fresh, line caught Copper River Salmon in June from the Wild Ginger in Seattle.

I don't think I had a bad meal with I was in Seattle last summer. Of course being in a land-locked state almost any fresh seafood tasted absolutely awesome. My son and I made a pact to eat fresh seafood everyday and we managed to make it 7-straight days.

Besides that, in Disney World there is a restaurant in the Polynesian resort called Ohana's (I think). They served absolutely amazing steak and chicken shish kebob's. I don't think I've ever had a better meal than that.

Going to Disney next January for the Disney Marathon/post-holiday family get-together, I'll have to make sure to check that out. My dad is a big steak fanatic, so I'll be sure to drop that hint to him one day.

Agree with some of the posts, there's way too much good food to limit it to one meal or place. There are literally a dozens - big and small. But, here's a few great places I enjoy:

City Hall in NYC for Steak (used to eat there frequently, haven't enjoyed steak since)

Giuseppe’s in Columbus, OH for Italian (for the atmosphere and friends as much as the food)

Rutabagas in Idaho Falls, ID for a great surprise (just a great place)

Rusty Parrot's Wild Sage in Jackson, WY best all around (unbelievable experience there)

Christini's in Orlando, FL for honorable mention. (Absolutely no better food or servce - get the calamari, trust me.)

The Bourbon Mall in Bourbon, MS for catfish, bourbon jugs and god only knows what else (now this place is one of a kind and in the middle of nowhere, literally)

I was staying at my friend's ranch in Argentina, about an hour and a half west of Buenos Aires- he raises cows, chicken, and sheep there. His extended family was coming over, so they killed a lamb- strung it up, bled it out, the whole 9. We ate lamb, chicken, and sausage, with potatoes and homemade bread, and all the Malbec you could drink. For dessert, dulce de leche, pastries, and Dulce de membrillo with cheese. It's goin to take a lot to top that for me.

I hear what tou say but that is the beauty of this thread. I would agree with you that Dungeness crab is worth killing yourself for (worth more than Chesapeake crab). Yum yum my friend.

Blasphemy!!!! Now, be careful as lots of places now a days saying they got Blues(Cheasapeake) Crabs, but they be from the Gulf or Phillipines. Phillips Crab in the grocery store is is now all from Vietnam. Nothing like FRESH Blues out o the water that morn and in your gullet that afternoon.

In terms of best meals, as others have said, many differant, many great, hard to pick just one.

In categories then

Best Fine Dining Restaurant meal: French Laundry in Napa. Whats surprising is there is not even a close second. I spend a lot of time and money is restuarants, none can come close to this.

Best Nicer Restuarant meal : The duck at Millies in Richmond is just out o the world.

Best Meal on Lower Budget: Back in the day(early 90's) Hariss's had a boat in the inner harbor of Baltimore and had Crab Happy hours before O's games. $1 a crab for a #1 jimmie caught that morning, $5 pitchers of Natty Bo all off a picnic table on the this old crab sciff. Many times didn't get into the game till 5th inning or so.

Best meal just for the setting: Doing bare back sailing around the Leeward Islands. Anchored in a seculed cove(we were only boat in there) on Anquilla where there was a true beach front restuarant. No floor , no walls, just some thatch roofing. One other local couple there besides our party of 6. Lanqouites(sp) all night long with the sand between your toes and beer and wine that was just flowing all night long.

Seriously... there was the kind of hole-in-the-wall joint I went to in Laurel, MD probably 10 years ago (can't for the life of me remember the name of the place) that had the best same-day-fresh crab I've ever had. Nothing pretentious about the place, just and old house that was renovated into a bar/restaurant. Fresh crab and cold beer, without putting a lot of thought into it, this was probably one of my top-three meals of all time.

Wonder what place this is. There is a resturant on RT 1 in laurel, the Lighthouse, that has the absolutele best She Crab soup in the world. But they have a replica lighthouse out front, and you would have remembered that.

One such example was a Carolina BBQ Beef sandwich I had at RBC Arena in Raleigh. (Sabres vs Hurricanes game 7, 2006) Best food I've eaten at a sports event. Too bad the game didn't finish better.

Glad you qualified by saying "at a sports event". The Q there is pretty good, but not the best even within 5 miles of RBC

A few years back at a Thai place called Bangkok Gourmet (since closed) in Akron, Ohio; I had this dish with steak and chicken together. The spices and sauce were outstanding, and the meats were cooked perfectly.

I can't even remember what it was called -- it may have been drunken stir-fry, but I am unsure.

Delmonico's Steakhouse (Emeril's) Las Vegas, NV - Bone In Rib Steak, Truffle Parmesan Potato Chips and the Vegatable of the Day. Not a cheap meal but easily the tastiest one I've ever had. At the time, I hadn't experienced many expensive steaks and it was absolutely amazing. Now I've been to quite a few nice steak houses in Boston, New York and Texas for work and still nothing compares. FYI - the potato chips, as funny as it sounds, may have been almost as good as the steak.