The cuts have begun...Lions, Browns, Giants

bananathumb

New coaches in Cleveland and Detroit have already started to purge "try-hard-but-get-injured-or-can't cut-it"players. Surprising, so has old Tom in NY. Thngs are heating up around the league, but in Buffalo, Brandon is probably planning marketing strategy.

So 3/32nds of the league cut some people already and the Bills haven't purged their roster? It's an outrage I tell you. Why did you wait so long to take potshots at your "favorite team"?

New coaches in Cleveland and Detroit have already started to purge "try-hard-but-get-injured-or-can't cut-it"players. Surprising, so has old Tom in NY. Thngs are heating up around the league, but in Buffalo, Brandon is probably planning marketing strategy.

I really don't see any players on the Bills that need to be cut right now. Well, there is one....the worst FA signing in the history of the Bills, Derek Dockery, the 7 Million dollar a year average left guard. I don't care what the cap ramification would be, the inner circle-jerks should have cut this guy the day after the season ended, to begin their purge of underperforming overpaid players that have zero passion for winning. But Levy screwed the Bills royally by being the GM of record, even if John Guy walked past his office on the way to the airport, flying to Wilson's office in Detroit to beg Ralph to sign this joke of a player. I don't know what a hate more about Dockery; his lack of talent or his lack of heart and passion. But if DJ really thinks he can win, he had better figure out a way to light a fire under this guy's butt next year. :thumbsup:

the strangest thing about Dockery is that when he was in Washington, he was a budding star just on the verge of Pro-Bowl performance. What the hell happened up here in Buffalo?

I can only guess, but he arrived in town with a pocket full of money to play for a soft, easygoing coach. When he was developing, his coach was Joe Gibbs, no? I'll bet that he demands effort and concentration.

I can only guess, but he arrived in town with a pocket full of money to play for a soft, easygoing coach. When he was developing, his coach was Joe Gibbs, no? I'll bet that he demands effort and concentration.

More importantly, he had Joe Bugel as OL coach in DC. He's a good one for sure. The Skins also had far better talent, as a whole, on their OL. Other than Peters, there is no one else on the current Bills' OL that could stack up to the unit in place in DC at the time Dockery was there.

GO BILLS!!!

Cut Dockery now...OK.

Who replaces him? A Draft Pick? One of our current backup guards? Another veteran free agent guard at an inflated price?

You whine and cry about this guy's salary because he hasn't become an all-world guard in Buffalo, but you either ignore or just can't comprehend the NFL marketplace -- Dockery was going to get around what he is being paid from any number of suitors. Sure, Steinbach would have been a much better addition, but he wasn't coming to Buffalo.

If you want to talk about cuts, you really need to look at the other side of the ball, directly at our putrid defensive ends. All three in the top of the rotation are grossly overpaid and consistently underperform. The top one is over the hill and breaking down.

Sure, Dock isn't a prototype guard. He commits too many false starts. He holds occasionally. But the guy is remarkably durable, starting 77 out of 80 games and is productive, especially paired with a good LT, as he was is Washington with Samuels and with Peters his first year. But Peters is a malcontent now, and playing like one. The rest of the line is quite pathetic, especially center, who ostensibly is supposed to lead the unit.

My advice: Think, then type, not vice versa....

With Dockery, it was at least a failure of talent evaluation and scouting, rather than an outright lack of knowledge about what the team needed. They DID need a great left guard. They PAID for a great left guard. They just ended up with an average one.

Rather than say, the defensive end position, where we need a great left end, and decide to ignore that need. Or tight end. Or center.

the strangest thing about Dockery is that when he was in Washington, he was a budding star just on the verge of Pro-Bowl performance. What the hell happened up here in Buffalo?

Name one player on the Bills offense that appears to be playing up to his potential. Better coaches would make a lot of these guys better players.

Name one player on the Bills offense that appears to be playing up to his potential. Better coaches would make a lot of these guys better players.

I agree. With the exception of Jackson and Lynch and who knows what Evans could do would prob be a great WR if they THREW him the ball. But coaching all the way around on this team is putrid. Thats the 1st thing you need to address. Start from square 1 and build.

Cut Dockery now...OK.

Who replaces him? A Draft Pick? One of our current backup guards? Another veteran free agent guard at an inflated price?

You whine and cry about this guy's salary because he hasn't become an all-world guard in Buffalo, but you either ignore or just can't comprehend the NFL marketplace -- Dockery was going to get around what he is being paid from any number of suitors. Sure, Steinbach would have been a much better addition, but he wasn't coming to Buffalo.

If you want to talk about cuts, you really need to look at the other side of the ball, directly at our putrid defensive ends. All three in the top of the rotation are grossly overpaid and consistently underperform. The top one is over the hill and breaking down.

Sure, Dock isn't a prototype guard. He commits too many false starts. He holds occasionally. But the guy is remarkably durable, starting 77 out of 80 games and is productive, especially paired with a good LT, as he was is Washington with Samuels and with Peters his first year. But Peters is a malcontent now, and playing like one. The rest of the line is quite pathetic, especially center, who ostensibly is supposed to lead the unit.

Pot, meet Mr Kettle.

So we shouldn't cut the LG without a backup plan, but to hell witht he top 3 DEs - bring back Al Wallace! That makes perfect sense.

Pot, meet Mr Kettle.

So we shouldn't cut the LG without a backup plan, but to hell witht he top 3 DEs - bring back Al Wallace! That makes perfect sense.

Yes because I said cut all three...

Anyways I prefaced that with "if you want to talk about cuts.." anyone of those 3 are more than ripe, they're starting to rot. If we did cut ONE of those abominations, the situation behind them is different than at OG: the team has already began to groom backups like Ellis. And hey, if Ralph huffs some glue one day and decides to go crazy, he could throw money at Peppers.

Try again

More importantly, he had Joe Bugel as OL coach in DC. He's a good one for sure. The Skins also had far better talent, as a whole, on their OL. Other than Peters, there is no one else on the current Bills' OL that could stack up to the unit in place in DC at the time Dockery was there.

GO BILLS!!!

We had the great Mcnally. How dare you even put Bugel in the same league as Mcnally. Don't you know just because he coached in Buffalo and is a local boy makes him so much better than everyone else?

<sarcasm>

I really don't see any players on the Bills that need to be cut right now. Well, there is one....the worst FA signing in the history of the Bills, Derek Dockery, the 7 Million dollar a year average left guard. I don't care what the cap ramification would be, the inner circle-jerks should have cut this guy the day after the season ended, to begin their purge of underperforming overpaid players that have zero passion for winning. But Levy screwed the Bills royally by being the GM of record, even if John Guy walked past his office on the way to the airport, flying to Wilson's office in Detroit to beg Ralph to sign this joke of a player. I don't know what a hate more about Dockery; his lack of talent or his lack of heart and passion. But if DJ really thinks he can win, he had better figure out a way to light a fire under this guy's butt next year. :thumbsup:

Can u name 3 bad plays he had this past season? Sometimes I wonder where people get their opinions from. Fans who go to the games vs watching it on tv get to see a lot more of the play of all 11 players on the field and to see the play develop vs what the tv camera shows you. I don't know what you expect from a guard but he played just fine. When guys like fred jackson are getting 7 yards a rip , and marshawn lighting it up later in the year I don't know how u could complain about any1 on our O-line.

The only guy who looked soft to me was Fowler, and he got benched.

The other thing to also consider is how much it would take to sign a guard in 2009 dollars. Yes the Bills likely overpaid for him, but if you cut him, you likely will pay as much for a replacement as you're paying him. I alos don't think he's as bad as some make him out. In 2007 our line hardly gave up any sacks. This past season, not so good, however there were many leaks on the line. If anything it seems our lines biggest problem is run blocking, but again he isn't the only problem there either. Seems none of them can run block very well. One positive I wil lsay for him is he has been very healthy.

While it would be great to have an all pro at every position, you can't afford that, so you need to pick and choose and only give up on someone who is terrible. I don't think Dockery is that bad.

Cut Dockery now...OK.

Can u name 3 bad plays he had this past season? Sometimes I wonder where people get their opinions from. Fans who go to the games vs watching it on tv get to see a lot more of the play of all 11 players on the field and to see the play develop vs what the tv camera shows you. I don't know what you expect from a guard but he played just fine. When guys like fred jackson are getting 7 yards a rip , and marshawn lighting it up later in the year I don't know how u could complain about any1 on our O-line.

The only guy who looked soft to me was Fowler, and he got benched.

Thanks, while Dockery may not be an All-Pro, he far better than simply "average". Worth his contract, probably not, but very few athletes are.....