Name your favorite one hit wonder band and song

BuffaloBill

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johann Pachelbel - Canon in D

It really is the closest to a one-hit wonder that you'll find in classical musical.

Except it didn't become a 'hit' until 300 years after it was written. Pachelbel produced a significant body of work - all magnificent. The musical 'laity' may be most familiar with the Canon in D because it's an overplayed wedding-favorite, but Pachelbel is hardly a 'one-hit' wonder.

Except it didn't become a 'hit' until 300 years after it was written. Pachelbel produced a significant body of work - all magnificent. The musical 'laity' may be most familiar with the Canon in D because it's an overplayed wedding-favorite, but Pachelbel is hardly a 'one-hit' wonder.

Actually, that's what "hits" are...popularity with the musical laity.

must be part of the laity. I found it funny nonetheless.

Come On Eileen - Dexys Midnight Runners

Safety Dance - Men Without Hats

Turning Japanese - The Vapors

In a Big Country - Big Country

Humpty Dance - Digital Underground

Rapper's Delight - Def Squad

Pasta--you are between....mmmmm......38 and 45????

Pasta--you are between....mmmmm......38 and 45????

No doubt! When I saw Joe's list, I thought "wow, bet he's about the same age as me..." :)

I gotta believe, partly due to our generations short attention span, we spawned an armada of "one-hit-wonders."

Bet that's the first time "armada" has been used on TBD in 2009! :)

I think 'hits' are more accurately described as music that is commercially successful, no?

Is there a difference? I guess there is a slight difference. But, music doesn't become commercially successful enough to be a "hit" unless it appeals to the musical laity.

Is there a difference? I guess there is a slight difference. But, music doesn't become commercially successful enough to be a "hit" unless it appeals to the musical laity.

The other question that puzzles me - can something actually be called a 'hit' if it doesn't become popular with the laity, or commercially successful, until 300 years after it's written?

In any case, I wouldn't even say Canon in D is popular with the laity, can't be described as commercially successful since I don't think he made much money off of it, and it is certainly not even close to being one of Pachelbel's most popular compositions among those in the classical music community. In fact, it's probably one of the most reviled - if only because it is sooooo overplayed due to the fact that it became very trendy to play it as a wedding processional in the last part of the 20th century. Thus its familiarity and, to an extent, its popularity grew 'among the laity'.

Now, if being extremely overplayed, excerpted, rearranged, and reiterated constitutes a 'hit', then Canon in D certainly qualifies.

Now, if being extremely overplayed, excerpted, rearranged, and reiterated constitutes a 'hit', then Canon in D certainly qualifies.

I kinda thought that was the definition of a "hit". :)

BTW, did you happen to watch the clip HopsGuy linked? I think it might appeal to you.

I kinda thought that was the definition of a "hit". :thumbsup:

BTW, did you happen to watch the clip HopsGuy linked? I think it might appeal to you.

Actually, Dean, I started to but had to stop - I hate f&%king Pachelbel's Canon in D! :wallbash:

You might enjoy this one though - Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# minor - another commercially successful, extremely overplayed, and popular-among-the-laity standard of the classical repertoire - even more popular, in an earlier decade of the last century, than Canon in D - another 'one-hit wonder' I guess...

Actually, Dean, I started to but had to stop - I hate f&%king Pachelbel's Canon in D! :wallbash:

You might enjoy this one though - Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# minor - another commercially successful, extremely overplayed, and popular-among-the-laity standard of the classical repertoire - even more popular, in an earlier decade of the last century, than Canon in D - another 'one-hit wonder' I guess...

:thumbsup:

An Asian Victor Borge, it seems.

Terry Jacks:Seasons in the Sun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfm-17pu6SQ

Paper Lace : The Night Chicago Died

Formative songs in the early 70's for a boy born in 63.

Also, this was all I could find, but the shaving cream song was huge on radio sometime in my youth, maybe only on Buffalo radio, but it was so risque for a 9 or 10 year old