Name your favorite one hit wonder band and song

BuffaloBill

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(and let me preface this by saying, "DAMN I'm old"):

Damn, you ARE old. :thumbdown::thumbsup:

I'll enter my two cents worth with the following...and you can tell I'm a child of the 80s:

"Cars" -- Gary Numan

"Tainted Love" -- Soft Cell

"Mickey" -- Toni Basil

"Tarzan Boy" -- Baltimora

"Keep Your Hands to Yourself" -- Georgia Satellites (and I thought they'd be huge for years)

"Heart and Soul" -- T'Pau

"The Promise" -- When in Rome

...and maybe the biggest one-hit wonder of all:

"Don't Worry, Be Happy" -- Bobby McFerrin (it's his only Top 40 hit, so it qualifies)

Rick Astley- Never Going to Give You Up

Just kidding.

Dude, you're about to get rick rolled. :thumbsup:

BTW, he had four hits I can think of -- "Never Gonna Give You Up", "Together Forever", "It Would Take a Strong, Strong, Man" and "Hopelessly". The first two went to Number 1.

further info?

I can't find it on the VH1 site, but it was something like they released more than one song and it made it on the top 40. Catch the next replay of the show with William Shatner as the host on VH1. They replay it every couple months or so.

Ones like Mickey, the Macarena, 867-5309 and I Touch Myself (which was filmed in a convent!).

I can't find it on the VH1 site, but it was something like they released more than one song and it made it on the top 40. Catch the next replay of the show with William Shatner as the host on VH1. They replay it every couple months or so.

Ones like Mickey, the Macarena, 867-5309 and I Touch Myself (which was filmed in a convent!).

I Touch Myself is the excellence.

I looked on Wicki and this is the definition for VH1's list:

In 2002, the American cable network VH1 aired a countdown of the VH1's 100 Greatest One-hit Wonders. It listed musicians with only one American hit, regardless of international success.

Aha (Take On Me) and others have had many European hits.

Dunno that I have a favorite. Here are some I like (and let me preface this by saying, "DAMN I'm old"):

Venus: Shocking Blue

Ride Captain Ride: The Blues Image

Brandy (You're a Fine Girl): Looking Glass

Stuck in the Middle" Stealers Wheel

Fire: The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Gimme Just a Little More Time: Chairmen of the Board

More Today Than Yesterday: Spiral Starecase

Give Me One More Chance: Wilmer & the Dukes

Love Land: Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band (To be fair, they also did "Express Yourself" which was pretty good, too.)

We Got More Soul: Dyke & the Blazers (Terrific B-Side: Shotgun Slim)

...well...that's a start...more later

Was that not a Bob Dylan song? Or am I thinking of something different? Or did he cover it, the one that was used in Reservoir Dogs?

Was that not a Bob Dylan song? Or am I thinking of something different? Or did he cover it, the one that was used in Reservoir Dogs?

no it was Stealers Wheel who wrote the song and who's version was in reservoir dogs. The guy from Stealers Wheels used to busk with Gerry Rafferty in London. Gerry Rafferty has one of my favorite one hit wonder hit songs-

baker street

New Radicals- You Get What You Give

Sniffn the Tears- Drivers Seat

Dunno that I have a favorite. Here are some I like (and let me preface this by saying, "DAMN I'm old"):

Venus: Shocking Blue

Ride Captain Ride: The Blues Image

Brandy (You're a Fine Girl): Looking Glass

Stuck in the Middle" Stealers Wheel

Fire: The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Gimme Just a Little More Time: Chairmen of the Board

More Today Than Yesterday: Spiral Starecase

Give Me One More Chance: Wilmer & the Dukes

Love Land: Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band (To be fair, they also did "Express Yourself" which was pretty good, too.)

We Got More Soul: Dyke & the Blazers (Terrific B-Side: Shotgun Slim)

...well...that's a start...more later

Great choices---but I may have to disqualify Stealers Wheel because that was Gerry Rafferty--who had mega -albums and mega hits.

I've always been partial to "If I Had A Million Dollars" by Barenaked Ladies.

I must be the only person who thought they were a half-way decent band. Apparently, I was the only one.

A couple of the middle aged gals at work dig them too! You are not alone! :thumbsup:

no it was Stealers Wheel who wrote the song and who's version was in reservoir dogs. The guy from Stealers Wheels used to busk with Gerry Rafferty in London. Gerry Rafferty has one of my favorite one hit wonder hit songs-

baker street

New Radicals- You Get What You Give

Sniffn the Tears- Drivers Seat

New Radicals had Danielle Brisbois. When she was a kid , she played Archie Bunker's niece, who moved in with them. She grew up tp be hot looking! In the video, she's the redhead.

I've always been partial to "If I Had A Million Dollars" by Barenaked Ladies.

I must be the only person who thought they were a half-way decent band. Apparently, I was the only one.

they are hardly one hit wonder though. They had a bunch of other big hits. Like "One Week"