Name your favorite one hit wonder band and song

BuffaloBill

For me it's Red Rider with Lunatic Fringe. Not necessarily a one hit wonder in Canada but they never hit it big in the U.S. Miami Vice (the TV show) helped them out by using this song in one of their episodes. BTW - caught a rerun of MV ... the sets looked so cheap ... good thing the girls were hot as were the cars.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno that I have a favorite. Here are some I like (and let me preface this by saying, "DAMN I'm old"):

Venus: Shocking Blue

Ride Captain Ride: The Blues Image

Brandy (You're a Fine Girl): Looking Glass

Stuck in the Middle" Stealers Wheel

Fire: The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Gimme Just a Little More Time: Chairmen of the Board

More Today Than Yesterday: Spiral Starecase

Give Me One More Chance: Wilmer & the Dukes

Love Land: Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band (To be fair, they also did "Express Yourself" which was pretty good, too.)

We Got More Soul: Dyke & the Blazers (Terrific B-Side: Shotgun Slim)

...well...that's a start...more later

Dunno that I have a favorite. Here are some I like (and let me preface this by saying, "DAMN I'm old"):

Venus: Shocking Blue

Ride Captain Ride: The Blues Image

Brandy (You're a Fine Girl): Looking Glass

Stuck in the Middle" Stealers Wheel

Fire: The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Gimme Just a Little More Time: Chairmen of the Board

More Today Than Yesterday: Spiral Starecase

Give Me One More Chance: Wilmer & the Dukes

Love Land: Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band (To be fair, they also did "Express Yourself" which was pretty good, too.)

We Got More Soul: Dyke & the Blazers (Terrific B-Side: Shotgun Slim)

...well...that's a start...more later

You beat me to it... I have that song since I was a kid... still sounds great today!

I will also add:

"Since I Fell for You" by Lenny Welch (commonly mistaken for Sam Cooke)

"Psycho" by Eddie Noack! (one of the creepiest sings ever recorded)

"88 Lines About 44 Women"- The Nails (the original, not the re-make)

"Chick Inspector"- Dick Curless

the buggles, video killed the radio star?

although i remember in syracuse, the weeks leading up to the first airing of mtv, the channel played music with a colored ossiliscope(?) playing

Trivia question (don't cheat and look it up): Which 80s hit was the first video ever played on MTV?

Well, I was born in 1989. None of my friends has ever known the answer to it, but I guess for people who were alive in 81 it's common knowledge?

Damn, I remember being tuned in the second MTV went on the air... I don't think I took my eyes off of it for three days straight... I knew every Rod Stewart and REO Speedwagon hit, by heart, by the end of that weekend. Little did I know, what I thought was so great then, would ruin the way I enjoy music forever...

Meh, there's way too many one hit wonders. It's the two hit wonders that get my respect. Imagine having two and only two hits! My favorite? The Fine Young Cannibals (She Drives Me Crazy & Good Thing). Paula Cole is a close 2nd (Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?, I Don't Wanna Wait).

I once heard that Google has some sort of cash reward if you could come up with a word or phrase that would return only two search items. I couldn't find evidence of any such challenge, but I remember hearing about it.

How about 3 hit wonders? They're probably more prevalent. The Spin Doctors had Jimmy Olson Blues (Pocket Full of Kryptonite), Little Miss Can't Be Wrong, and Two Princes.