is it legal to use neighbors wireless connection

achingknees

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of Friday am back to using my own connection. It has been interesting to read all the differing views on using a unsecure connection. Given that there is a option of either securing or leaving a connection unsecure, that i was using a connection that was connected on my own property, I think it totally the choice of connection owner to secure it or leave it open. I don't buy the argument of ignorance, either one read all the documentation on installing a item and knowing the usage of item or they have a professional install item for them. I did not know which neighbors connection I was using , or most certainly I would have thanked him or her for allowing me to use it and if they had been unaware that others could use their connection would have shown them how to secure it , if that be their choice.

As of Friday am back to using my own connection. It has been interesting to read all the differing views on using a unsecure connection. Given that there is a option of either securing or leaving a connection unsecure, that i was using a connection that was connected on my own property, I think it totally the choice of connection owner to secure it or leave it open. I don't buy the argument of ignorance, either one read all the documentation on installing a item and knowing the usage of item or they have a professional install item for them. I did not know which neighbors connection I was using , or most certainly I would have thanked him or her for allowing me to use it and if they had been unaware that others could use their connection would have shown them how to secure it , if that be their choice.

Glad to hear it all worked out.

But, while you say you don't buy the argument of ignorance, you betray that by suggesting you "would have shown them how to secure it", in the last sentence. Obviously, you honestly realize they just might not know about security. Also, in my experience, it is the "professionals" who sometimes leave the routers unsecured.

Finally, I just realized that my father's router has been unsecured for some time. Not long, I know that, as I did some stuff with it a couple of months ago. But, I installed it, originally, and enabled security. I changed the password recently, too. Well, on Friday, I was testing another laptop, and looked for the key/password, and the computer was already connected to out network (with a warning that it was unsecured). I don't know what happened, but something (or someone) removed the security setting from the router. If it was my father, it was purely accidental, as he doesn't know how to do that.

No I have not betrayed anything. That a person knows or does not know about security, in my opinion is by choice. If a professional leaves the connection again is by choice or incompetence. Its my opinion those who leave their connection usecure are comparable to those who have unprotected sex and then claim they did not know it could be dangerous. On the ethics issue , its my opinion it is unethical of a person to leave his or her connection open for all, the time will soon come and in some places it does exist where if you leave your connection open, and it causes difficulty for network you will be liable and the very least your connection suspended , frequently doing so will result in loss of service. Informing a person that their connection is unsecure is the polite thing to do be both provider and a neighbor or person using it. The account holder of that connection has then the option of securing it or living with ramifications. Ignorance does not cut it.

Glad to hear it all worked out.

But, while you say you don't buy the argument of ignorance, you betray that by suggesting you "would have shown them how to secure it", in the last sentence. Obviously, you honestly realize they just might not know about security. Also, in my experience, it is the "professionals" who sometimes leave the routers unsecured.

Finally, I just realized that my father's router has been unsecured for some time. Not long, I know that, as I did some stuff with it a couple of months ago. But, I installed it, originally, and enabled security. I changed the password recently, too. Well, on Friday, I was testing another laptop, and looked for the key/password, and the computer was already connected to out network (with a warning that it was unsecured). I don't know what happened, but something (or someone) removed the security setting from the router. If it was my father, it was purely accidental, as he doesn't know how to do that.

The sad part about this debate is that the Edison's of the world (commercial interests) will always beat out the Tesla's of the world (the dreamers) if there is money to be made. If there is buck to be made, the "practical" will seize upon the visions of the dreamers

I can just see it now if Tesla had his way with wireless electricity:

"Hey! He is stealing the juice to my lightbulb."

Read into what I said in many ways. Our society may have the capabilty to be truly wireless, but that technology is still ahead of its time because of how we think about "our stuff."

;):rolleyes: