is it legal to use neighbors wireless connection

achingknees

Is there something in that article to support your statement? And, if you notice, this fellow was NOT convicted of a felony.

Decent article but this is simply stupid:

Perhaps? That's straight-up criminal activity there. And if this guy can't see that, he's deluded.

BTW, I think this case supports my earlier contention that it really depends upon the situation. In this case, the guy regularly drove to the cafe for the express purposes of using the cafe's wireless signal, which was meant for customers of the cafe. It wasn't a mistake, wasn't because his computer automatically found the cafe's signal instead of his home network's signal and can't be defended by the notion that he wasn't consciously leaching the signal.

Also, the cafe owner leaves his signal open for his clients. Even though there are other ways to supply Internet access, that can dissuade leaching, it doesn't make this guy's signal fair game for everyone.

But, what about the person who lives next door to this cafe? He has wireless in his apartment, as do some others in his building. When he turns on his computer one day, instead of connecting to his, or his neighbor's connection (who leaves his connection unprotected, and allows his neighbors to use his signal), it automatically connects to the cafe's unprotected signal. Would you call that guy a criminal? I certainly wouldn't.

Whether a felony or not, he was still convicted, fined, did community service, etc.. he is still guilty of breaking the law which is what this thread is about. People plead down all the time. Don't be dense.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether a felony or not, he was still convicted, fined, did community service, etc.. he is still guilty of breaking the law which is what this thread is about. People plead down all the time. Don't be dense.

Still it doesn't back up your claim that "most are convicted", or your random tossing around of "felony"...and this was for BLATANT stealing of a signal.

So, don't be so dense.

Also, as is typical for you, you neglected to answer the question of the "innocent" user of another's signal.

What I want to know is who actually files a complaint with regards to this? The person who doesn't lock up their WiFi or the ISP?... What intiates the complaint process? I find it hard to believe it is a dimwit person with an open WiFI. Se what I am saying... How the heck do they even know somebody else is on it?... They don't even know how to lock the door... Does their ISP notify them then?

Again... To simplify this problem, the reasonable and EASIEST approach is to just assume any unlocked WiFi is public domain... Me thinks the ISP will never go for that... :thumbsup::wallbash:

Since morals are a personal belief of what is right and wrong, you've proven that the issue is NOT black and white for a population. Thanks.

Yes morals are relative, although a functioning society usually stays that way when people generally share the same moral code.

No worries, you've demonstrated quite often your disregard for other people's property.

Yes morals are relative, although a functioning society usually stays that way when people generally share the same moral code.

No worries, you've demonstrated quite often your disregard for other people's property.

It is a two-way street. I would be showing disregared for my own internet service (if you even want to say that it is really "mine") if I don't lock it up.

Again... Who really is pushing the complaints here... Sounds like the ISP's are. ?? Sounds like a money issue.

:thumbsup::wallbash: :wallbash: :rolleyes:

You're funny. :rolleyes:

The only thing I can think of that you might be referring to is the Bills DVDs... But you're breaking the same laws when you talk about a Bills game on TSW! Heck, you're breaking the law if you watch the game on a TV that's bigger than 55" according to the NFL! So have some respect for their property!!! :rolleyes:

(after the morning I've had, I really appreciate your post, thanks! :D )

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20070201/140812.shtml

:thumbsup::wallbash: :wallbash: :rolleyes:

You're funny. :rolleyes:

The only thing I can think of that you might be referring to is the Bills DVDs... But you're breaking the same laws when you talk about a Bills game on TSW! Heck, you're breaking the law if you watch the game on a TV that's bigger than 55" according to the NFL! So have some respect for their property!!! :rolleyes:

(after the morning I've had, I really appreciate your post, thanks! :D )

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20070201/140812.shtml

I'm guessing that you followed up on all the chains, and looked up the legal code and NFL's explanations on what they were arguing and their official policy?

Isn't this Internet great that when you type a search subject of an outrage, you get 1,000 hits, yet all of them lead to one (usually fact free) rant?

The property rights I'm referring to are for creators of original content, which to you are automatically free, because of the free rider syndrome.

Here's another analogy to ponder. You and a neighbor work across the street from one another. He drives to work. You do too. One day, you ask him to give you a ride in. He obliges. The next day, you're on his driveway again, say good morning and get in the car. You do that for a month. Why should you pay for the gas & maintenance of the car? The guy would be driving to work anyway, and there's no way that your incremental use of the car is of additional cost to him, because the passenger seat would be empty if you weren't in it.

It's perfectly legal for you to get a ride and benefit from the good grace of your neighbor who may or may not ask for a share of expenses. But it's a douchy thing for you not to offer to pay.

The property rights I'm referring to are for creators of original content, which to you are automatically free, because of the free rider syndrome.

WTF are you talking about? :wallbash::wallbash:

It's perfectly legal for you to get a ride and benefit from the good grace of your neighbor who may or may not ask for a share of expenses. But it's a douchy thing for you not to offer to pay.

So you're agreeing that using an unsecred wireless network isn't nice, but isn't wrong either? :thumbsup:

So you're agreeing that using an unsecred wireless network isn't nice, but isn't wrong either? :thumbsup:

Way to add reading comprehension to your skills:

Not once,

GG

post Feb 9 2009, 05:48 PM

Post #7

I think the dilemma is more along the lines of ethics than legality.

not, twice

GG

post Yesterday, 10:25 AM

Post #96

And again, this thread says more about people's ethics than it does about their legal reasoning.

not three times,

GG

Yesterday, 11:18 AM

Post #98

Yeah keep rationalizing things that it's ethically ok to take someone's stuff because they didn't take the the precautions to secure it.

let's make it four

GG

Yesterday, 11:43 AM

Post #103

But, in responding directly to the OP, where the user openly knows that he's pilfering an unprotected signal, along with most of the supportive responses, where the indication is obvious that someone is taking advantage of an unwitting participant, the ethical answer is clear.

Pompous? Yes.

Ethical? Also yes.

Sorry that I upset your moral code.

I have no moral code. In fact I don't use people's wireless; I just bust into their homes and plug right into the router. I grab a beer, a snack, sit my ass down on their couch and surf away. The odd time I may even drop a deuce or two and if they left their daughter home alone, look out.

I have no moral code. In fact I don't use people's wireless; I just bust into their homes and plug right into the router. I grab a beer, a snack, sit my ass down on their couch and surf away. The odd time I may even drop a deuce or two and if they left their daughter home alone, look out.

I have a moral code...that involves many of your same actions. But that's just because my moral code is centered around punishing stupid people.

Ta.

US Judge John Roll would find you innocent of these crimes in Arizona. :w00t:

US Judge John Roll would find you innocent of these crimes in Arizona. :w00t:

If the owner tried to kick him out, he could sue the owner for millions! Because even though he's illegally in the house committing a crime, he has every right to do so and not be harassed while doing it.

Ya, I am being lazy and I don't feel like looking it up... Somebody give this dolt (me) the Cliff Notes... Again, when somebody actaully files a complaint against someone using their wireless... A wireless network that was left open either by their own stupidity/volition, or because they are just too computer inept to understand the security concept of locking down their wireless network... I am to believe that person actually filed the complaint? And why? If they find somebody is on their network (highly unlikely given the types of people listed above), wouldn't they just lock it up then?

Maybe I am being naive, but can somebody tell me how a person gets dragged into court with regards to this matter?

I smell somekind of grand cop out here created by the ISP's or by the person subscribing with that ISP. Is that ethical?

What I am saying is that if someone is continually robbing your house because you are leaving the front/gargage door open, YOU LOCK IT UP. One does not continue to keep the door unlocked! End of story. What are cops gonna start making extra efforts/spending resources to start going down streets they think may been known to leave their doors left wide open.

Isn't it easier to educate people about locking their sh*t up instead of doing it the opposite way and throw all your time and energy at the would be thief.

Any UNLOCKED wireless should be treated just like leaving your stuff out at the curb on garbage day... Don't be surpised if the roving junker takes for theirselves what you leave out.

Simple solution without a lot of headaches.

Oh... I just wanted an excuse to link this too:

George Carlin on Stuff

Actually this is just a place for my stuff, ya know? That's all, a little place for my stuff. That's all I want, that's all you need in life, is a little place for your stuff, ya know? I can see it on your table, everybody's got a little place for their stuff. This is my stuff, that's your stuff, that'll be his stuff over there. That's all you need in life, a little place for your stuff. That's all your house is: a place to keep your stuff. If you didn't have so much stuff, you wouldn't need a house. You could just walk around all the time.

A house is just a pile of stuff with a cover on it. You can see that when you're taking off in an airplane. You look down, you see everybody's got a little pile of stuff. All the little piles of stuff. And when you leave your house, you gotta lock it up. Wouldn't want somebody to come by and take some of your stuff. They always take the good stuff. They never bother with that crap you're saving. All they want is the shiny stuff. That's what your house is, a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get...more stuff!

Sometimes you gotta move, gotta get a bigger house. Why? No room for your stuff anymore. Did you ever notice when you go to somebody else's house, you never quite feel a hundred percent at home? You know why? No room for your stuff. Somebody else's stuff is all over the goddamn place! And if you stay overnight, unexpectedly, they give you a little bedroom to sleep in. Bedroom they haven't used in about eleven years. Someone died in it, eleven years ago. And they haven't moved any of his stuff! Right next to the bed there's usually a dresser or a bureau of some kind, and there's NO ROOM for your stuff on it. Somebody else's sh-- is on the dresser.

Have you noticed that their stuff is sh-- and your sh-- is stuff? God! And you say, "Get that sh-- offa there and let me put my stuff down!"

Sometimes you leave your house to go on vacation. And you gotta take some of your stuff with you. Gotta take about two big suitcases full of stuff, when you go on vacation. You gotta take a smaller version of your house. It's the second version of your stuff. And you're gonna fly all the way to Honolulu. Gonna go across the continent, across half an ocean to Honolulu. You get down to the hotel room in Honolulu and you open up your suitcase and you put away all your stuff. "Here's a place here, put a little bit of stuff there, put some stuff here, put some stuff--you put your stuff there, I'll put some stuff--here's another place for stuff, look at this, I'll put some stuff here..." And even though you're far away from home, you start to get used to it, you start to feel okay, because after all, you do have some of your stuff with you. That's when your friend calls up from Maui, and says, "Hey, why don'tchya come over to Maui for the weekend and spend a couple of nights over here."

Oh, no! Now what do I pack? Right, you've gotta pack an even SMALLER version of your stuff. The third version of your house. Just enough stuff to take to Maui for a coupla days. You get over to Maui--I mean you're really getting extended now, when you think about it. You got stuff ALL the way back on the mainland, you got stuff on another island, you got stuff on this island. I mean, supply lines are getting longer and harder to maintain. You get over to your friend's house on Maui and he gives you a little place to sleep, a little bed right next to his windowsill or something. You put some of your stuff up there. You put your stuff up there. You got your Visine, you got your nail clippers, and you put everything up. It takes about an hour and a half, but after a while you finally feel okay, say, "All right, I got my nail clippers, I must be okay." That's when your friend says, "Aaaaay, I think tonight we'll go over the other side of the island, visit a pal of mine and maybe stay over."

Aww, no. NOW what do you pack? Right--you gotta pack an even SMALLER version of your stuff. The fourth version of your house. Only the stuff you know you're gonna need. Money, keys, comb, wallet, lighter, hanky, pen, smokes, rubber and change. Well, only the stuff you HOPE you're gonna need.

All material written and owned by George Carlin.

There are few people here who know how !@#$ing funny that really is...

Yes. Did you see how cleverly he brought up several old tidbits of conversations and tidily jammed them all together? Not many people would get all those allusions, man. We're on the INside.