Scientology

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What & you think the Catholic Church isn't? Only difference is that they've got about a 2000 yr head start.

:blink:

Christian Science (not Scientology)

Mormonism

etc.

Look at any religion formed in the recent past and you see it for what it is. Very charismatic leader convinces others he/she speaks for god and people follow. I'm sure every religion started that way.

PTR

Zarnoff: [introducing the Zoltan cult] My name is Zarnoff. This is Zabu, Zellnor, Zelbor, Zelmina, and, uh, Jeff.

Jeff: Hey.

"We will now use the power of the Continuum Transfunctioner to banish you to Hoboken, New Jersey. "

I spoke w/ my niece the other day. She lives in the Clearwater Fla area, and she said that down there, the scientologists have their own bus system.

It's been a while since I've seen them - but I report a sighting. This Saturday, I took my wife for a routine, due, eye exam at the Doc fixed at the hip to a LensCrafters store in a local mall.

They had a table set up in an aisle, with two pair of rather vacuous eyes holding up cardboard signs and hawking the Dianetics book. On either side were hawkers of cell phones and accessories - those folks make my mind picture the Biblical money lenders in Herod's Temple.

It's been a while since I've seen them - but I report a sighting. This Saturday, I took my wife for a routine, due, eye exam at the Doc fixed at the hip to a LensCrafters store in a local mall.

They had a table set up in an aisle, with two pair of rather vacuous eyes holding up cardboard signs and hawking the Dianetics book. On either side were hawkers of cell phones and accessories - those folks make my mind picture the Biblical money lenders in Herod's Temple.

Yeah, I think my mother and girlfriend consider the local mall to be something of a temple too.

What & you think the Catholic Church isn't? Only difference is that they've got about a 2000 yr head start.

:thumbsup:

Gotta give the Catholic Church some credit. They've got a 2000 year old money-making scam going on and most people are none the wiser.

:thumbsup:

Right.

I guess you failed to notice universities like Loyola, St. Johns, St Bonnie, Notre Dame, Niagara, Villlanova . Thousands of grade schools and high schools, educating hundreds of thousands in crime-free circumstances.

Get rid of them, eh? You surely won't mind school taxes zooming. If you happen to have to pay them.

Countless missions providing health care and education throughout the globe, expending billions of dollars donated gladly by folks. Mother Teresa - heard of her?

Some of the world's great architectures, paintings, music. Philosophers, scientists. Keepers of the spark of knowledge and civility during the Dark Ages. What a bunch of rot, hmm?

Hospitals everywhere. If you happen to live in Buffalo, and you or a loved one is in dire medical need, make sure that that ambulance doesn't take you or yours to Sisters, Deaconess, or Kenmore Mercy. You show 'em that you're no fool.

Right. After all, they are just like Scientology...eh?

Right.

I guess you failed to notice universities like Loyola, St. Johns, St Bonnie, Notre Dame, Niagara, Villlanova . Thousands of grade schools and high schools, educating hundreds of thousands in crime-free circumstances.

Get rid of them, eh? You surely won't mind school taxes zooming. If you happen to have to pay them.

Countless missions providing health care and education throughout the globe, expending billions of dollars donated gladly by folks. Mother Teresa - heard of her?

Some of the world's great architectures, paintings, music. Philosophers, scientists. Keepers of the spark of knowledge and civility during the Dark Ages. What a bunch of rot, hmm?

Hospitals everywhere. If you happen to live in Buffalo, and you or a loved one is in dire medical need, make sure that that ambulance doesn't take you or yours to Sisters, Deaconess, or Kenmore Mercy. You show 'em that you're no fool.

I think the comparison was involved more with the mythological foundation of the church, and less about the results.

Right.

If they paid taxes on their property and profits, I would be much happier. Of course, that would mean the Church would have to open their books, if they wanted to claim to be "not for profit".

I think the biggest problem with trying to distinguish a cult from a religion is it determines who gets a free-ride from the Gov't. Tax them all...THAT separates Church and State, IMO.

Right.

You left out Pat Robertson's protein powder. Where would we be without that?