Congratulations to the Republicans

I'm actually serious. I think they did the right thing, and as good as they could have. Apparently, the bill now has 42% tax breaks and 58% spending. The Dems cut out about 120 billion of spending off the bill because of the stink the GOP made. They played their cards right and the result, unless something unforeseen happens, is that Obama gets his bill passed, close to the amount he originally wanted, but the Dems had to give in on a lot of crap they wanted that probably shouldn't have been there. But this is how it's supposed to work.

It's a big victory to Obama and it's a big victory for the Republicans, too. They didnt get steamrolled but they didn't give in either. A lot of them will still say they hate it, and that's fine, and they probably still do. But they probably did as well as they could have. Some of the spending will probably return but IMO it won't be much.

Do you think they put things in that they knew they would cut- just to make it look like they were compromising?

No, I just think some of them went hogwild because they were greedy pigs, and some of them went hogwild because they thought this was a chance to get good programs (in their minds) funded when they couldnt get them funded before. Both of those things were just wrong and the Dems in the house were to blame. Although I do think that only a relatively small percentage of the actual bill was total nonsense, and a lot of that nonsense is gone.

But this is how it's supposed to work.

Actually, its not. Its supposed to start out with a solid idea on how to make America better, and then refine that idea behvaing the two parties battle it out.

Unfortunately, what we got was one extremely misguided idea trying to be made crappier by the Democrats and slightly less crappy by the Republicans. Lipstick on a pig, if you will.

Actually, its not. Its supposed to start out with a solid idea on how to make America better, and then refine that idea behvaing the two parties battle it out.

Unfortunately, what we got was one extremely misguided idea trying to be made crappier by the Democrats and slightly less crappy by the Republicans. Lipstick on a pig, if you will.

Bluefire FTW

No offense, but you two are hardly paragons of moderation. You both dog liberals every chance you get, say the republicans are almost as bad, yet never direct your humor their way. JMO, prove me wrong with links.

I won't speak for BF here, but I could easily dog Republicans just as well as Democrats as I have not ties to either fruity little club. But there's plenty of posters here who already hate on the Republicans (PJ, nozzlenut, johnny coolaid, etc) while giving the members of their own fruity little club a free pass

So why repeat what's already been said?

But let's get to the root of you're problem. You're just frustrated I haven't been logging into GLB to train Mecha Streisand

I won't speak for BF here, but I could easily dog Republicans just as well as Democrats as I have not ties to either fruity little club. But there's plenty of posters here who already hate on the Republicans (PJ, nozzlenut, johnny coolaid, etc) while giving the members of their own fruity little club a free pass

So why repeat what's already been said?

But let's get to the root of you're problem. You're just frustrated I haven't been logging into GLB to train Mecha Streisand

Umm no, you were inactive? Gwen handles the defense. We are going slowbuild this next season. Edit - Why would you not train? I pay all my players to max equip and let anyone go that asks.

Care to address my actual point? Seeing as how there are very partisan conservatives on the board. My actual point was addressed to BF, I just seized on your post. You, however, are almost as guilty in my eyes.

No, I just think some of them went hogwild because they were greedy pigs, and some of them went hogwild because they thought this was a chance to get good programs (in their minds) funded when they couldnt get them funded before. Both of those things were just wrong and the Dems in the house were to blame. Although I do think that only a relatively small percentage of the actual bill was total nonsense, and a lot of that nonsense is gone.

I meant do you think the democrats intentionally put things in, just so they could concede them and look good in doing it?

I meant do you think the democrats intentionally put things in, just so they could concede them and look good in doing it?

I would expect so. Just as I would expect the Republicans asked for cuts that they knew they could concede on in order to compromise, as well. Similar to any negotiation, you always go in lower or higher (depending on if you're buying or selling) than what you're really prepared to pay/sell for.

No offense, but you two are hardly paragons of moderation. You both dog liberals every chance you get, say the republicans are almost as bad, yet never direct your humor their way. JMO, prove me wrong with links.

Moderation is not a virtue. Truth is not moderate and is not a compromise between one extreme and another. Just because 2+2 doesn't equal 1 or 1,000,000 doesn't mean 500,000 is the answer.

We got into this mess with spending, and spending and consumption is not the answer. Bluefire is dead-on. Bi-partisanship in this country is nothing more than agreements to destroy mutually rather than in a partisan manner.

Moderation is not a virtue. Truth is not moderate and is not a compromise between one extreme and another. Just because 2+2 doesn't equal 1 or 1,000,000 doesn't mean 500,000 is the answer.

We got into this mess with spending, and spending and consumption is not the answer. Bluefire is dead-on. Bi-partisanship in this country is nothing more than agreements to destroy mutually rather than in a partisan manner.

So Republicans are the way to go? Is that your stance?

I will speak clearly here, I think both parties suck and are willing to play the "game" as long as we let them get away with it. We shouldn't let them get away with it. Play your partisan games though. Does it make you feel all snuggly when you go to bed?

I'm actually serious. I think they did the right thing, and as good as they could have.

:

It's a big victory to Obama and it's a big victory for the Republicans, too. They didnt get steamrolled but they didn't give in either. A lot of them will still say they hate it, and that's fine, and they probably still do. But they probably did as well as they could have. Some of the spending will probably return but IMO it won't be much.

This is what was said when the Republicans came around and supported TARP. Everybody still happy with that one?

I was angry about the 3 Republicans who sold out, but read in the WSJ this morning how this was a win for the center, as it was 20 combined Dems/Reps that made this compromise. The left and right are both angry about the compromise, so I guess that's a good thing. Although a much bigger win for the left.

The dems aren't that smart. (And to be fair, either are the repubs... :thumbsup: ).

This is an enthalpy v. entropy debate. IMO, I fall on the side of entropy: stability gained from being random.

If you think my post was "go Republicans", you're completely and utterly incorrect. They did the same, exact, idiotic thing not that long ago.

Feel free to search the forum, I've gone off on both sides. I've been dogging liberals every chance I get lately because I disagree with a lot of what Obama is doing, and let's face it, he's been the popular one of the past year and a half.