Where Does Vince Young Rank...........

H2o

I'd say that he has to be right up there at this point. The guy was a #3 overall pick with expectations that exceed the place that he was selected at. He had a couple of decent/sub par seasons running around on the field, but has never had any resemblance of an NFL QB IMO. Then he falls apart because he gets booed by fans that were upset with his play on the field? Now he can't even get back in there ahead of Kerry Collins. I'd say he's right in there with the Ryan Leaf's, Robert Gallery's, Mike Williams', and Charles Rogers' of this world. It won't be long before the guy is sitting on the coach at home, dipping his Tostitos, and screaming at the TV EVERY Sunday just like the rest of us. Sad, but true none the less.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say that he has to be right up there at this point. The guy was a #3 overall pick with expectations that exceed the place that he was selected at. He had a couple of decent/sub par seasons running around on the field, but has never had any resemblance of an NFL QB IMO. Then he falls apart because he gets booed by fans that were upset with his play on the field? Now he can't even get back in there ahead of Kerry Collins. I'd say he's right in there with the Ryan Leaf's, Robert Gallery's, Mike Williams', and Charles Rogers' of this world. It won't be long before the guy is sitting on the coach at home, dipping his Tostitos, and screaming at the TV EVERY Sunday just like the rest of us. Sad, but true none the less.

And he doesn't even qualify for the Madden curse, because he sucked before he was on the cover. What a pathetic career he's had so far.

just like the rest of us. Sad, but true none the less.

One thing that differentiates him (and the other busts) is that they are just like the rest of us except that they sit a little higher on the couch because their wallets are so full of cash.

I think the truth is that the situation with these draft bust is certainly unfortunate. To have talent go to waste is always unfortunate.

However, these players have parlayed their great play in college into being set for life financially unless the fall prey to Art Shlichter disease.

Falling victim to things like the demon of gambling is sad. Vince Young also apparently might suffer from some somewhat severe psychological issues (who knows whether they are a cause or an effect of his failed play) that may make this one a sad tale to me (though it would seem a bit high-handed for us to declare someone with a mental illness as being at fault IMHO).

Is the Vince Young situation unfortunate? I would say yes. Sad? probably not from what I think we can know as unless Vince proves to be mentally ill at worse he is laughing all the way to the bank.

Horrendous post. Is this what TSW has come to in the offseason? Vince Young was a pro-bowler in 2006 and if you recall, in that game against the Bills, was absolutely insane. By the end of 2006 and for parts of 2007, he literally looked like a man amongst boys. The guy has once in a generation talent, but clearly has some sort of mental issues. But mentioning him in the same post as Ryan Leaf, Mike Williams and Charles Rogers?!? Come on man.

By the end of 2006 and for parts of 2007, he literally looked like a man amongst boys.

I don't think so at all:

Passing Stats

YEAR TEAM G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT

2006 TEN 15 184 357 51.5 2199 6.2 12 53 13 66.7

2007 TEN 15 238 382 62.3 2546 6.7 9 73 17 71.1

2008 TEN 3 22 36 61.1 219 6.1 1 54 2 64.5

Career 33 444 775 57.3 4964 6.4 22 73 32 68.8

Rushing Stats

YEAR TEAM G ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST

2006 TEN 15 83 552 6.7 39 7 31 6 2

2007 TEN 15 93 395 4.2 21 3 24 5 1

2008 TEN 3 8 27 3.4 8 0 0 0 0

Career 33 184 974 5.3 39 10 55 11 3

Horrendous post. Is this what TSW has come to in the offseason? Vince Young was a pro-bowler in 2006 and if you recall, in that game against the Bills, was absolutely insane. By the end of 2006 and for parts of 2007, he literally looked like a man amongst boys. The guy has once in a generation talent, but clearly has some sort of mental issues. But mentioning him in the same post as Ryan Leaf, Mike Williams and Charles Rogers?!? Come on man.

Everyone was all over the guy's jock for no reason IMO. He was another running QB that could not consistently throw the ball with any type of accuracy except on little dump offs. That's it. He beat us with his legs, not with some kind of HOF peformance. Overrated, unstable, and soon to be out of the NFL after being the #3 overall selection = BUST.

I'd refer all of you accusing Vince Young of busting to the recent James Hardy thread on this board.

Quarterback is the toughest position to play in the NFL. He played in an offense at Texas which didn't remotely resemble a pro attack. He showed glimpses of his potential and at times played brilliantly before his nosedive.

When, Young stumbled as young quarterbacks often do, Kerry Collins played well enough (analogous to Kurt Warner and Matt Leinart) to keep him on the bench. The Titans were not going to change horses in midstream after Collins got them out of the gates undefeated.

It's too early to say he's a bust just like it's too early for Leinart and JaMarcus Russell.

He was a pro bowler because idiot fans voted him in. He never looked like a man amongst boys, except for maybe against the Bills. :wallbash: Once in a generation talent? That there is a SERIOUS statement. You're basically saying he is the most physically talented player in the NFL right now, and probably of the decade. No way.

22 TDs and 32 INTs in his career. A career passer rating of 68.8. Career completion percentage of 57. All of those stats are just horrendous.

Once in a generation talent?? Are you kidding?

He was a pro bowler because idiot fans voted him in. He never looked like a man amongst boys, except for maybe against the Bills. :wallbash: Once in a generation talent? That there is a SERIOUS statement. You're basically saying he is the most physically talented player in the NFL right now, and probably of the decade. No way.

22 TDs and 32 INTs in his career. A career passer rating of 68.8. Career completion percentage of 57. All of those stats are just horrendous.

Just to add to that, he also has 10 rushing TD's, but has 11 fumbles to go along with them.

I'd refer all of you accusing Vince Young of busting to the recent James Hardy thread on this board.

Quarterback is the toughest position to play in the NFL. He played in an offense at Texas which didn't remotely resemble a pro attack. He showed glimpses of his potential and at times played brilliantly before his nosedive.

When, Young stumbled as young quarterbacks often do, Kerry Collins played well enough (analogous to Kurt Warner and Matt Leinart) to keep him on the bench. The Titans were not going to change horses in midstream after Collins got them out of the gates undefeated.

It's too early to say he's a bust just like it's too early for Leinart and JaMarcus Russell.

Agreed. I wasn't calling him a bust when he ran all over us to knock us out of playoff contention a few years ago

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Vince Young will not be out of the NFL anytime soon. He could be dropped next week and more than half the NFL would be trying to figure out how to get this guy on their team. Like alot of young Qbs he has been wildly inconsistent but the difference is, Vince has a much higher ceiling. The Titans sure as hell haven't given up on him and he's going to be their future starter. Obviously he has had his personal issues this year but don't mistake that for something it's not. He's a competitor and I'd take him on the Bills in a second. I'm not saying I like him better than Trent but neither are a sure thing. When Vince has played well, he has played at a level that Trent hasn't shown. As far as Hardy goes, what has he shown at all? I know the 3 year rule that everybody likes to live and die by, but I don't get the comparison. While I don't advocate calling him a "bust", I refuse to stick my head in the sand and ignore his play until the third season. Watching how all three of these guys play the game is the only way to get a feel on their potential. The stats don't mean half as much.

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Vince Young will not be out of the NFL anytime soon. He could be dropped next week and more than half the NFL would be trying to figure out how to get this guy on their team. Like alot of young Qbs he has been wildly inconsistent but the difference is, Vince has a much higher ceiling. The Titans sure as hell haven't given up on him and he's going to be their future starter. Obviously he has had his personal issues this year but don't mistake that for something it's not. He's a competitor and I'd take him on the Bills in a second. I'm not saying I like him better than Trent but neither are a sure thing. When Vince has played well, he has played at a level that Trent hasn't shown. As far as Hardy goes, what has he shown at all? I know the 3 year rule that everybody likes to live and die by, but I don't get the comparison. While I don't advocate calling him a "bust", I refuse to stick my head in the sand and ignore his play until the third season. Watching how all three of these guys play the game is the only way to get a feel on their potential. The stats don't mean half as much.

That's easy to say, but imagine if he had been playing in Buffalo for the last 3 season with similar statistical results. We would have run him out of town soooo long ago.

The devolution into extremism is simply one of the sadder aspects of humanity. It happens in the larger culture with folks from MSNBC to Fox-TV making big bucks off pandering to extreme views even though both networks are often quite stupid in their depictions of reality.

If this can happen regarding the serious issues of war and peace, its no wonder that also it becomes a part of important trivia like the NFL.

I think that the attitude which can serve one best is to generally roll your eyes at this silliness and comment from time to time on the bizarrely extreme view of the world that was shown in the lead post in this thread.