The Bills are no better today

BillsVet

Trent is a THIRD YEAR VET with 2 solid years of STARTING experience. Two ROOKIE QB's led their teams to the playoffs.

He's a second year vet with a 3rd approaching when the season starts. How anyone thinks Flacco is better is beyond me. I admit he can be better, but he's not better right now. We don't even have a #1 WR let alone a Heap or Mason on our team.

Matt Ryan looked great for a first round pick 3rd overall at a salary at around $12 mil a year if you count the bonus. He also has a #1 WR, something we lack.

As a soon to be 3rd year vet and these guys are 2nd year vets let's give Trent a #1 WR and a TE. Somehow they help QBs and help teams. The idiotic stat that the QB wins games and the records are on them alone is so idiotic. I'm sure Trent Dilfer finds it very humorous.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I KNOW Trent would not have led the Ravens to the playoffs. BILL you are the only person on this board that keeps talking about JP, & I know that all through 09 as Trent STRUGGLES you will say "JP would not have played any better" even though he is NO LONGER a Bill.

FBF, since you have come to this board, virtually all have your posts have been: "Trent sucks" or "Losman is great." Hey....would Losman have taken the ravens to the playoffs or the toilet. Maybe he would have won them a superbowl? Which is it in your opinion?

You gave Losman 5 years plus of patience and support, yet you blame Trent, who btw is clearly superior, for being what is most wrong with the team. Any sane person could see the inequity in this equation.

"keepthefaith" loves Losman as much as you, but even he can clearly see that Jauron/Levy are what is wrong with this team. The Bills were poorly constructed and are poorly coached. Oh, and almost every position on both sides of the ball is worse off than we are at quarterback. Trent will be a year older, and a backup such as Charlie Frye would provide us with better depth than we had last year.

Yeah I KNOW Trent would not have led the Ravens to the playoffs. BILL you are the only person on this board that keeps talking about JP, & I know that all through 09 as Trent STRUGGLES you will say "JP would not have played any better" even though he is NO LONGER a Bill.

You don't have a leg to stand on, statistically speaking, to back up that statement. How the heck do you KNOW Trent would not have led the Ravens to the playoffs. They got there because of their defense, it doesn't even take a good QB effort.

You don't have a leg to stand on, statistically speaking, to back up that statement. How the heck do you KNOW Trent would not have led the Ravens to the playoffs. They got there because of their defense, it doesn't even take a good QB effort.

Don't waste your time. Losman fans live in their own reality. Up is down. Right is wrong. Left is right. Losman good, Edwards sucks.

I would argue that almost any starting QB this year would have taken the Ravens to the playoffs this year. I think Flacco has a good future but if Flacco & Edward switched teams, there would be no difference. In fact, I think the Ravens might ahve had a better shot against the Steelers because of how Warner played against them in the Super Bowl. Did Warner throw a pass longer than 10 yards?

neither does bill from nyc with his "trent, who btw is clearly superior" statement.

it's almost a certainty that edwards would have missed time if he'd played for the ravens imo

So I guess that more GMs around the league would prefer Losman to Edwards. Is that it? :wallbash::wallbash:

I don't know. I'm guessing not. Trent hasn't done anything to make me think he'll ever be equal to Losman's 2006. I'm not saying that he won't be better than Losman, but all I see now is people swinging from his sack because he's not JP Losman.

And Bill, you still have not given example of why Edwards is "clearly superior".

Trent threw for more yards per game, threw for a better yards per attempt (which directly refutes your theory that Trent had the high completion percentage because he threw shorter passes), had a higher completion percentage, had a higher QB rating, took less sacks, and fumbled fewer times. All of those statistics are relatively close, but you simply cannot use them to say Flacco had a flat-out better season. You honestly want to tell me that Trent couldn't have led the Ravens to the playoffs?

There is something called YAC. That stands for yards after catch & is included in yards per game & yards per attempt. Flacco had a QB rating of 90 over the last 11 games, what was Trents QB rating over that streatch?

Three years ago the Bills entered the offseason fresh off a 5-11 record, the firing of a maniacal GM and an abrupt departure of their HC. In came Levy and Jauron to right the ship, but three 7-9 seasons later it would seem only the means to achieve mediocrity have changed.

In 06, the Bills schedule included 8 games against eventual playoff teams. In those eight contests, Buffalo managed a 1-7 record, while going 6-2 against other opponents. The Bills entered the bye week 2-5, but finished 5-4. Beating the Jets 31-13 in the Meadowlands represented their lone victory versus a playoff-bound team. Buffalo's combined opponents winning percentage was .539. 06 Bills strength of schedule

Fast forward to 08. Buffalo played the 31st ranked strength of schedule, finished 2-8 in their final 10 after starting 5-1.

Individual player talent may be similar from 06 to 08, but the end results suggest that the sum isn't nearly greater than the parts. Upgrades are still required at a host of positions, namely C, TE, SLB, and DE. Contrast that with the varying and obvious needs this team has had after 06, 07, and 08 and it seems nothing changes in the end.

We're much much younger. Our last QB didn't work out for us. We have to hope that this one does. And we no longer even have to think about the salary cap. The players have been selected with the system in mind.

There's a pretty good chance that we could seriously take off this year or next. Rebuilding takes time, particularly if you draft a young QB as we did.

Seasons that refrain has been heard among Bills fans since 2006: 3

The goal of rebuilding remains to improve and contend for a title. Not improving or getting worse probably means the power brokers in the front office don't know how to get better. But that's another story.

Rebuilding takes time. Yeah, it has been heard all over the boards that next year could be our year again and again. But not by the more realistic among us. JP only looked good coming into the 2007 season before we knew that our OC had cleverly changed the system to play to JP's weaknesses rather than his strengths. But even if you thought it would be JP's year, once we got rid of Fletcher and Spikes, the defense simply didn't look very good and hasn't for a while. We've gotten younger now and that's a complete necessity for a rebuild. It just takes time. It's not pleasant to hear, or to say, for that matter, but it takes time when you rebuild the right way, largely using the draft.

There is something called YAC. That stands for yards after catch & is included in yards per game & yards per attempt. Flacco had a QB rating of 90 over the last 11 games, what was Trents QB rating over that streatch?

Until you provide a statistic that shows me the Bills had a significantly higher YAC rate as a team than the Ravens, that argument holds no weight. And Trent's first 5 games were MUCH superior to Flacco's. Are a QB's numbers down the stretch more important than his statistics at the beginning of the season? Clearly you trust QB rating as a grading system for QBs, and Trent had the higher QB rating this season. His was 85, Flacco's was 80. No bones about it.

I don't know. I'm guessing not. Trent hasn't done anything to make me think he'll ever be equal to Losman's 2006. I'm not saying that he won't be better than Losman, but all I see now is people swinging from his sack because he's not JP Losman.

And Bill, you still have not given example of why Edwards is "clearly superior".

Well, if you take away arm strength and foot speed, I make the case that Trent is better in all other areas. Even being inexperienced, he was able to win some games for us in the 4th quarter. JP didn't do this. He lost games, and I am not even being a wiseass.

I agree with 7-9 unless the Bills SUPPRISE us all this off season with some fantastic moves, which means the Bills have not improved all that much since 2005.

I guess you really didn't read my post.

Don't waste your time. Losman fans live in their own reality. Up is down. Right is wrong. Left is right. Losman good, Edwards sucks.

I would argue that almost any starting QB this year would have taken the Ravens to the playoffs this year. I think Flacco has a good future but if Flacco & Edward switched teams, there would be no difference. In fact, I think the Ravens might ahve had a better shot against the Steelers because of how Warner played against them in the Super Bowl. Did Warner throw a pass longer than 10 yards?

It's just as much the other way around.

Losman bad, Trent magnificent. Gravity pulls up, stats don't matter, poise is the only important thing.

I might agree about that Ravens thing. Any half-decent QB, including both Losman and Trent, could have taken that team to the playoffs. Partly because they have considerably better offensive systems and play-calling than we have. Let's hope that Schonert has learned - as you would think he would - from his first year and will improve a good deal this year.

Three years ago the Bills entered the offseason fresh off a 5-11 record, the firing of a maniacal GM and an abrupt departure of their HC. In came Levy and Jauron to right the ship, but three 7-9 seasons later it would seem only the means to achieve mediocrity have changed.

In 06, the Bills schedule included 8 games against eventual playoff teams. In those eight contests, Buffalo managed a 1-7 record, while going 6-2 against other opponents. The Bills entered the bye week 2-5, but finished 5-4. Beating the Jets 31-13 in the Meadowlands represented their lone victory versus a playoff-bound team. Buffalo's combined opponents winning percentage was .539. 06 Bills strength of schedule

Fast forward to 08. Buffalo played the 31st ranked strength of schedule, finished 2-8 in their final 10 after starting 5-1.

Individual player talent may be similar from 06 to 08, but the end results suggest that the sum isn't nearly greater than the parts. Upgrades are still required at a host of positions, namely C, TE, SLB, and DE. Contrast that with the varying and obvious needs this team has had after 06, 07, and 08 and it seems nothing changes in the end.

What? Are you crazy? We are a lot better than we were 3 years ago...our issue is that we are no better at QUARTERBACK than we were 3 years ago.

Our QB play between Trent and JP was terrible in 2008...Trent only passed for more than one TD once and it was when he threw a whopping 2 against the worst pass D in the league in KC. Trent only passed for more than 200 yards 6 times and only has amassed 200 yards in 8 of his 24 games in his career with never eclipsing the 300 yard mark...

However, we are much improved in most other areas;

Interior D Line is much better

O Line is much better as it was amongst the worst in the league 3 years ago

Our RB's are MUCH improved

Our WR's are better as Reed has improved and Lee is still Lee

Our Secondary is much better

Our LB core (when healthy) is probably about the same

Our ST is even better

Weaker areas are DE as Schobel has aged and been injured since

Areas that are about the same are:

QB - Still no production, still sucks

TE - Sucked then, sucks now

I swear, this board is full of drama queens...

FAR better shape? 2005 was a losing season. Let me see, so were '06, '07 & '08. In today's NFL, isn't it almost impossible to have four consecutive losing seasons with free agency and the cap? But since the Bills are, as you say, in FAR better shape then four years ago, we can expect what, maybe 8-8-0 in 2009??

Only a sensational off season of free agent signings and drafting will give the Bills any chance of rising above their current state of losing with DJ at the helm.

I'm talking about on-field talent. Do an unit-by-unit analysis for yourself, and see what you think.

You are talking about record, and by that measure, the team is 2 wins better.

Listen, I understand that people are frustrated because the team continues to fail on the field. But, the simplistic level of bashing, by many on this board, is really silly. It provides nothing to the intelligent analysis of where the team is, and what needs to be done. Some of our members have cited horrible QB play, a bad offensive line, the worst defensive line in football, midget wide receivers, defensive backs that couldn't start on other teams, a horrible head coach, etc. You have to wonder how the Bills managed to win 7 games.

In reality, IMO, this team is much improved over the 2005 edition. A unit-by-unit analysis, which I have presented to little rebuttal, reveals that most units are improved, and younger. In 2005, many of the best players on the team were aging, and the team had many, many holes. Today, there is a talented and younger unit, on the field. Yes, there are a few positions that still need to be addressed, but the situation is far different that it was in 2005.

Perhaps we forget the Bills won the first four games of the year, and stood at 5-1, at one point. Now, it is true that the schedule wasn't as tough as it could be, but, if I am not mistaken, ALL of the team the Bills beat were NFL teams, and San Diego was one of those teams. Can you imagine the 2005 team having that run?

In my eyes, the real disappointment is this team totally collapsed after that initial run. With the exception of the win in Denver, the second two-thirds of the season was a disaster. But...why? I think you can easily find three games where the losses can be pinned directly on coaching...bad play calls, or decisions. Without those horrible calls, this team would likely be 10-6. Still not great, and likely still not a playoff team, but would you still be comparing this team to the 2005 unit?

FBF, since you have come to this board, virtually all have your posts have been: "Trent sucks" or "Losman is great." Hey....would Losman have taken the ravens to the playoffs or the toilet. Maybe he would have won them a superbowl? Which is it in your opinion?

You gave Losman 5 years plus of patience and support, yet you blame Trent, who btw is clearly superior, for being what is most wrong with the team. Any sane person could see the inequity in this equation.

"keepthefaith" loves Losman as much as you, but even he can clearly see that Jauron/Levy are what is wrong with this team. The Bills were poorly constructed and are poorly coached. Oh, and almost every position on both sides of the ball is worse off than we are at quarterback. Trent will be a year older, and a backup such as Charlie Frye would provide us with better depth than we had last year.

My "love" for JP dropped several notches this year. He had some opportunities to show well and for the most part did not. I do still feel that he can be a very good player on the right team with the right coaching. Trent looked to me like his game by the end of the year was no better or even worse than where he started early last year. That's a bad pattern by QBs playing on the Jauron Bills. Trent's best hope is that he gets a new head coach soon. JP's gonna get that before Trent.

He was decent enough to be named Rookie of the year. He played MUCH better than Trent last year & that is a fact. If Flacco was on the Bills in 08, I think the Bills make the playoffs.

No he didn't you friggin blind fool

The fact of the matter is that we are much better at our QB position then we have in a long time and it is only improving.

Too many of you are so negative about everything that you carry your dreary pathetic lives onto this message board. You can't get the shiaat out of your eyes and see whats good.

People want to trade Lynch, people want to cut Peters, people want to bash Edwards. I guarantee you that these three players will have a succeful NFL career, hopefully the morons like a lot of you won't run them out of town.

One Andy Jackson says the Bills will not win more than 5 games next season. The schedule is outright brutal and with Jauron and his "consistancy" at the wheel, this is likely to be a loooong season, starting with the HOF game.

Bad management + good employees = bad results.

five games, woo hooo