The Bills are no better today

BillsVet

Anybody who thinks Joe Flacco "led" the Ravens to the playoffs wasn't paying close enough attention. More appropriately, he was decent enough that he didn't PREVENT them from making the playoffs.

He was decent enough to be named Rookie of the year. He played MUCH better than Trent last year & that is a fact. If Flacco was on the Bills in 08, I think the Bills make the playoffs.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this team is in FAR better shape than 2005, How many games do you predict the Bills will win in 09? As Dennis Green once said, you are what your record says you are.

Well, as Dick Jauron remains the head coach, I'd say 7-9, unless he makes some serious changes in his approach, and the coordinators improve in their play calling. I'm starting to think DJ would coach Arizona to a 7-9 record.

I'll make another prediction after I see what happens in the offseason. But, Miami showed what a change in philosophy can to to a team. Chad Pennington was a big upgrade at QB for that team, but he's not fully responsible for a one-win team improving to an eleven-win team.

He was decent enough to be named Rookie of the year. He played MUCH better than Trent last year & that is a fact. If Flacco was on the Bills in 08, I think the Bills make the playoffs.

Might you be thinking of Matt Ryan? Ya know, the guy that actually won Rookie of the Year. Also, Trent's and Flacco's numbers this year were incredibly similar, except for QB rating and completion percentage which Trent has a pretty good advantage in.

Might you be thinking of Matt Ryan? Ya know, the guy that actually won Rookie of the Year. Also, Trent's and Flacco's numbers this year were incredibly similar, except for QB rating and completion percentage which Trent has a pretty good advantage in.

NO I MEAN Joe Flacco who was named NFL ROOKIE OF THE YEAR. In the last 11 games of 08 Flacco went 9-2 with a QB rating of 90.2 while Trent flounderd & squandered a 5-1 start. The ONLY reason Trent has a decent completion percentage is he NEVER throws the ball more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage & many of his throws are either behind the line or within 5 yards of it. Next time get YOUR facts straight.

Well, as Dick Jauron remains the head coach, I'd say 7-9, unless he makes some serious changes in his approach, and the coordinators improve in their play calling. I'm starting to think DJ would coach Arizona to a 7-9 record.

I'll make another prediction after I see what happens in the offseason. But, Miami showed what a change in philosophy can to to a team. Chad Pennington was a big upgrade at QB for that team, but he's not fully responsible for a one-win team improving to an eleven-win team.

I agree with 7-9 unless the Bills SUPPRISE us all this off season with some fantastic moves, which means the Bills have not improved all that much since 2005.

NO I MEAN Joe Flacco who was named NFL ROOKIE OF THE YEAR. In the last 11 games of 08 Flacco went 9-2 with a QB rating of 90.2 while Trent flounderd & squandered a 5-1 start. The ONLY reason Trent has a decent completion percentage is he NEVER throws the ball more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage & many of his throws are either behind the line or within 5 yards of it. Next time get YOUR facts straight.

since we're using caps, MATT RYAN WON THE MOTHERFLIPPING ROOKIE OF THE YEAR. Are you, perchance, living in some parallel universe where Joe Flacco won the rookie of the year?

since we're using caps, MATT RYAN WON THE MOTHERFLIPPING ROOKIE OF THE YEAR. Are you, perchance, living in some parallel universe where Joe Flacco won the rookie of the year?

Yeah I guess I am. Joe Flacco WON the Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Year Award. Matt Ryan won the AP award.

Yeah I guess I am. Joe Flacco WON the Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Year Award. Matt Ryan won the AP award.

Hahahaaha, well OF COURSE that's what you were talking about. How could I NOT have known you were talking about the Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Year Award, the most esteemed prize in all of professional sports. By virtue of deliciousness, the Diet Pepsi award trumps the AP award. This is crackin me up. When you refer to "the rookie of the year", you're referring to the AP award.

Hahahaaha, well OF COURSE that's what you were talking about. How could I NOT have known you were talking about the Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Year Award, the most esteemed prize in all of professional sports. By virtue of deliciousness, the Diet Pepsi award trumps the AP award. This is crackin me up. When you refer to "the rookie of the year", you're referring to the AP award.

The fact is he WON rookie of the year, & BOTH he & Matt Ryan had a MUCH better year than Trent, leading their respective teams to the playoffs.

The fact is he WON rookie of the year, & BOTH he & Matt Ryan had a MUCH better year than Trent, leading their respective teams to the playoffs.

Trent threw for more yards per game, threw for a better yards per attempt (which directly refutes your theory that Trent had the high completion percentage because he threw shorter passes), had a higher completion percentage, had a higher QB rating, took less sacks, and fumbled fewer times. All of those statistics are relatively close, but you simply cannot use them to say Flacco had a flat-out better season. You honestly want to tell me that Trent couldn't have led the Ravens to the playoffs?

Total bulls#it. A unit-by-unit analysis, plus an examination of the age of key players and salaries, reveals this team is in FAR better shape than the mess it was in 2005.

FAR better shape? 2005 was a losing season. Let me see, so were '06, '07 & '08. In today's NFL, isn't it almost impossible to have four consecutive losing seasons with free agency and the cap? But since the Bills are, as you say, in FAR better shape then four years ago, we can expect what, maybe 8-8-0 in 2009??

Only a sensational off season of free agent signings and drafting will give the Bills any chance of rising above their current state of losing with DJ at the helm.

Well they may be better than the 05 team. The problem is relative strength in the division. Relative strength is the only test that counts.

They are not better relative to the other AFC East division teams. It is a very ugly situation to be in.

Right now if the Bills played every division team again I suspect a record of 0-3. Only dramatic off season moves will change that.

I'll take that bet with one caveat that we play those 3 teams with a full healthy team all our starters healthy like they were the first 4 games of last year.

you want to ignore injuries but thats BS that they dont mater is just that BS. we lost schobel and youboty and the d went downhill from there . thats not mentioning all the corners that then went down.

miami didnt have an injury all year until the last game when they lost a receiver. same for the jets a very healthy team and they still tanked down the stretch after being 8 and 3.

NE is the only exception but they are a very veteran expiranced team who can overcome injuries better than a young team can.

Although it sucks, your point has quite a bit of validity. There are quite a few things this team has in common with the team 3 years ago at this time.

1. We have a young quarterback with all the potential in the world, but after a couple years hasn't done much of anything yet.

2. We have a young running back with potential to be a star, that sometimes can't keep out of trouble in the off season.

3. We have a coach that at least half of the fan base wishes would be replaced.

4. We are at the bottom of the division (aren't we always lately-or at least close to it)

5. Coming off a season where the offensive game plan was pathetic.

6. More holes that need filled than the Titanic.

7. Heading into another season where they have thousands of fans (myself included) hyping some unfounded and unrealistic optimism for the next season.

Total bulls#it. A unit-by-unit analysis, plus an examination of the age of key players and salaries, reveals this team is in FAR better shape than the mess it was in 2005.

Anaylysis on paper may indicate "better", but the most important indicator, which is the record, clearly does not. And I think we all are pretty much in agreement as to why the record is not more in sync with the stats.

I'll take that bet with one caveat that we play those 3 teams with a full healthy team all our starters healthy like they were the first 4 games of last year.

you want to ignore injuries but thats BS that they dont mater is just that BS. we lost schobel and youboty and the d went downhill from there . thats not mentioning all the corners that then went down.

miami didnt have an injury all year until the last game when they lost a receiver. same for the jets a very healthy team and they still tanked down the stretch after being 8 and 3.

NE is the only exception but they are a very veteran expiranced team who can overcome injuries better than a young team can.

Baltimore had more guys on IR this year than the Bills did in 07 and almost made it to the Super Bowl. The Giants suffered some big injuries/losses at key positions. The Colts and Chargers made late season runs with nagging injury issues and made the playoffs. Even the Pittsburgh Steelers had 10 guys on IR. Those teams also happen to have better coaching and front offices.

The fact is every team has injuries, so you might as well plan for players to be lost to injury. The better teams have a front office that finds depth players that can play special teams AND can step up into the starting lineup when called upon. The better teams have coaches that can adjust to the players they have.

One Andy Jackson says the Bills will not win more than 5 games next season. The schedule is outright brutal and with Jauron and his "consistancy" at the wheel, this is likely to be a loooong season, starting with the HOF game.

Bad management + good employees = bad results.

That is exactly what he is telling you.....along with that JP could have. :wallbash:

Yeah I KNOW Trent would not have led the Ravens to the playoffs. BILL you are the only person on this board that keeps talking about JP, & I know that all through 09 as Trent STRUGGLES you will say "JP would not have played any better" even though he is NO LONGER a Bill.