bills to part ways with ...

mjohns85

even though, (according to this article) cutting kelsey doesn't free up salary cap room, I'm pretty sure RW's bottom line cost for 2010 would be less if he were to cut Kelsay than if he didn't. I think that's what really matters in RW's opinion. So if that is the case, then it would essentially free up some money to sign other players.

I wouldn't mind keeping Kelsey, but as everyone knows he is not worth anywhere near his salary. He would have to take a substantial pay cut to stay with the Bills in my view.

I usually take the optimistic view on things, because I know that there is no better way, but Kelsey has got to go.

Did anyone see the comment under the article? :w00t:

Funny thing, in 2007, a draft analyst I think very highly of (Chris Landry) said that the Bills had the "steal of the draft" in Dwayne Wright, whom he compared to a smaller Michael Turner... now I don't believe Wright is even on a NFL roster...I haven't seem much of Wrigth or Omon play, but what I have seen, wasn't much to get excited about...

For me, cutting any of those guys would be okay, but, strangely, the two least productive (McCargo and Simpson) probably have the most upside at this point. Kelsay and Royal aren't going to get any better. I thought McCargo was starting to play well, late in 2007...not sure what happened this year. Simpson had an awful 2008, but could be a valuable backup, if we can get a real safety. Experience can do wonders for DB's. Some of the greates ones ever, have had terrible starts to their careers.

Why would you cut Kelsay before you have a replacement? Especially if it saves no money?

The best approach is to bring in new players and let them compete for playing time. If someone beats out Kelsay, then Kelsay is the backup. If he's unhappy with that, trade him or cut him next year.

Great post. It's ludicrous to cut guys unless someone better is in place.

even though, (according to this article) cutting kelsey doesn't free up salary cap room, I'm pretty sure RW's bottom line cost for 2010 would be less if he were to cut Kelsay than if he didn't. I think that's what really matters in RW's opinion. So if that is the case, then it would essentially free up some money to sign other players.

I wouldn't mind keeping Kelsey, but as everyone knows he is not worth anywhere near his salary. He would have to take a substantial pay cut to stay with the Bills in my view.

I usually take the optimistic view on things, because I know that there is no better way, but Kelsey has got to go.

Yup. Cutting Kelsay saves no cap dollars, but it sure as hell saves 6 million in real dollars that ralph wouldn't need to pay kelsay in salary. Buffalo has so much cap room we hardly need to think about cap ramifications.

In the end I don't see Kelsay getting the boot, but if he's starting for this team next season on opening day something is very wrong.

Top notch DEs don't come out of thin air...Most of the teams in the NFL have an average DE on both sides of the line. There are very few teams that use better DEs...And then there are the teams like steelers that invest their pass rushing in their LBs and not their DEs...You have to get creative.

The other option is to draft and nurture them and grow them in a system where they can succeed...We have drafted them at the top (Kelsay was a top 2nd rounder and so was Denney) and Chris Ellis is a 3rd rounder...and we have not had success with these folks...Is it that these players stink or is our coaching system screwed ......

I don't see Kelsay going anywhere this season. He will be entrenched in the DL rotation. There is just not much top notch talent available and if they are they are usually sucked in by the Redskins, Cowboys or Patriots.

i read this earlier and just wondering everyones opinion on the article. personally i dont think i would miss any of these players.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Pat_M...nk_Slips_on_Feb

Simpson is at least a half step slow to play in the dbackfield...I was not a believer after 06, and was not suprised when he got yanked in 08. With Whitner not packing the gear to be a more physical player (a 5'9'' safety?), he gets the speed slot back there, and a bigger hitter will play Bryon Scott seems adequate...maybe Wendling will develope beyond special teams...he is a specimen...ala David Brandenburg (who never developed as a LB)

Kelsey is problematic....yep...release and sign for less money...he is not good value today for sure.

Losman....a wasted opportunity for this franchise....he still needs development....but he has the tools in the right offense. To bad Jauron did not put in an offense using Losman's skills. Jauron wants slow non home run football. He does not understand you have to break a few eggs to make an omlet.

Lets hope we get both a DE and a tight end this FA and draft! Royal can catch, but is not a receiver if you know what I mean....we need a receiving tight end. Fine and Schouman do have skills...maybe the answer is there....I don't know.

So, Robert Royal...good locker room guy...adious amigo!

i read this earlier and just wondering everyones opinion on the article. personally i dont think i would miss any of these players.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Pat_M...nk_Slips_on_Feb

I would cut Kelsay the second I was sure that Schobel's foot has fully healed. Or...the second Chris Ellis showed something better in spring workouts. Or... the second Julius Peppers signed a Bills contract. Or... the second I drafted a top rookie this April. Or... maybe the second it became Feb. 9, just for the hell of it. We wouldn't save cap money, but we would send a message to other players that useless "hard-tryers" are not going to stick around anymore.

We have Denny to place his position anyway; he's cheaper and better.

As for the other three potential cuts, I might give McCargo one more chance. Simpson nd Royal are gone.

Did anyone see the comment under the article? :wallbash:

i am sure there was once someone who got to watch darren sproles in college and said the same thing, and somebody on a message board laughed at him...

...who's laughing now though?

I am not saying that Oman could be Sproles, but that person obvisouly saw Oman play a lot and followed him. I am sure he knows more about the guy than any of us do.

Trading Larry Johnson for him though? Now, that's just being silly.

Why would you cut Kelsay before you have a replacement? Especially if it saves no money?

The best approach is to bring in new players and let them compete for playing time. If someone beats out Kelsay, then Kelsay is the backup. If he's unhappy with that, trade him or cut him next year.

It WOULD save money..... it would NOT save cap space. The bills would still save millions from the 09 salary that they wouldnt have to pay Kelsay

We would save millions by cutting Simpson..........

His 2009 salary is $530,000. How do you save "millions" by cutting him?

EDIT: Oops...I just got the joke. My bad

I'm not advocating keeping or cutting Chris Kelsay. Like most of you have agreed, it'd be best to have a viable replacement/upgrade before saying sayonara.

There is however a very recent Bills' precedent for cutting a fairly highly paid defensive lineman before the expiration of his contract. That person was Larry Triplett. But Triplett was released days before the Bills traded for Marcus Stroud so in that case they did have a replacement/upgrade waiting in the wings.

I would cut Kelsay the second I was sure that Schobel's foot has fully healed. Or...the second Chris Ellis showed something better in spring workouts. Or... the second Julius Peppers signed a Bills contract. Or... the second I drafted a top rookie this April. Or... maybe the second it became Feb. 9, just for the hell of it. We wouldn't save cap money, but we would send a message to other players that useless "hard-tryers" are not going to stick around anymore.

We have Denny to place his position anyway; he's cheaper and better.

This team is guys that we talk about as having, "high motors" or play hard for their coach. Kelsay is the epitome of these phrases, and espouses why this team consistently underachieves. For whatever reason, he was deemed to be a keeper after 06, and there's little doubt that talent-wise he's not good enough. If he's starting next season, something is seriously wrong at OBD.

Kelsay is not the reason Buffalo's DL stinks. But he's not making the problem go away, either now or down the road. I'd like to know who decided the team needed to retain him in advance of UFA 07.

This team is guys that we talk about as having, "high motors" or play hard for their coach. Kelsay is the epitome of these phrases, and espouses why this team consistently underachieves. For whatever reason, he was deemed to be a keeper after 06, and there's little doubt that talent-wise he's not good enough. If he's starting next season, something is seriously wrong at OBD.

Kelsay is not the reason Buffalo's DL stinks. But he's not making the problem go away, either now or down the road. I'd like to know who decided the team needed to retain him in advance of UFA 07.

Kelsay was coming off a 5.5 sack season, and was 27 and headed into the prime of his career. I dont fault the Bills for keeping him around, because there was reason to believe he was either going to get better, or still remain as productive as he was in 2006. The problem is he hasn't lived up to his 2006 season. that was an aberration, not the norm. Its time for him to go, or be relegated to backup duty.

And you can't have it both ways. If Kelsay hadn't been re-signed in '06, you would have been the first one on here complaining that the Bills run a "revolving door" and "we never re-sign our own guys."