A reminder: Free Grand Slam Breakfast at Denny's

buckeyemike

My story about denny's

Before I departed to the Air Force I had finished adult school and was living with friends for the last couple of years where I also worked a daytime and a nightime job. I was a Denny's dishwasher at my nightime job.

The place had a lot of great perks.....lots of female waitresses to hit on (and several accepted.....see the post about the 19 year old doing his thing somewhere on this board) as much food as I wanted....the graveyard shift not really that busy.....etc.

One thing about it though......working 2 full time jobs like that wears you down and I was sick a lot.......when I got the call that the Air Force wanted me to report to Lacklund in a week....I walked into the Denny's and quit....totally screwing the mgr who had to scramble to find a replacement. He was totally po'd at me and wouldn't even let me in the back area to collect my last check.

A year later when I was not such a @hithead and on my way to my first duty station I stopped back by with the intention of apologizing to the mgr but he had since moved on........

Do they still have 'Lums' in WNY? When I was in HS my friend's brother used to work the night shift at the one on the corner of Geo. Urbam and Dick - we used to go in after a night of drinking and it was a game - we would order normal breakfasts and he would deliver the most ridiculously large portions of everything - stack of pancakes larger than the plates themselves etc. We were always determined to eat everything - he was always determined to see us puke - good times :rolleyes:

Do they still have 'Lums' in WNY?

Wow, Lums! I haven't thought of that in 25 years I bet. They used to have one in Jamestown on west end of the third street bridge. It closed somewhere around the late 70s I guess? I remember eating there only once, but as a kid asking my parents to take me there quite often.

Holy cow... Lums. :rolleyes:

You forgot Bob Evans. Those biscuits and sausage gravy will clog an artery! :rolleyes:

Yessir, indeed. I would frequent the B. Evans in Hamburg next to the Red Roof I'd stay at when I'd come in to see the Bills. Man, it's been years. Good times.

There was another joint just down the road on the corner. It would be open to the wee hours. Same road, right on the corner next to the dealerships. Can't remember the name or the grub. We'd go late night after getting lit up.