A reminder: Free Grand Slam Breakfast at Denny's

buckeyemike

Link to article on MSN.

My understanding is that this is a standard Grand Slam; extras are available for 99 cents each and it does not include a drink. That has to be purchased separately.

Expect a madhouse if you go, however. Denny's expects a total of 2 million people to show up at their 1,560 restaurants nationwide.

I refuse to eat at Denny's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denny's#R...nation_lawsuits

I worked on the class action lawsuit in 1995 and some of the claims I read were just horrifying.

I'm with ya.

IMO, poorly cooked, greasy food - a few years ago, the local franchise owner in the Cincy area locked up the outlets in the middle of the night. Workers showed up to padlocks. I don't know if the ever got owed pay...but OTOH, they certainly weren't people with any pride in their work, and went along for the ride.

Denny's is no Waffle House.

That's true, but the closest Waffle House to me is 30 miles away. Denny's is right down the street.

And the answer is no, I did not eat at Denny's today. I drove past my local one...the line was out the door. At 6:45 this morning.

My wife Kim will be disappointed to hear that...she thinks I'm the King of Free Food, between Chick-Fil-A and Buffalo Wild Wings food-for-a-year giveaways. :w00t:

Denny's is no Waffle House.

That's true, but the closest Waffle House to me is 30 miles away. Denny's is right down the street.

And the answer is no, I did not eat at Denny's today. I drove past my local one...the line was out the door. At 6:45 this morning.

My wife Kim will be disappointed to hear that...she thinks I'm the King of Free Food, between Chick-Fil-A and Buffalo Wild Wings food-for-a-year giveaways. <_<

Gotta love both Denny's and waffle house. Waffle house has better breakfast, denny's better diner food. Of course, here in tally, there's no denny's for 50 miles. :w00t: Now waffle house on the other hand? there are 5 tallahassee exits along I-10, each one of them has a waffle house right off the interstate. In total, there are 8 waffle houses within 15 minutes from my townhouse down here. And in pensacola? At the I-10 and I-110 interchange, there are 2 waffle houses off 1 exit. 1 on each side of the interstate, so people do not have to worry about making a U-turn after exiting I-10.

Gotta love both Denny's and waffle house. Waffle house has better breakfast, denny's better diner food. Of course, here in tally, there's no denny's for 50 miles. :w00t: Now waffle house on the other hand? there are 5 tallahassee exits along I-10, each one of them has a waffle house right off the interstate. In total, there are 8 waffle houses within 15 minutes from my townhouse down here. And in pensacola? At the I-10 and I-110 interchange, there are 2 waffle houses off 1 exit. 1 on each side of the interstate, so people do not have to worry about making a U-turn after exiting I-10.

I just checked and the nearest WH is 136 miles away. <_<

Guess I'll have to wait for my next trip to Myrtle Beach.

I drove by one today at about 11 AM and the parking lot was full and line was out the door, as well. I love free food--but that was not worth the wait.

In Colorado Springs and Denver they had lines wrapping around the building at almost every location. (I mean c'mon it's Denny's for chissakes, it's not the Broadmoor!)

Free high calorie/fat breakfast? There are no winners here folks, just survivors.

Biggest loser? The Waitresses. It's bad enough that breakfast is the cheapest meal going, so when they're busting their rears re-filling the coffee and getting the grub , the typical customer still tips 15-20%. Today, they'll tip on 20% of the coffee.

Here's the thing - you get breakfast and the meal is $7.00. If the service was good, leave $12.00.

[/RANT]

I passed one about 11:30 AM and the line stretched about 30 people outside the door.

I think a lot of the lawsuits were probably BS. I worked at one Denny's in the late 70s-early 80s.

The suit about the bus full of gospel singers being turned away because they were black was bogus. A lot of the stores have only a cook and a waitress on overnight during the week (not even a busboy or a manager). The bus full of people pulled up and wanted to get waited on. The waitress told them they would have to wait a long time for everyone to get fed because of low staffing, but there was one a few miles away that could accommodate them and serve them faster.

That Wicki article also mentioned about violence, that is the customers, not the store (as with the Asian guys in Syracuse). We had a drunk pull a knife on a Saturday night. Another time, a guy was found dead in the field across the street with his car left in the Denny's lot- he was mob related. Looks like they grabbed him after he went around back to his car. Lots of all night restaurants have a plainclothes off duty cop sit all night at the counter near the register as a security guard.

Once we had a dine and dash about 4 AM. One of the waitresses was in after partying. Some guys dashed and she started chasing them, but just as she was going to tackle the last guy, his friends pulled up and he jumped in the car.

Another time, these dumb Canadian kids were drinking in their car in front of the windows. They were still there when the manager came in at 6 AM. He called the cops, but realized that since the store was on the town line he called the wrong town. The cops told him what to do. They sat at the light on the top of the hill (in the next town, within sight of the restaurant). The manager went out and told them to get out and get on the Thruway and go home. The Canadians only knew the one way home which was past the cops. We were roaring with laughter as he turned on his lights when the kids were sitting at the traffic light.

Link to article on MSN.

My understanding is that this is a standard Grand Slam; extras are available for 99 cents each and it does not include a drink. That has to be purchased separately.

Expect a madhouse if you go, however. Denny's expects a total of 2 million people to show up at their 1,560 restaurants nationwide.

uggghhh a greasefest

Free high calorie/fat breakfast? There are no winners here folks, just survivors.

Biggest loser? The Waitresses. It's bad enough that breakfast is the cheapest meal going, so when they're busting their rears re-filling the coffee and getting the grub , the typical customer still tips 15-20%. Today, they'll tip on 20% of the coffee.

Here's the thing - you get breakfast and the meal is $7.00. If the service was good, leave $12.00.

[/RANT]

I feel the same way about tipping, i tip based on service, not on the price of the bill when it comes to cheaper dining.