Mock draft

Orton's Arm

Off-season moves: Re-sign Crowell, and potentially extend Peters.

1. DE. The Tampa-2 lives and dies by the pass rush of its front four. Aaron Schobel isn't the player he used to be, and we don't have any other DEs who are a threat to rush the passer.

• Alternative 1: DT. A good pass rush can also come from up the middle.
  • Alternative 2: OT. This would be a good move if things can't be straightened out with Peters, or if there was an opportunity to obtain a significantly better player than Langston Walker.
  • Alternative 3: TE. There's a reason why our quarterback's initials are TE. We need to find him a good one.

2. OC. This team has been in need of a center for years now, and it's time we fill that hole.

• Alternatives: none. This pick must be used on a center. If the Bills are pessimistic about their options at center in this portion of the draft, they should package this pick with their third rounder, move up, and take Mack.

3. DT. Assuming the Bills didn't take a DT in the first round, this wouldn't be a bad place to grab another DT for their rotation.

• Alternative 1: OG. The plan would be for this player to provide depth while he learns. He'd likely take the place of some overpaid, underachieving offensive lineman (Derrick Dockery) after a year or two.
  • Alternative 2: Package this pick with our second rounder to trade up for Mack.
  • Alternative 3: OLB. If Crowell goes down with an injury, we need a good OLB who can step up and take his place
  • Alternative 4: FS.

4. OG. (Assuming the Bills didn't take an OG in the third.)

• Alternative 1: QB. With Losman on his way out, the Bills should think about developing a backup QB.
  • Alternative 2: DB
  • Alternative 3: OLB

5. DB. With Greer likely on his way out, and holes at the safety position, there is always room for a depth DB/special teams player.

• Alternative 1: OLB
  • Alternative 2: QB
  • Alternative 3: FB

Rounds 6 - 7: depth players whose primary purpose will be to help on special teams.

This draft will probably result in the use of the first round pick to upgrade the DL, and it will result in the use of the second round pick to upgrade the OL. The third round pick will also likely be used to upgrade one of the lines. I think it's important to get the lines into pretty good shape first, and then start worrying about other positions.

So what I gathered from your post......

Round 1

1. Football player

2. Football player

3. Football player

4. Football player

5. Football player

6. Football player

7. Football player

Sounds Good to Me :wallbash:

wow another mock draft post...we havent seen ANYYYYY of these in the last month...

signed,

key bills off season moves, trade jason peters, fire dick jauron and the sky is blue!

I actually like the mock draft posts, considering the NFL draft is usually the highlight of the Bills season.

2. OC. This team has been in need of a center for years now, and it's time we fill that hole.

• Alternatives: none. This pick must be used on a center. If the Bills are pessimistic about their options at center in this portion of the draft, they should package this pick with their third rounder, move up, and take Mack.

Maybe Mack, maybe not. But a center...

:wallbash:

Can't say I disagree. I've wanted them to take a DE every year. But what I'm seeing lately is that Mack is not that highly rated.

Come on, man, get serious. He put all the other centers behind him, separated himself from all of them. It was in every single pro evaluation of the practices. Every single one.

He's going in the first.

I'm starting to think that we might take 2 defensive ends in the early rounds of the draft. Especially if one is not gotten in FA. I could see us taking one in the 1st round and a second DE in the 3rd or 4th depending who's on the board. I hope we can drop down in the draft to pick up an extra 2nd round pick. Hoping that we could drop down and still get some one like Michael Johnson or Larry English in the 1st and maybe Ayers or Shaughnessy in the 3rd would be great. Take them along with Ellis and our front gets alot younger and there would be some serious potential. Hopefully Ellis hits the weight room HARD this offseason and comes back alot stronger. He has decent quickness off of the edge, just not the power he needs to handle these NFL lineman. If he does this, things will be looking up in Buffalo.

The other option that seems to be what might happen is getting Orakpo at #11. This didn't seem realistic a month ago, but for some reason he's dropped to us in almost every mock. If we get him at #11, I'd still like us to take another DE somewhere in the first 4 rounds. Maybe we get an extra 3rd for Parrish to take Ayers or Shaughnessy. More than likely won't happen, but I can dream :wallbash:

I'm starting to think that we might take 2 defensive ends in the early rounds of the draft. Especially if one is not gotten in FA. I could see us taking one in the 1st round and a second DE in the 3rd or 4th depending who's on the board. I hope we can drop down in the draft to pick up an extra 2nd round pick. Hoping that we could drop down and still get some one like Michael Johnson or Larry English in the 1st and maybe Ayers or Shaughnessy in the 3rd would be great. Take them along with Ellis and our front gets alot younger and there would be some serious potential. Hopefully Ellis hits the weight room HARD this offseason and comes back alot stronger. He has decent quickness off of the edge, just not the power he needs to handle these NFL lineman. If he does this, things will be looking up in Buffalo.

The other option that seems to be what might happen is getting Orakpo at #11. This didn't seem realistic a month ago, but for some reason he's dropped to us in almost every mock. If we get him at #11, I'd still like us to take another DE somewhere in the first 4 rounds. Maybe we get an extra 3rd for Parrish to take Ayers or Shaughnessy. More than likely won't happen, but I can dream :wallbash:

Sound idea, but if Stroud gets hurt, all of our DTs are sub-par, as are our OCs and TEs.

wow another mock draft post...we havent seen ANYYYYY of these in the last month...

signed,

key bills off season moves, trade jason peters, fire dick jauron and the sky is blue!

If you're so annoyed by the fact that some people like to take some time and thought to put together a mock draft, then why the hell open the thread that is titled "MOCK DRAFT" in the first place? I really do not get it. Particularly when you post this after the initial post that IMO had a lot of good insight. Grow up.

The other option that seems to be what might happen is getting Orakpo at #11. This didn't seem realistic a month ago, but for some reason he's dropped to us in almost every mock. If we get him at #11, I'd still like us to take another DE somewhere in the first 4 rounds. Maybe we get an extra 3rd for Parrish to take Ayers or Shaughnessy. More than likely won't happen, but I can dream :w00t:

Assuming Schobel is back next year, is a smallish DE going to get much playing time? I don't know much about him, but Tyson Jackson from LSU sounds intriguing. A 290 lb DE who can push the pocket and even move inside on passing situations would make more sense if Schobel is in the Bills plans. I'll defer to those who follow LSU, but getting bigger and better at DE is a must.

The other option that seems to be what might happen is getting Orakpo at #11. This didn't seem realistic a month ago, but for some reason he's dropped to us in almost every mock. If we get him at #11, I'd still like us to take another DE somewhere in the first 4 rounds. Maybe we get an extra 3rd for Parrish to take Ayers or Shaughnessy. More than likely won't happen, but I can dream :w00t:

My one goal for our first round pick is to get a difference maker player. I provided a detailed definition of a difference-maker here. If the pick is a DE or DT, I'd want a guy who can still be productive even when being double-teamed. If Orakpo is the next Dwight Freeney or Simeon Rice, and if he'll still be there at #11, we should take him.

If the Bills felt they could get a better football player by going DE in the third than they could have had by drafting some other position of need, I'd be all in favor of taking the DE. DE is clearly a position of need, and there are very significant benefits to building a good DL. I realize we'd be neglecting the DT position, as Bill points out. But there's no way we're going to fill all our holes in one draft anyway, and a deep, good DE group would be a tremendous source of strength.

i would like for us to really focus on the defensive line and i think the ayers kid out of tennessee, as i've already said. he was voted all-sec 1st-team defense by the coaches; he might be a great prospect. plus, we might be able to get him in the later rounds.