For all of you who said Gandy would be better than

BuffaloBill

Get a grip... the guy sti;; played at a very high level. He has to play to make up for Dockery - average at best.

So in effect you are saying that the LG position was better in 2007 than in 2008 when Peters played like an elite LT ? Why did he suddenly have to 'make up' for the LG in 2008 ?

So in effect you are saying that the LG position was better in 2007 than in 2008 when Peters played like an elite LT ? Why did he suddenly have to 'make up' for the LG in 2008 ?

The Bills run mostly to the left. Who drives this, Dockery or Peters?

What I mean is that his holding out was wrong on multiple fronts. Not only did he send a wrong message about him being a me-first guy but missed an opportunity to start the O-Line gelling process in the offseason (as they were under a new OC). missing the early games and then taking time to get 'up to speed'. Even after that he was good but not near his 2007 level. Which means that in one way or the other, he hurt the team throughout the season. He was certainly not a strong piece of the O Line and hence did not solidify the LT position for the Bills this season. We now have a question mark - which player is he ? the 2007 potential great or the 2008 average LT ? Did his injury bother him or was he not motivated to play up to his potential ? I don't have enough evidence to say one way or the other. But I am hypocritical enough to give him the benefit of doubt and lobby the Bills to pay the man (at least he is a known devil).

I agree. But, it was really only one HUGE mistake...holding out. i take offense to those who make it sound as if Peters has been a me-first player, his entire time with the Bills. That just isn't the case. Under bad advice, he held out, when it was clear that, with the position change, he was being severely underpaid. The Bills would have done themselves a favor to initiate the contract talks early in the offseason, last year. Instead, by refusing to talk, his agent got his ear and convinced him that the only way to get the $ was to hold out. I believe (and it is just a guess) that had he come to OTAs and camp, the Bills would have talked contract last offseason. My fear is there is no trust on either side, now...and both sides are to blame, IMO.

I agree. But, it was really only one HUGE mistake...holding out. i take offense to those who make it sound as if Peters has been a me-first player, his entire time with the Bills. That just isn't the case. Under bad advice, he held out, when it was clear that, with the position change, he was being severely underpaid. The Bills would have done themselves a favor to initiate the contract talks early in the offseason, last year. Instead, by refusing to talk, his agent got his ear and convinced him that the only way to get the $ was to hold out. I believe (and it is just a guess) that had he come to OTAs and camp, the Bills would have talked contract last offseason. My fear is there is no trust on either side, now...and both sides are to blame, IMO.

Amen brother

In his career with the Bills, Peters made ONE mistake that brings his work ethic into question...a big one, I'll grant you, but only one: Holding out.

He has never been anything other than the ultimate team player until that holdout, last year.

There have been work ethic and character,or maybe I should say desire,questions about Peters since he was in college. He is a freakish athelete in a huge body that could be a great LT if he decides that he wants to be great. Holding out with 3 years left on your contract because you made your first Pro Bowl,then showing up and playing average at best just adds to those questions. I would want to see more consistency,in performance and attitude,before I would give him a fat extension.

Why not make Lynch your posterboy then?? He had more offseason issues and is his play really probowl level? Let's trade Lynch too. For that matter why don't we add Evans to the trade list? Why does Peters have a questionable work ethic? has this been said by anyone on the team .. the people who would know? As for character did the Bills not say during his holdout that Jason is a stand up guy?

This focus on Peters is BS. Like it or not he is the most solid player on our line and among the top in the NFL. We need him retained and focused. Get the contract done and move on. The Bills have cap room.

I'm not making a posterboy out of Lynch,Peters or anybody else. I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Read my reply to the poster above. I would like Peters retained and focused as well. Peters lack of focus is what worries me. The way for Peters to get an extension is to show up,work hard and perform well. Consistently.Then he should get an extension.

There have been work ethic and character,or maybe I should say desire,questions about Peters since he was in college. He is a freakish athelete in a huge body that could be a great LT if he decides that he wants to be great. Holding out with 3 years left on your contract because you made your first Pro Bowl,then showing up and playing average at best just adds to those questions. I would want to see more consistency,in performance and attitude,before I would give him a fat extension.

First of all, the rumors about his college days are irrelevant to the Bills' discussion. With the Bills he did everything asked of him, until the holdout.

And, under normal circumstances you may have a point about holding out with "3 years left" on a contract. You neglect to mention that the contract was signed when he played a different position. He was moved to a more important, and much higher paying job, after that contract was signed.

Ya, I remember reading a ridiculous thread implying that there wasn't a single player from the Bills that couldn't start for either one of the two teams that played last night in the super bowl. The first player that came to mind to me was Peters for Gandy.

I hear this ridiculous notion that we shouldn't extend Peters contract until he plays better, NEWS FLASH, he all ready has played "better" than over %90 of the starting Tackles in the NFL and if we don't sign him, then we will lose him, then we will be stuck with players like Gandy.

You pay to play in this league.

Peters is NOT a 8-10M/year LT yet....he just isn't. If he will sign for 6M a year get the deal done, but I do not see him signing a deal for 6M/year. You can get the production he gave you last year for 1-2M. He was ordinary last year and nothing more or less and was the LT in the NFL who gace up the most sacks. That is NOT a shutdown LT. If he was smart he should sign a very good deal paying him around 6M per year but people saying just pay him have to realize he and his agent want close to 9-10M per year. His play has in no way justified that. Pay Haynesworth to come here 9M/year. Now that guy has played to that dollar value. Stroud and Haynesworth up front would add playoff potential immediately to that team.

Peters is NOT a 8-10M/year LT yet....he just isn't. If he will sign for 6M a year get the deal done, but I do not see him signing a deal for 6M/year. You can get the production he gave you last year for 1-2M. He was ordinary last year and nothing more or less and was the LT in the NFL who gace up the most sacks. That is NOT a shutdown LT. If he was smart he should sign a very good deal paying him around 6M per year but people saying just pay him have to realize he and his agent want close to 9-10M per year. His play has in no way justified that. Pay Haynesworth to come here 9M/year. Now that guy has played to that dollar value. Stroud and Haynesworth up front would add playoff potential immediately to that team.

The idea that you can get halfway decent LT play for 1-2 Mil is absurd.

I think 6 mil per year is a reasonable number. I would, if it is possible, put in every possible monetary disincentive for holding out, missing TC, etc...even if it costs a few more dollars, in the long run. I would also put incentives, bonuses and elevators that allow him to make elite LT money, for elite play.

I think 6 mil per year is a reasonable number. I would, if it is possible, put in every possible monetary disincentive for holding out, missing TC, etc...even if it costs a few more dollars, in the long run. I would also put incentives, bonuses and elevators that allow him to make elite LT money, for elite play.

I agree with you that 6 mil,with strong disincentives as well as incentives,would be a reasonable number for Peters. The problem is,as the poster you're responding to said,he's allegedly asking for much more than that. That's where the hold out and questions of work ethic/desire going back to his college days become relevant,IMO. Some tigers never change their stripes.

I agree with you that 6 mil,with strong disincentives as well as incentives,would be a reasonable number for Peters. The problem is,as the poster you're responding to said,he's allegedly asking for much more than that. That's where the hold out and questions of work ethic/desire going back to his college days become relevant,IMO. Some tigers never change their stripes.

i have yet to hear one work about what Peters is asking for. But, I'm sure he will ask for far more than he should get. He's in a tough spot, though.

As for his work ethic, it has been perfect, in Buffalo (as far as I know) until the holdout. Why do you decide to think that his "true spots" are the holdout rather than the several years of good service?

i have yet to hear one work about what Peters is asking for. But, I'm sure he will ask for far more than he should get. He's in a tough spot, though.

As for his work ethic, it has been perfect, in Buffalo (as far as I know) until the holdout. Why do you decide to think that his "true spots" are the holdout rather than the several years of good service?

I'm probably just less trusting of these pro athletes in general. I'm a big college fan and I had heard of Peters question marks long before he was a Bill. Maybe because of that I'm a little prejudiced against him. I would just be afraid that if we gave him a big extension he would pull the same crap again in a year or 2,and never live up to his potential. He seems like the kind of guy to get a pocket full of money and never have the fire to excel.

I like "The Senator," but if Peters had a game this bad in a superbowl, it would be a wise move to put him under police surveillance.

So you want a journeyman in the position? Peters can and has played elite ball. The Bills need to pay him what is fair and let the guy do his job. We have way too many other needs to address. LT is not a problem deal with the positions that are.

Peters is definitely better than Gandy...however, lets be honest about Peters...he only had ONE season where he played Elite ball in 5 seasons in the NFL, and it wasnt even his most recent year. He clearly regressed in 2008 and struggled after a great 2007 season. So the question becomes, which Peters are we getting? He wants to be paid at a level that will make him the highest paid lineman in the NFL...

I am not sure he is worth that much...if he finds his 2007 form, then by all means...but the fact he wasnt able to follow up that performance very well in a year where he was playing to get a big contract makes me nervous to pay him what he wants.

I would feel better about a fair raise or wait until 2009 before giving him a massive contract like he wants...