Wilson comments on current Bills

During his press conference yesterday he sat next to Bruce Smith. He said that the Bills fans were great even though the product has not been great since Bruce Smith left. Does this mean he will spend money this year on some :good" players? Going into the hall this year you would think that he would want to field the best team he can afford.

'“I came into the game because I liked the game and I wanted to be an owner of the team,” Wilson said. “We picked Buffalo, and the fans have been great. We haven’t given them much of a product lately. Since this fellow [smith] left us, we haven’t done so good. But the people have supported us.”

During his press conference yesterday he sat next to Bruce Smith. He said that the Bills fans were great even though the product has not been great since Bruce Smith left. Does this mean he will spend money this year on some :good" players? Going into the hall this year you would think that he would want to field the best team he can afford.

'“I came into the game because I liked the game and I wanted to be an owner of the team,” Wilson said. “We picked Buffalo, and the fans have been great. We haven’t given them much of a product lately. Since this fellow [smith] left us, we haven’t done so good. But the people have supported us.”

If we could turn the QB situation around the situation with the team would look totally different. Since Bruce left we have had a string of poor to bad QB's. This is a pivotal year for Trent. If he does not take a big step forward our franchise will still see poor to mediocre results for years to come.

If we could turn the QB situation around the situation with the team would look totally different. Since Bruce left we have had a string of poor to bad QB's. This is a pivotal year for Trent. If he does not take a big step forward our franchise will still see poor to mediocre results for years to come.

I agree. Last September, I said pretty much the same thing. In the end, we saw just enough from Trent (IMO) to say... yeah maybe. While at the same time seeing just enough to also say.... ehhhh.. maaybe. He's a huge question mark, IMO.

Given that we're absolutely assured the coaches will not develop an effective game plan from week to week, the only way we win is if the players excel. And none more importantly than the QB - Trent. So, as I see it, next season pretty much rests on the arm of our 3rd year QB. Please, anyone, please, prove me wrong (seriously I want to be wrong). Because if that thought doesn't make you nervous, you haven't been watching.

During his press conference yesterday he sat next to Bruce Smith. He said that the Bills fans were great even though the product has not been great since Bruce Smith left. Does this mean he will spend money this year on some :good" players?
He's been spending money on players...he's not the GM or talent evaluator that decides who's brought in..but he did get Buddy Nix to come back to the team to help run the scouting

He wanted a team in Miami and was turned down

"We picked Buffalo" is a bit misleading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Wilson

it'd be misleading if he had said Buffalo was his first choice ...it's not like Buffalo was the only choice he could make

He wanted a team in Miami and was turned down

"We picked Buffalo" is a bit misleading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Wilson

It isn't misleading, at all. He DID pick Buffalo, it wasn't thrust upon him. He never said Buffalo was his "First" pick, but it was his pick.

It isn't misleading, at all. He DID pick Buffalo, it wasn't thrust upon him. He never said Buffalo was his "First" pick, but it was his pick.

In 1958 "picking Buffalo" wasn't the same thing as it would be now. Buffalo was a major American city, at that time.

During the Super Bowl pre-game today, Olberman did a great "history of the Cardinals" segment. It was metioned, when the Cardinals left Chicago, Buffalo was one of three cities that was favored to get them. So, back then, Buffalo was still very much on the NFL's radar, as a football city... the AFL beat them to it.

First, congrats to RW for being elected into the HOF.

But just because RW says these things means nothing to me. This is the same guy who was reportedly very upset about the Cleveland MNF debacle and the NYJ loss in December. Many of us thought he would do something. And in late December he ultimately did nothing.

This franchise does not have the benefit of the doubt IMO. They need to act before I'll believe anything they say.

Last night's game magnified the Bills QB woes.

Ben Rs pass to Miller after shifting around in the pocket never happens in Buff. Edwards would have taken off running or thrown the ball away long before that pass took place.

The final TD pass was the third option. Edwards would not have gotten to his third read and if he had...he can't make that throw.

The long option route that Boldin ran would have been for naught in Buff. Edwards would have checked down long before the receiver came open.

The 3rd down pass that was negated by the safety...fergetabotit.

I could go on and on and on, but those throws clearly stand out as ones that Edwards is unable or unwilling to make.

A big step forward is necessary, hope it can happen.

In 1958 "picking Buffalo" wasn't the same thing as it would be now. Buffalo was a major American city, at that time.

During the Super Bowl pre-game today, Olberman did a great "history of the Cardinals" segment. It was metioned, when the Cardinals left Chicago, Buffalo was one of three cities that was favored to get them. So, back then, Buffalo was still very much on the NFL's radar, as a football city... the AFL beat them to it.

Good thing the Cards didn't move to Buffalo since they would have left Buffalo; just like they left St. Loius. No way the Rams would have moved to Buffalo.

Plus; luckily once again for Buffalo; Ralph probably could have decided to buy out the Raiders ownership and sold Buffalo.

Um...Ok. In the context of this discussion, I'm not sure that it matters...but, OK.

First, congrats to RW for being elected into the HOF.

But just because RW says these things means nothing to me. This is the same guy who was reportedly very upset about the Cleveland MNF debacle and the NYJ loss in December. Many of us thought he would do something. And in late December he ultimately did nothing.

This franchise does not have the benefit of the doubt IMO. They need to act before I'll believe anything they say.

Good post.

Maybe we should turn the defensive end situation around first before worrying some more about our QB.

Actually, what I found curious was how Ralph threw the current team under the bus by saying they don't give the fans much to cheer about. While that is accurate, it strikes me as kind of odd (and ironic given the Bills decisions this off-season) for an owner to say things like that.

It strikes me as kind of odd that we are parsing so closely a few idle, off the cuff comments by a very, very old man searching for a clever way to compliment a man who is probably the best player ever to play for the Bills.

Maybe that means Bruce is coming back!!

Um...Ok. In the context of this discussion, I'm not sure that it matters...but, OK.

Sorry Dean, not meaning to pick an argument with you. Just pointing out that, whenever people assume that Ralph starting his franchise was a noble move, it should be pointed out, Buffalo was not the economic wasteland back then, that we all know, and still love, now. Buffalo was still a "player" into the mid-seventies...