heating costs

Cost is going to fluxuate based on local prices.

Last month, we used 117 therms at a cost of $134.54. That's for a 1,400 square foot two level home (technically there's a finished basement, but that doesn't get much of the heat).

The month before that we used 73 therms at a cost of $84.26.

Last year was similar.

We have a programmable thermostat which helps quite a bit. We set it to 59F at night (10pm-6am -- being on the 2nd floor, it's warmer than that since heat rises and we have blankets). When we're at work, it's 62F (6am-4pm), and when we're home it's 66F (4pm-10pm). On weekends, it's 66F from 10am-10pm.

Hope that helps!

CW

Cost is going to fluxuate based on local prices.

Last month, we used 117 therms at a cost of $134.54. That's for a 1,400 square foot two level home (technically there's a finished basement, but that doesn't get much of the heat).

The month before that we used 73 therms at a cost of $84.26.

Last year was similar.

We have a programmable thermostat which helps quite a bit. We set it to 59F at night (10pm-6am -- being on the 2nd floor, it's warmer than that since heat rises and we have blankets). When we're at work, it's 62F (6am-4pm), and when we're home it's 66F (4pm-10pm). On weekends, it's 66F from 10am-10pm.

Hope that helps!

CW

OK you got me. What is a therm? I use x cu/ft gas a month. Thats all I [or anybody ] knows

Our average monthly cost for utilities (electricity and gas [range and on-demand hot water]) run $155 for 3,000 sq ft. The reason it is reasonable: two-zone high SEER HVAC system with programmable thermostat, well-insulated house, great U and R value windows, window treatments, and well-sealed doors and window frames. We did a lot of homework on this.

Our average monthly cost for utilities (electricity and gas [range and on-demand hot water]) run $155 for 3,000 sq ft. The reason it is reasonable: two-zone high SEER HVAC system with programmable thermostat, well-insulated house, great U and R value windows, window treatments, and well-sealed doors and window frames. We did a lot of homework on this.

Not bad Thats close to my [just] electric bill.

OK you got me. What is a therm? I use x cu/ft gas a month. Thats all I [or anybody ] knows

I don't know - it's what Xcel energy puts on the bill. Apparently it's close to a ccf:

From the bill: 115.75ccf x 1.0144 = 117 therms

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therm

So apparently that's not all anybody knows. :lol:

I don't know - it's what Xcel energy puts on the bill. Apparently it's close to a ccf:

From the bill: 115.75ccf x 1.0144 = 117 therms

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therm

So apparently that's not all anybody knows. :lol:

Sorry when I said "anybody" I meant the gas company I pay the bill to. I guess in a way[your's]they are using Britsh thermal units[bTU],which is a measure of heat energy. Was not trying to make fun,just wondered what a "therm" was.

Was trying to figure my budget and the heating cost is the "x" factor. Runs from $425/month-$125 winter-summer. Natural gas 2400 sq. feet. Was wondering how this compares with other cold weather areas. No replies from Florida.please.

Guess Texas does not count ... but we have the opposite problem in the summer .... AC will run pretty much constantly from June - August

:beer: I'm dying.

My entire body is wet from perspiration.

I hate this heat!!!

4 days now of 40-45 degree heat(104-113 Fahrenheit).....it's been worse in Adelaide apparently.

Our average January temp is usually 26 degrees(79F)

I wilt at 30 degrees(86F) :thumbsup:

Looks like a cool change tomorrow......36(97F) :thumbsup:

I also forgot to add we keep the house at 69 all day, and down to 66 at bedtime.

What do you suppose it costs Dibs to go DOWN to 66? I will take cold,anyday.