What Makes A HOF Player? Pick three things.

Steely Dan

HOF Players  

14 members have voted

1. 1. One of the most important things for a player to become a HOF is...

• He is drafted into the right system for him.
    • Pro bowls
    • Super Bowl Ring or Rings
  2. 2. One of the important things for a player to become a HOF is...

• A great head coach
    • A spirit of teamwork
    • Great teammates
    • Hard work
  3. 3. One of the important things for a player to become a HOF is...

• Fan popularity
    • Ability to keep themselves in the limelight
    • Other

I know people are going to B word about the groupings but I wanted to limit the choices to three and if I make it multiple choice people can click all of them and I wanted to narrow the choices down to three. So if you want argue about the grouping feel free.

Explanations of the choices

1. He is drafted into the right system - A player who's abilities are only maximized because he is put into the system that suits him. Any other system wouldn't have made him a great player

2. Pro Bowls - A player who would be great in any system and is a Pro- Bowler despite how successful his team was.

3. Great teammates - The talent surrounding him makes him look better than he actually is.

1. A great HC - a HC who is capable of pushing him to maximizing his talents.

2. Spirit of teamwork - Is a great player who isn't a spotlight seeker but quietly defers his success to those of his teammates.

3. Super Bowl ring or rings - pretty self explanatory

Hard work - Hard work has made him push himself to the maximum of his abilities.

1. Fan popularity - A player that fans really support due to his personality.

2. Ability to keep themselves in the limelight - i.e. Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson etc. etc.

3. Other - Please explain

My three choices are:

Being drafted into the right system - I think Joe Montana is the best case for this.

Super Bowl rings - If a great player doesn't have SB ring it makes it harder for them to get in if they're borderline.

Fan popularity - I think a guy who stays out of jail and is a great leader in the community and has a lot of class helps push a guy who is borderline into the hall.

Let the argument begin!

PLEASE KEEP THIS FOOTBALL ONLY. ANY OTHER SUBJECTS CAN BE TALKED ABOUT IN THE APPROPRIATE FORUMS. THANK YOU. :thumbsup:

There are so many things to consider and the voters are all different. They all weigh things differently and some hold grudges and other small-minded nuances.

The criteria is something along the lines of individual success, team success, consistency and a little bit of character.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to individual statistics and the player's contributions to his team in terms of winning.

You have to be the elite of the elite to be in the HOF, IMO. Being great is not good enough. You also have to play at that elite level for an extended period of time over a long career. That is why people like Spec Sanders and Mac Speedie are not in and will never get in.

Now, to actually be inducted by the buffoons on the selection committee, the criteria is completely different. If you have an average career, all you need to do is get into broadcasting and you will get in. You also have to bow down to the greatness of the committee and not criticize them (hear that Carter and Keuch?). The media is only allow to criticize the players. They should not be criticized. Bob Hayes? WTF are you smoking? He has absolutely no business getting into the HOF. He had about three HOF years. After that, he was average. How the F do you make it into the HOF based on only three years of HOF production?[/rant]