Is Peters going to ask for a new contract after this past season??

SKOOBY

No, he already has. And as the 12,000th thread on this exact subject without anything new to say, this is officially stunningly boring. I know I won't be back to look at this thread again.

alrighty then.

And didnt the front office say they would talk contract if he reported to the team? Well Peters reported and the front office failed to hold its end of the bargain.......meaninging Peters will either hold out again or force Buffalo to trade him.

indulge me - by signing a contract, didn't peters agree to show up for work in return for the $$$$million$$$$ he gets paid?

indulge me - by signing a contract, didn't peters agree to show up for work in return for the $$$$million$$$$ he gets paid?

UGH. I think I am going to make this my signature because I am tired of typing it once a week...

The NFL salary structure is one which favors the ownership. If you are not performing, they can fire you at any time...and do not owe you the remainder of the contract THEY (the ownership) signed.

NFL contracts are a 2 way street. Players also get the opportunity to hold out. Demand pay raises. Do whatever they can to improve themselves financially because the owners can not live up to their half of the bargain at any time.

You dont see baseball players holding out. Why not? Because contracts are guarenteed and players are legally obligated to perform. Football is not that way. Players are not obligated to perform. They just dont get paid if they dont.

Think about your daily job. Presumably your boss can fire you tomorrow and not owe you a dime. This is just like the NFL players. However, more than likely, you have the opportunity to take a job with another company and make more money if you so desire (and if they are willing to pay you).

How would you react if your boss came up to you one day and said "you are valuable to our team here...but we are now requiring all employees to sign 5 year contracts with us. We can still terminate your employment at any time we feel it is in our best interest, but you cant go looking for a better job whenever you feel like it. Your stuck here for 5 years, for the same salary. Even if you become management or the CEO in those 5 years, we are not giving you a raise"

A year later you make management. Every other manager in a neighboring department makes 20% more than you do. Your sales are through the roof and you are kicking butt. But you are still making 20% less than your lesser performing counterparts. But you are legally obligated to work for your lower pay. Your boss can still fire you at any time should you lose that big sales contract you worked so hard on this year. Now would be the time to cash in and get a HUGE raise, but that pesky contract prevents you from doing so. (Humor me here, but im going to call this the Jason Peters scenario....even if he does lead the league in sacks allowed!)

All the leverage is now with the company. They essentially gave you nothing in return for your commitment to them. You are not getting raises for your superior performance, you cant look for another job, heck, your salary isnt even guaranteed for the next 4 years! You think back and wonder...gee, why did I ever sign that contract? Oh, thats right, because you were REQUIRED to as a term of your employment. Surely if you had a union, they would not have allowed this to occur, right?

Well, your union DID let it occur, but with one minor provision...they cannot legally force you to work. if some day you did not show up to work, sure.. they can fire you...but you are then free to take that dream job with a competing company for a big raise. Or maybe if you dont show up to work, you can sit down with the management and plead your case as to how important you are to them, and they will give you another contract for more money, more in line with what the market would bear.

This was/is the NFL agreement in place. Like it or not, this is the AGREEMENT on how to handle this issue. Its not the players fault when they hold out. It is their RIGHT to do so per the contract the OWNERS signed.

UGH. I think I am going to make this my signature because I am tired of typing it once a week...

The NFL salary structure is one which favors the ownership. If you are not performing, they can fire you at any time...and do not owe you the remainder of the contract THEY (the ownership) signed.

NFL contracts are a 2 way street. Players also get the opportunity to hold out. Demand pay raises. Do whatever they can to improve themselves financially because the owners can not live up to their half of the bargain at any time.

You dont see baseball players holding out. Why not? Because contracts are guarenteed and players are legally obligated to perform. Football is not that way. Players are not obligated to perform. They just dont get paid if they dont.

Think about your daily job. Presumably your boss can fire you tomorrow and not owe you a dime. This is just like the NFL players. However, more than likely, you have the opportunity to take a job with another company and make more money if you so desire (and if they are willing to pay you).

How would you react if your boss came up to you one day and said "you are valuable to our team here...but we are now requiring all employees to sign 5 year contracts with us. We can still terminate your employment at any time we feel it is in our best interest, but you cant go looking for a better job whenever you feel like it. Your stuck here for 5 years, for the same salary. Even if you become management or the CEO in those 5 years, we are not giving you a raise"

A year later you make management. Every other manager in a neighboring department makes 20% more than you do. Your sales are through the roof and you are kicking butt. But you are still making 20% less than your lesser performing counterparts. But you are legally obligated to work for your lower pay. Your boss can still fire you at any time should you lose that big sales contract you worked so hard on this year. Now would be the time to cash in and get a HUGE raise, but that pesky contract prevents you from doing so. (Humor me here, but im going to call this the Jason Peters scenario....even if he does lead the league in sacks allowed!)

All the leverage is now with the company. They essentially gave you nothing in return for your commitment to them. You are not getting raises for your superior performance, you cant look for another job, heck, your salary isnt even guaranteed for the next 4 years! You think back and wonder...gee, why did I ever sign that contract? Oh, thats right, because you were REQUIRED to as a term of your employment. Surely if you had a union, they would not have allowed this to occur, right?

Well, your union DID let it occur, but with one minor provision...they cannot legally force you to work. if some day you did not show up to work, sure.. they can fire you...but you are then free to take that dream job with a competing company for a big raise. Or maybe if you dont show up to work, you can sit down with the management and plead your case as to how important you are to them, and they will give you another contract for more money, more in line with what the market would bear.

This was/is the NFL agreement in place. Like it or not, this is the AGREEMENT on how to handle this issue. Its not the players fault when they hold out. It is their RIGHT to do so per the contract the OWNERS signed.

I would GET tired TYPING all THAT too

Great post!