Man of Steele

BillsNYC

Where do you get your information? You're not even close. "Hate black race?" Are your frickin' kidding me? Get a clue.

Steele is an empty suit. Fortunately for the GOP he was the best of a bad lot. As LG for Ehrlich (who is was Bush without the brains), he had no constitutional responsibilities, ran against a weak campaign for senate and got waxed. Partially due to a D state in a Dem year but mostly due to an inept campaign and candidate. Steele went from GOP darling to embarrassment in a few short weeks.

Steele will make a good first impression but he's got only one gear and its likely his welcome will soon wear out.

I have to agree with VABills. I lived in Maryland during both races, and voted Democrat. The 'Uncle Tom' racism was quite real. I learned from those years that nobody spews open racism like the grassroots Democrat party machine, and they always get a pass. The racial politics was far worse than anything I remembered living in WNY (though I may have been too young to notice it then).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching "Washington Week in Review" last night, and one of the guests quipped something along the lines of 'what a remarkable year this has been, two outsider candidates taking leadership of their parties promising sweeping changes but thin on the details.' It was met with silence.

I have to agree with VABills. I lived in Maryland during both races, and voted Democrat. The 'Uncle Tom' racism was quite real. I learned from those years that nobody spews open racism like the grassroots Democrat party machine, and they always get a pass. The racial politics was far worse than anything I remembered living in WNY (though I may have been too young to notice it then).

You may agree with him but it doesn't make it true.

95% of the charges were fabricated by the GOP and Steele himself. Media outlets, even Fox, do not mention these "charges" anymore because even Steele and his people know its unsupportable. This was the GOP STRATEGY, make up racial attacks against Steele and play the victim of a conspiracy. Its was comical and dismissed as a fraud. Someone did say something incredibly stupid but both sides have idiots on both sides. Don't let your partisanship blind you to even most amateurish party propaganda.

No, I was saying that Democrats would give a white male empty suit of their own party a free pass while attacking a black Republican as an empty suit

But yes, you are right. I am a flaming racist. I have a set of white sheets with holes cut out for eyes for cross burnning. And when I'm not burning negro's I'm cooking Jews in ovens.

Gawd I am so evil and racist. I wish Hitler had succeeded and George Wallace had been elected president.

You are so smrt for calling me out, I never would have been discovered if not for your internet message board posting

There, does that decode the coding of which you spoke

Just ask any black person I know how racist I am. I'm sure they'll agree with you :thumbsup:

No, its that, ironically, the GOP and backers like you use racial politics as weapon as often as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. If you were dull witted and really believed that charge then fine, but are you really chargin Dems of racism for criticizing a black Republican? Oh my God. Democrats criticizing a Republican!!!! When will the racism end? Steele tried this thinly-veiled strategy in Maryland and he got laughed at and soundly defeated.

Dude, you are using partisan hack racial politics tactics: Dems elected Obama because he's black, criticize Steele because he's black? Get a grip.

You can just hear it: those who voted for Obama are only trying to disguise the fact they are guilt-ridden passive-aggressive racists. Ingenious. Who would really think that he was best candidate for president?

95% of the charges were fabricated by the GOP and Steele himself. Media outlets, even Fox, do not mention these "charges" anymore because even Steele and his people know its unsupportable. This was the GOP STRATEGY, make up racial attacks against Steele and play the victim of a conspiracy. Its was comical and dismissed as a fraud. Someone did say something incredibly stupid but both sides have idiots on both sides. Don't let your partisanship blind you to even most amateurish party propaganda.

Oh okay, I have posted quotes news articles and evevrything, but you say with no evidence that you're right and that Steele was treated so well, blah, blah blah.

Personally I don't like Steele being in charge of the GOP his politics match Mccain. I am not a member of the GOP and never will be.

But for you to sit here and get in a blather that I am lying means I've touched a nerve. The fact is and I can keep showing more and more, but that race was all about race, period. Steele was never asked anything else. He was ridiculed as a token black man by the dems, or like I mentioned he isn't counted as a black if he sides with the GOP.

No, its that, ironically, the GOP and backers like you use racial politics as weapon as often as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. If you were dull witted and really believed that charge then fine, but are you really chargin Dems of racism for criticizing a black Republican? Oh my God. Democrats criticizing a Republican!!!! When will the racism end? Steele tried this thinly-veiled strategy in Maryland and he got laughed at and soundly defeated.

Dude, you are using partisan hack racial politics tactics: Dems elected Obama because he's black, criticize Steele because he's black? Get a grip.

You can just hear it: those who voted for Obama are only trying to disguise the fact they are guilt-ridden passive-aggressive racists. Ingenious. Who would really think that he was best candidate for president?

Again you're basing your argument on a false assumption. Just like trying to call me out as a listener of Rush Limbaugh earlier you base your last post on the assumption that I am a Republican

But hey, if I'm not in your club I must be one of them right :thumbsup:

The GOP is better at the art of "window dressing" than the Democrats but...I don't know that this guy is an empty suit. He may have been selected to counter the black President, but he's also reputedly moderate and willing to be reasonable. If that's the case, and if that means that the GOP will start fielding more viable candidates than the extremist nitwits they've liked for so long, great. It remains to be seen whether this guy will take the reins firmly in his hands or whether he'll turn out to be a "front" with the same pinheaded wingnuts pulling the strings. I certainly hope the latter isn't the case. I, and most Americans, are tired of political parties whose ONLY goal is to win at any cost, and the people be damned.

Oh okay, I have posted quotes news articles and evevrything, but you say with no evidence that you're right and that Steele was treated so well, blah, blah blah.

Personally I don't like Steele being in charge of the GOP his politics match Mccain. I am not a member of the GOP and never will be.

But for you to sit here and get in a blather that I am lying means I've touched a nerve. The fact is and I can keep showing more and more, but that race was all about race, period. Steele was never asked anything else. He was ridiculed as a token black man by the dems, or like I mentioned he isn't counted as a black if he sides with the GOP.

You're not lying you just want to believe information that fits your narrow world view. We don't expect you to be swayed by the facts of the case you cite or accept that the "stories" are written by Republican party insiders.

Look, as a GOP backer I can understand that you're uncomfortable with race -- but guess what? Steele is a black man in a party that is, statistically, almost unanimously white (not one congressional member, governor, or major statewide elected official -- not one).

By the simple nature of that fact wouldn't that lead to questions about minority attitudes toward Republicans and vice-versa? Are you seriously suggesting that Steele's election to one of the two major political parties following Obama's election shouldn't/doesn't logically lead to an examination of the impact of his race? Why can't you accept the notion that the GOP will almost certainly ask itself the basic question: can our party survive without some significant "minority" (aka black and latino) support and how Steele may do that? Did it occur to you why Steele may have been elected despite not having sufficient conservative credentials and not exactly the traditional face of his Party?

My issue with Steele is not that he's black (good for him), it's that he doesn't have a second gear - there's no there there. He makes a great first impression, he's a good communicator but anyone who knows his history will tell you that he lacks vision and leadership skills. In other words, what you see is what you get - there is nothing below the surface, there's never a Second Act.

I do think he's the best choice of the lot - and the GOP averted disaster by electing the SC guy. Moreover, I think Steele will do well for the next few months (First Act) but don't expect much else in the Second Round of interviews. In other words, he's a great salesman but can't deliver the product.

It doesn't matter who they selected, if the Republicans continue to take their marching orders from the religious right, they will continue to lose support and become a regional party of the South. Hopefully Steele will bring them back towards the more moderate mainstream and give Americans a legitimate choice.

Hey, I can only tell you what people were saying in my neighborhood and on the local political scene. I'll let you be the arbitrator of 'truth.'

I assume you can give me a link to a newspaper finding that 95% of the claims were fabricated? I looked but could only find blog stuff claiming to debunk it.

There seems to be no controversy about Steney Hoyer calling Steele 'token' in 2002 or describing him to black businessmen as "slavishly supporting the Republican Party" in 2006. I guess its not racist innuendo when you use those words against Republicans, unlike using 'Fairy Tale' to describe the rise of a Democrat.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6101701440.html

Or that a staffer for Cardin wrote (and was fired for) an anomyous blog chronicling the day-to-day racism and anti-semitism, including the handing out of - you guessed it - oreo cookies. (Steele denied that he was pelted as reported, but said some were at his feet. Nevertheless oreo's became symbolic among democrat partisans.)

Steeles claim that his credit records were illegally investigated by staffers of Chuck Shumer's Democrat Senatorial Campaign Committee who appropriated his SSN. One plead guilty.

http://www.bookrags.com/highbeam/democrat-...steele-case-hb/

Or that the DSCC sponsored (broken off after objections) a racist blog attacking black Republicans, with doctored photo's of Steele and the caption "I's Simple Sambo And I's Running for the Big House."

http://www.nysun.com/national/dscc-removes...d-racist/22478/

Nor have I found anything to deny reporting that Senate President Mike Miller called him an "Uncle Tom," or that Delegate Marriott likened him to 'a slave who loves his cruel master or a cookie that is black on the outside and white inside.'

It was a heated race with excesses on both sides, and there will always be staffers and self-annointed spokesmen who will cause embarrassment. But I defy you to find a race in the last 30 years where this sort of thing went on with the parties reversed. Or, at least, show me a debunking of 95% of the claims. I suspect you are making that up.

You are just mad because you are excluded from the group due to your non partisanship.

I feel pretty smited when one group of tards pretends the other group is "more" racist.

On a serious note, if you are near Anchorage, good luck, that applies obviously for Jim in Anchorage. Best of luck to him.

Thanks.

Nice spin, still waiting for the facts on how the racial hatred towards him didn't happen.

Comrade VABills, how do you prove something didn't happen? How about proving it actually did happen and then posting why you don't hear these "stories" anymore? (You may use "media conspiracy" but that's just another cop out).

I'll give you a head-start. Let's try the Steele accusation that a debate audience "pelted him with oreos." (You know, dark on the outside, white on the inside). That was his most famous story of racial hatred. After no one --- that is, nobody, no Republicans, non partisans or any media, left or right -- witnessed this overt and heinous attack -- Steele changed the story to the attackers "rolled oreos at his feet."

You see in the original story Steele "slightly" exaggerated when he say dozens of oreos were launched at him -- and since no one saw this hail storm of cookies it was changed to rolled along the floor, so people wouldn't have seen it. Too bad no one saw this either - including the cleaning staff who never saw evidence of cookies. After this simple investigation Steele and his people never brought up the story again.

Got any more?

Hey, I can only tell you what people were saying in my neighborhood and on the local political scene. I'll let you be the arbitrator of 'truth.'

I assume you can give me a link to a newspaper finding that 95% of the claims were fabricated? I looked but could only find blog stuff claiming to debunk it.

There seems to be no controversy about Steney Hoyer calling Steele 'token' in 2002 or describing him to black businessmen as "slavishly supporting the Republican Party" in 2006. I guess its not racist innuendo when you use those words against Republicans, unlike using 'Fairy Tale' to describe the rise of a Democrat.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6101701440.html

Or that a staffer for Cardin wrote (and was fired for) an anomyous blog chronicling the day-to-day racism and anti-semitism, including the handing out of - you guessed it - oreo cookies. (Steele denied that he was pelted as reported, but said some were at his feet. Nevertheless oreo's became symbolic among democrat partisans.)

Steeles claim that his credit records were illegally investigated by staffers of Chuck Shumer's Democrat Senatorial Campaign Committee who appropriated his SSN. One plead guilty.

http://www.bookrags.com/highbeam/democrat-...steele-case-hb/

Or that the DSCC sponsored (broken off after objections) a racist blog attacking black Republicans, with doctored photo's of Steele and the caption "I's Simple Sambo And I's Running for the Big House."

http://www.nysun.com/national/dscc-removes...d-racist/22478/

Nor have I found anything to deny reporting that Senate President Mike Miller called him an "Uncle Tom," or that Delegate Marriott likened him to 'a slave who loves his cruel master or a cookie that is black on the outside and white inside.'

It was a heated race with excesses on both sides, and there will always be staffers and self-annointed spokesmen who will cause embarrassment. But I defy you to find a race in the last 30 years where this sort of thing went on with the parties reversed. Or, at least, show me a debunking of 95% of the claims. I suspect you are making that up.

Nice try. There are always idiots on both sides who say dumb things but to characterize Steele as under some kind of organized racial campaign against him is complete BS. Nearly all the criticism had to do with his politics and lack of ideas and the rest of taken out context. To launch racial attacks on him in Maryland makes little political sense.

In the end, it was Steele who was unmasked as playing the race card and he paid the price for making up stories. Matter of fact, Steele never "denied" he was "pelted" with oreos -- he made up the story and was caught in a gross lie about the non-incident. On that story alone Steele loses a great deal of credibility. Steele did not succeed in Maryland because he was a black Republican (in a heavily black state), it was because he's a one-note right-wing Republican in a Democratic state.

The DSCC thing was not racial -- that was a rouge staffer who did the credit card thing and was justly fired and prosecuted.

The New York Sun is a rag -- there was no formal connection the Democrats. Just some random idiot.

And Cardin's low-level staffer was a nut-job who deserved to be fired and in no way was indicative of the campaign itself. To do otherwise would be political suicide.

Comrade VABills, how do you prove something didn't happen? How about proving it actually did happen and then posting why you don't hear these "stories" anymore? (You may use "media conspiracy" but that's just another cop out).

I'll give you a head-start. Let's try the Steele accusation that a debate audience "pelted him with oreos." (You know, dark on the outside, white on the inside). That was his most famous story of racial hatred. After no one --- that is, nobody, no Republicans, non partisans or any media, left or right -- witnessed this overt and heinous attack -- Steele changed the story to the attackers "rolled oreos at his feet."

You see in the original story Steele "slightly" exaggerated when he say dozens of oreos were launched at him -- and since no one saw this hail storm of cookies it was changed to rolled along the floor, so people wouldn't have seen it. Too bad no one saw this either - including the cleaning staff who never saw evidence of cookies. After this simple investigation Steele and his people never brought up the story again.

Got any more?

For a guy who insists on credible reporting, you seem a bit hypocritical - you have yet to post a single link. Can you give a reputable link that quotes Steele as saying anything you attribute to him? As far as I can tell, the oreos on the floor were his first comments on the matter - I found no record of his ever saying he was hit. Give us this original story of yours where he exaggerated - I'd like to see it.

And can you back up your claim that the cleaning staff saw no evidence of cookies? I'll that I've read is that the building manager was asked three years after the event and he said he didn't see any. (Remember, Steele was in the audience - it was a gubernatorial event). Here, I'll save you the time and give the wiki account:

Oreo cookie incident

After a September 26, 2002 gubernatorial debate, which had occurred without reported incident, Paul Schurick, Ehrlich's communications manager, claimed that the Townsend campaign handed out Oreo cookies to the audience.[8] Five days after the debate, Steele said that one or more Oreo cookies had rolled to his feet during the debate suggesting a racist statement against him, that of being black on the outside and white on the inside like an Oreo. "Maybe it was just someone having their snack, but it was there," Steele said. "If it happened, shame on them if they are that immature and that threatened by me." At the time of the debate, Schurick had not mentioned any such incident, but in November 2005 he claimed "It was raining Oreos... They were thick in the air like locusts. I was there. It was very real. It wasn't subtle."[9] In a November 2005 Hannity and Colmes appearance, Steele agreed with Hannity that cookies were thrown at him.[10] Neil Duke of the Baltimore NAACP, who moderated the debate, praised the "passionate audience" and noted their "derisive behavior"[8] but did not see such behavior. "Were there some goofballs sitting in [the] right-hand corner section tossing cookies amongst themselves and acting like sophomores, as the legend has it?" Duke said. "I have no reason to doubt those sources; I just didn't see it."[9][11][12] The operations manager of the building where the debate was held, interviewed three years after the event by The Baltimore Sun, disputed Steele's claim and said "I was in on the cleanup, and we found no cookies or anything else abnormal. There were no Oreo cookies thrown."[9] Some eyewitnesses including AP reporter Tom Stuckey who was at the event have said cookies were handed out.[13] Other eyewitnesses could not corroborate Steele and Schurick's claim.[14][15]

That's a far cry from what you are saying.

As for 'nobody, no Republicans, etc,' what about this?

http://www.nationalcenter.org/2005/11/mich...o-incident.html

Btw, I'm still waiting on you to see where 95% of his claims were debunked.

For a guy who insists on credible reporting, you seem a bit hypocritical - you have yet to post a single link. Can you give a reputable link that quotes Steele as saying anything you attribute to him? As far as I can tell, the oreos on the floor were his first comments on the matter - I found no record of his ever saying he was hit. Give us this original story of yours where he exaggerated - I'd like to see it.

And can you back up your claim that the cleaning staff saw no evidence of cookies? I'll that I've read is that the building manager was asked three years after the event and he said he didn't see any. (Remember, Steele was in the audience - it was a gubernatorial event). Here, I'll save you the time and give the wiki account:

That's a far cry from what you are saying.

As for 'nobody, no Republicans, etc,' what about this?

http://www.nationalcenter.org/2005/11/mich...o-incident.html

Btw, I'm still waiting on you to see where 95% of his claims were debunked.

Seriously, your source is Wikipedia????? :thumbsup: That's awesome.

Dude, do you even know how to use the internet? I found these in 30 seconds.

Many articles cited here:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200511210004

http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=11150

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=428&sid=622881

Clean-up quote noted here:

http://www.americablog.com/2005/11/gov-ehr...-steele-in.html

You'll also note that the Washington Times and other rags reported the GOP version of events but never ran a correction of the story. I know, weird.

Need anything else?

Seriously, your source is Wikipedia????? :thumbsup: That's awesome.

Dude, do you even know how to use the internet? I found these in 30 seconds.

Many articles cited here:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200511210004

<a href="http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=11150" target="_blank">http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=11150</a>

<a href="http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=428&sid=622881" target="_blank">http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=428&sid=622881</a>

Clean-up quote noted here:

http://www.americablog.com/2005/11/gov-ehr...-steele-in.html

You'll also note that the Washington Times and other rags reported the GOP version of events but never ran a correction of the story. I know, weird.

Need anything else?

Wow - your inability to read and comprehend is nothing short of embarrassing. The wiki passage was given because it was clear you hadn't been researching anything and needed to be caught up to the basic outlines of the controversary. If you have a reputable source that contradicts that summary, bring it on. Wiki is not my source, as I have explained repeatedly. Despite over an hour researching it, I cannot find any reputable source substantiating your claims. Hence my repeated request.

Even your links are a joke. Both WTOP radio and the Baltimore City Paper, bastions of investigative reporting, contradict what you have been saying. The sad thing is that you can't see why.

That's it for me.