Bryant Johnson

If he doesn't get resigned do you think the Bills will consider him....again. His stats weren't terrible considering the QB situation in San Francisco. 45 rec 546 yards 3 TD's.

He was grossly outplayed by a sr. citizen in Bruce...

Where does he play here? Evans is #1, Reed is better than him, so Reed still is #2...so the best he could be would be a #3 here, but then that takes valuable playing time from Johnson and Hardy needed to develop them...so signing him actually to me would be a bad thing...

Unless we get someone that is an upgrade over Reed like a TJ or Boldin, then bringing someone would be a mistake as it will stall the development of our young guys who look promising, well at least Johnson looks promising as Hardy has the injury to deal with...

If he resigns then that probably means he doesn't want to play anymore. :wallbash:

Where does he play here? Evans is #1, Reed is better than him, so Reed still is #2...so the best he could be would be a #3 here, but then that takes valuable playing time from Johnson and Hardy needed to develop them...so signing him actually to me would be a bad thing...

Unless we get someone that is an upgrade over Reed like a TJ or Boldin, then bringing someone would be a mistake as it will stall the development of our young guys who look promising, well at least Johnson looks promising as Hardy has the injury to deal with...

My feelings on bringing in any other vet receiver, barring injury, is what you just said.

Complete and utter nonsense

Really?

Issac Bruce: 61rec, 835yds, 7tds, 13.7ypc

Bryant Johnson: 45rec, 546yds, 3 tds, 12.1ypc

Hmm...Bryant was signed to be a possible #1 target but got outplayed by the old vet badly in all categories including YPC (what supposed to be one of Bryants stong points). AND he was on a 1 year deal to position himself for a big deal this year...so even with that motivation he did squat...

But you are right, Bruce outplaying Bryant is total nonsense...lmao...genius

His only with more than 50 yards were 56, 56, 60, and 78...thats a meesly 4 times in a whole season he went over 50 yards in a pass happy offense as the #2 WR...

He had 6 games with 2 catches or less, including 3 with zero...he played all 16 games...

Your evaluation of talent is total nonsense...

I dont mean this in a insulting way...but I am going to guess you haven't played competitive football. Most people who haven't been down on that field rely too heavily on statistics to determine a players value and performance. The truth is, there is so much more that makes up a player, his value, and overall performance than what shows up in a stat sheet. :wallbash:

Really?

Hmm...Bryant was signed to be a possible #1 target but got outplayed by the old vet badly in all categories including YPC (what supposed to be one of Bryants stong points). AND he was on a 1 year deal to position himself for a big deal this year...so even with that motivation he did squat...

His only with more than 50 yards were 56, 56, 60, and 78...thats a meesly 4 times in a whole season he went over 50 yards in a pass happy offense as the #2 WR...

He had 6 games with 2 catches or less, including 3 with zero...he played all 16 games...

I dont mean this in a insulting way...but I am going to guess you haven't played competitive football. Most people who haven't been down on that field rely too heavily on statistics to determine a players value and performance. The truth is, there is so much more that makes up a player, his value, and overall performance than what shows up in a stat sheet. :wallbash:

Exactly. Maybe Bruce had better stats because defenses paid more attention to Johnson. Stats don't tell the whole story.

I dont take offense to that question and its a fair one, in fact, I have made the same comment. And, honestly, I did play competitive football and started for 4 years in the Pac 10 for a ranked school and have stated it in the past on other posts. I have even stated exactly what you just said, including today, on other threads that stats dont tell the whole story as to a players performance...

However, in this case, it does by far...This guy never got open, was barely noticed on the field in most games and didnt make his team better even when facing single coverage. I live in LA and have several friends who are big 49ers fans, so the game was on every week when I was at the bar watching Bills games...trust me, this guy did squat on the field and was grossly over shadowed by Bruce even though he was playing for a big contract...

I assure you he was outplayed...in fact, 49er fans dont want him back...

Exactly. Maybe Bruce had better stats because defenses paid more attention to Johnson. Stats don't tell the whole story.

LMAO...I hope this was sarcastic...but in case it wasn't, Bruce was the one facing double teams...Bryant couldnt even get open...

So I am guessing you were being funny or you have no idea and were just throwing something out there...

Forget about his name or what he was suppose to do. The guy still had an ok season. I don't think he'll be in high demand and I'm not expecting 1000 yards. Would you sign him if the price was right?

You're right in that regard OJS, it's a matter of what the price is/what the value is.

However, the argument that counters the signing of any veteran wideout, and this was driven home by the earlier posts on the merits of signing Mike Furrey, is:

Some Bills' fans would rather upgrade solely at the top of the position, but not at any of the depth positions because of the fear that getting a veteran depth player will retard the development of the young wideouts, namely Steve Johnson and James Hardy.

So I think that is also a valid point as well as your point that if the guy comes in cheap, what do we have to lose?

in fact, I have made the same comment.

Yeah, considering it was cut and pasted directly from one of your posts I'd say so.

So basically somebody used statistics to make a point in a discussion with you and you acted like a condescending ass. And then you turned around and used statistics to make a point exactly like the guy you ragged on.

Well done. :wallbash:

As for Johnson and Bruce I give credit to the Reverend for having a very nice season. But the few times I watched the 49ers, Johnson was always being bracketed while he ran the rude routes between the hashes while Bruce was always getting free releases from #2 corners with no help over the top. To say that Bryant Johnson was "grossly outplayed" is just flat out stupid.

And if you told 32 NFL GM's you'd rather have Bruce than Johnson every single one of them would laugh in your face.

Really?

I don't disagree with you that Bruce outplayed Bryant. I disagree with your assessment of Bruce that he is a senior citizen and should automatically be outplayed. Here are his stats from 2006, 2007, and 2008. He is still a good player.

2006 - 74/1098

2007 - 55/733

2008 - 61/835

Here is my problem with your argument... Reed shouldn't be a number 2 receiver, he should be the slot. Therefore a true number 2, in my mind is the other outside receiver. In saying that we need help because that guy needs to be Johnson or Hardy. That isn't enough for me. We need to pursue a receiver over 6' 2", that is physical to demand at least a little bit of attention.

Forget about his name or what he was suppose to do. The guy still had an ok season. I don't think he'll be in high demand and I'm not expecting 1000 yards. Would you sign him if the price was right?

No. I wouldn't even sign him for vet min. The fact that he only wanted a one year deal last year so he could be a FA this year shows he's a selfish player and his sub par season means that he just can't get it done when a lot is on the line.

No, thanks. :wallbash:

No. I wouldn't even sign him for vet min. The fact that he only wanted a one year deal last year so he could be a FA this year shows he's a selfish player and his sub par season means that he just can't get it done when a lot is on the line.

There isn't anything else to be but selfish, when you are a free agent. I don't condemn him for that.

thank you...my point exactly...he put up better numbers as a #3 WR than a #2 WR...

Its also interesting that Breston as the #3 WR in AZ and a rookie managed to top 1000 yards and put a better season than Bryant ever did in the same offense...