Why teams don't like drafting at the top

Steely Dan posted a great link with player salaries in another post. Here's the link:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse...amp;majteam=BUF

It really puts things in monetary perspective. For instance:

Drafted 4th overall in the 2008 NFL Draft:

Darren McFadden Running Back 6/5/2008: Signed a six-year, $60 million contract. The deal contains $26 million guaranteed, including a $6.4 million "log" bonus.

Drafted 11th overall in the 2008 NFL Draft

Leodis McKelvin Defensive Back 7/26/2008: Signed a five-year, $19.4 million contract. The deal includes $12.6 million guaranteed.

Teams rarely trade up into the top five because of this huge disparity. The top five are typically among the highest paid players at their positions without having ever played a down in the NFL.

The better values are where the Bills' usually pick and this is also good because teams are usually willing to trade up into this range so the Bills should actually have trade down partners if they so choose.

Here's the link I sent out before on the existing Draft Trade Chart developed by the Dallas Cowboys and currently used today as rough parameters for any trade of draft picks.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/draft/draft-trade-chart/

There's been some discussion on modifying this chart because it doesn't properly take into account the changing disparity in pay between top five and lower first round picks. You can see that if we had wanted to trade from #11 to #4 it would have cost us at least a high 3rd round pick. To move up seven spots. And then we'd have to pay a ton more money to sign the player.

Anyways, if Orakpo, Brown, Pettigrew and/or Raji or all or mostly available at #11, the Bills should be able to trade down and pick up extra picks.

It's not just the salaries. It's a combination of the salaries and the draft chart. You can't tell me most teams would swap picks straight-up to move up in the draft, i.e. the Bills flipping picks with the Seahawks. The problem is the chart is outdated, and no GM wants to be the first one to try and fix it.

It's not just the salaries. It's a combination of the salaries and the draft chart. You can't tell me most teams would swap picks straight-up to move up in the draft, i.e. the Bills flipping picks with the Seahawks. The problem is the chart is outdated, and no GM wants to be the first one to try and fix it.

Exactly right. Still it bodes well for the Bills because at least right now, it looks like they are positioned well for a possible trade down scenario which would still allow us to get the player we've targeted.

Steely Dan posted a great link with player salaries in another post. Here's the link:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse...amp;majteam=BUF

It really puts things in monetary perspective. For instance:

Drafted 4th overall in the 2008 NFL Draft:

Darren McFadden Running Back 6/5/2008: Signed a six-year, $60 million contract. The deal contains $26 million guaranteed, including a $6.4 million "log" bonus.

Drafted 11th overall in the 2008 NFL Draft

Leodis McKelvin Defensive Back 7/26/2008: Signed a five-year, $19.4 million contract. The deal includes $12.6 million guaranteed.

Teams rarely trade up into the top five because of this huge disparity. The top five are typically among the highest paid players at their positions without having ever played a down in the NFL.

The better values are where the Bills' usually pick and this is also good because teams are usually willing to trade up into this range so the Bills should actually have trade down partners if they so choose.

Here's the link I sent out before on the existing Draft Trade Chart developed by the Dallas Cowboys and currently used today as rough parameters for any trade of draft picks.

There's been some discussion on modifying this chart because it doesn't properly take into account the changing disparity in pay between top five and lower first round picks. You can see that if we had wanted to trade from #11 to #4 it would have cost us at least a high 3rd round pick. To move up seven spots. And then we'd have to pay a ton more money to sign the player.

Anyways, if Orakpo, Brown, Pettigrew and/or Raji or all or mostly available at #11, the Bills should be able to trade down and pick up extra picks.

I remember reading several articles about the problems of trading up in the draft into the top 10 and the vast majority of the problem is the salaries. I don't think there are a lot of teams that are willing to trade up from 21st to #1 for their first and a second.

The new CBA is probably going to have a rookie scale for the draft. It will make trading up a lot easier.

There's been some discussion on modifying this chart because it doesn't properly take into account the changing disparity in pay between top five and lower first round picks. You can see that if we had wanted to trade from #11 to #4 it would have cost us at least a high 3rd round pick......

Did you mean to say a high 3rd.....or high 2nd?

According to that chart.....

#11 = 1250

#4 = 1800

The difference is 550......which equates to pick #35(3rd pick in 2nd round).....not a high 3rd rounder.