Exxon-Mobil earns record yearly profit

PromoTheRobot

I don't know where they derive most of their income (I should, I'm a stockholder), but I suspect it's substantially due to refining. The have a very small share of the world crude mkt (I'd guess maybe 5%) but I suspect have a substantial mkt share of US refining. More important than high oil prices is the (what I assume to be) historically high crack spread. Unleaded & Heating Oil are WAY higher in relation to Crude than what they typically are.

First, what does Wall Street have to do with this topic?

Second, since you are an expert on the subject, can you explain who exactly got wealthy with this outrageous $45B profit? Do you actually understand where that money comes from and goes?

Lee Raymond did pretty well. I imagine Tillerson's not clipping any coupons either.

First, what does Wall Street have to do with this topic?

Second, since you are an expert on the subject, can you explain who exactly got wealthy with this outrageous $45B profit? Do you actually understand where that money comes from and goes?

They don't understand.

I know I get some in my IRA, 401k and my mutual funds.

They're on track to pay an equivalent amount in taxes. 48%, up from 45%. They've paid $11.3B for the quarter and $31.2B thru 3 quarters.

If we could only encourage other companies to do as well we wouldn't be in the BAIL OUT mode.

Oh no, don't you know the best way out of a recession is to punish evil companies for earning too much money while people play the "woe is me" card?

They don't understand.

I know I get some in my IRA, 401k and my mutual funds.

No, they don't. Lack of understanding + Really big numbers = Outrage over "Big Oil".

This is the largest company in the world so it's pretty natural that they also make the most money. Their profit margin is only about 10%. The $45B equates to about $8.69 per share, the vast majority of which goes to ordinary Americans who are invested in the Company -- and that includes probably every person on this board who owns a mutual fund.

I don't know where they derive most of their income (I should, I'm a stockholder), but I suspect it's substantially due to refining. The have a very small share of the world crude mkt (I'd guess maybe 5%) but I suspect have a substantial mkt share of US refining. More important than high oil prices is the (what I assume to be) historically high crack spread. Unleaded & Heating Oil are WAY higher in relation to Crude than what they typically are.

Actually refining is not high margin and retail sales of gas is even lower - most mopney comes from finding it, drawing it out of the ground and selling it as crude.