Dell to enter the SmartPhone business

PromoTheRobot

Dell SmartPhones?

I don't know much about Google Android but when I saw they want to incorporate Windows Mobile that made me lose interest fast. Your not going to make people trade in their iPhones by offering them the tech equivalent of stone tools. I finally broke down and got a Verizon LG Dare phone. (AT&T just doesn't cover my house well enough.) Every time I use it I wish I had an iPhone. It's like driving a Yugo after a BMW.

Oh I just read something about AT&T developing a new "micro-cell" you can install in your house if your cell service is spotty. Great. Now I'm stuck with Verizon for two more years.

PTR

I get Blackberry through work and really like it. I selected a Pearl handset - I like it for its size but as a web surfing tool not so good because the screen is too small. Unfortunately our corporate contract is with Sprint so their smartphone selection is lagging. The CEO here is pushing to move to AT&T so we can get Iphones so I will let you know how I like it - those that have one generally seem not to like touch keyboard.

I get Blackberry through work and really like it. I selected a Pearl handset - I like it for its size but as a web surfing tool not so good because the screen is too small. Unfortunately our corporate contract is with Sprint so their smartphone selection is lagging. The CEO here is pushing to move to AT&T so we can get iPhones so I will let you know how I like it - those that have one generally seem not to like touch keyboard.

I have no problem with the iPhone/iPod touch keyboard, and I have large hands. In fact the i-keyboard makes intelligent assumptions that make typing easier. e.g. I type "im" and it knows I mean "I'm". Same if I mispell a word. But what makes the iPhone rock are the apps. They must offer tens of thousands now, many of them for free. Some that are truly amazing. The rest of the cell phone industry is treading water, IMO.

BTW, did you see the BuffNews column on NU joining a lesser hockey conference in 2010? They really let the school have it.

PTR

I have no problem with the iPhone/iPod touch keyboard, and I have large hands. In fact the i-keyboard makes intelligent assumptions that make typing easier. e.g. I type "im" and it knows I mean "I'm". Same if I mispell a word. But what makes the iPhone rock are the apps. They must offer tens of thousands now, many of them for free. Some that are truly amazing. The rest of the cell phone industry is treading water, IMO.

Blackberry (and lots of other phones) have had the predictive text for eons. Heck, even my Palm had that, and it wasn't even a phone. B-)

I hate virtual keyboards - hate them on phones, hate them on remote controls. I have an iPod Touch and I don't see why people think the interface is so slick... It's not very intuitive and too many functions are hidden because there's no physical buttons (well, one...).

BTW, did you see the BuffNews column on NU joining a lesser hockey conference in 2010? They really let the school have it.

PTR

I have not but thanks for the heads up ... I'll check it out. Hockey became big there after I graduated so I tend not to follow closely

Blackberry (and lots of other phones) have had the predictive text for eons. Heck, even my Palm had that, and it wasn't even a phone. B-)

I hate virtual keyboards - hate them on phones, hate them on remote controls. I have an iPod Touch and I don't see why people think the interface is so slick... It's not very intuitive and too many functions are hidden because there's no physical buttons (well, one...).

I guess were all different. I found my iPod to be totally intuitive. Never had to crack a manual to learn how to do anything. Meanwhile I spent 20 minutes with the Blackberry Curve at the Verizon store trying to simply look at the TBD webpage. I couldn't do it and nether could the sales guy.

PTR

I just swapped phones after misplacing my Palm Treo, and decided to spend the next 30 days feeling out the HTC Fuze from AT&T. It acts like an Iphone from a slick flick-your-finger-navigation standpoint, but also has a slideout keyboard. It runs Windows Mobile, which I need for the sake of reading Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, PDFs, and so far so good. The only problem I have so far is getting my emails to go outbound, which is strange because the Treo never had a problem that a soft reboot wouldn't fix. I just haven't checked the settings, which are probably missing a digit somewhere.

Dell SmartPhones?

I don't know much about Google Android but when I saw they want to incorporate Windows Mobile that made me lose interest fast. Your not going to make people trade in their iPhones by offering them the tech equivalent of stone tools. I finally broke down and got a Verizon LG Dare phone. (AT&T just doesn't cover my house well enough.) Every time I use it I wish I had an iPhone. It's like driving a Yugo after a BMW.

Oh I just read something about AT&T developing a new "micro-cell" you can install in your house if your cell service is spotty. Great. Now I'm stuck with Verizon for two more years.

PTR

Dell ran their mouths a few years back about taking a big bite out of iPod's market share, and rolled out their Digital Jukebox (DJ) line of mp3 players. That didn't work out so well and Dell discontinued their entire mp3 line in August 2006.