Norm Coleman Fakes A Website Crash!!

Jeez this guy is desperate.

The Coleman campaign said tens of thousands of page views brought the site down, but the explanation on mnpublius says ColemanForSenate.com has handled much more traffic in the past, and that it's also pointing to an IP address that goes nowhere.

“The new Coleman website features a page where voters can search a database to determine if their vote is one of the thousands of voters the Franken campaign is seeking to disenfranchise,” Coleman's campaign said.

Jeez this guy is desperate.

The Coleman campaign said tens of thousands of page views brought the site down, but the explanation on mnpublius says ColemanForSenate.com has handled much more traffic in the past, and that it's also pointing to an IP address that goes nowhere.

“The new Coleman website features a page where voters can search a database to determine if their vote is one of the thousands of voters the Franken campaign is seeking to disenfranchise,” Coleman's campaign said.

Awesome! They're so stupid they didn't even point it to a fake ip address that could even be potentially valid.

colemanforsenate.com currently resolves to 1.1.1.1

Ha! Retards.

Awesome! They're so stupid they didn't even point it to a fake ip address that could even be potentially valid.

colemanforsenate.com currently resolves to 1.1.1.1

Ha! Retards.

Dumbass! It's just way too funny. I wonder if there's any legal repercussions for what he did? Probably not but I hope this gets splashed all over the media. :lol:

The site seems to work fine now. Isn’t it possible that this is something they did to shut things down or redirect traffic while they dealt with the problem? And why would they not want as many people as possible to be able to get to their site? Playing the victim is not normally how republicans play. Just doesn't make sense.

The site seems to work fine now. Isn’t it possible that this is something they did to shut things down or redirect traffic while they dealt with the problem? And why would they not want as many people as possible to be able to get to their site? Playing the victim is not normally how republicans play. Just doesn't make sense.

B-)

Right, the right never bitches about taxes being higher for the rich, the liberal courts are the reason for keeping America free since that pisses them off and God is being taken out of society.

Anyway, This was a faked crash. It works now because they fixed it and the plan was to only have it down for a little while anyway.

B-)

Right, the right never bitches about taxes being higher for the rich, the liberal courts are the reason for keeping America free since that pisses them off and God is being taken out of society.

Anyway, This was a faked crash. It works now because they fixed it and the plan was to only have it down for a little while anyway.

Uhmm, anyway, so, you believe they faked the site crash? Why? A publicity stunt? How does this help them win an election? I mean, I have no idea. It just doesn't seem like a plan that would do them any good. How is it you know their plan? Did they tell you?

Uhmm, anyway, so, you believe they faked the site crash? Why? A publicity stunt? How does this help them win an election? I mean, I have no idea. It just doesn't seem like a plan that would do them any good. How is it you know their plan? Did they tell you?

Look above at what Gene wrote. The reason they did it is because it was the first day they put up a search engine to see if you were one of the people on the list of the ballots in question between Franken and himself. They wanted it to appear like so many people were trying to find out that their board crashed. It was a stunt so poorly executed it's obvious that's what they were trying to do.

In a desperate attempt to garner seeming outrage by millions of voters for the impending reversal after recount, they:

1. Set up a website to allow "voters [to] search a database to determine if their vote is one of the thousands of voters the Franken campaign is seeking to disenfranchise".

2. Point their primary url (colemanforsenate.com) to a ridiculously bogus ip address (1.1.1.1). Each computer's ip address is completely unique (so that it can be found by other computers). By pointing the dns entry of colemanforsenate.com to 1.1.1.1, they're saying that the web server that is serving colemanforsenate.com is located at that address. The problem is, this address is NOT within the valid ip address range.

3. They claim that the immense amount of web traffic to their site, supposedly from all of these voters who fear disenfranchisement, has caused their site to crash, a.k.a. they were slashdotted :wallbash:. In reality, past site performance clearly shows that colemanforsenate.com has easily handled more traffic in the past. The redirect to the bogus ip is obvious to anyone who even kind of knows what they're talking about.

4. Caught in an obvious ruse, the Coleman campaign quietly tucks its tail between its legs and points dns back to the correct web server ip address.

Conclusion, it may have been more difficult to figure this out if their IT geniuses pointed the dns entry to a bs ip address in the vaid range...or simply shut down the web server for a time...or redirected to a contrived page that made it look like they were down...etc...

Trust me, it's dumb move that makes them look really bad.

Trust me, it's dumb move that makes them look really bad.

Well, it makes them look stupid to people you and I, not sure if anybody else cares. And yeah, this is very stupid. There were multiple alternative ways to make this phony crash happen, and all of them are much less detectable than what they did. I can think of one right now that would be virtually undetectable.

But, I doubt Granny is going to care one way or the other. I am sure you've seen clients whose brains automatically switch off the instant any technical term is used, right? And, this wouldn't be the first time somebody who "knows what they are doing"/client-side/corporate IT came up with an asshat design would it?

Well, it makes them look stupid to people you and I, not sure if anybody else cares. And yeah, this is very stupid. There were multiple alternative ways to make this phony crash happen, and all of them are much less detectable than what they did. I can think of one right now that would be virtually undetectable.

But, I doubt Granny is going to care one way or the other. I am sure you've seen clients whose brains automatically switch off the instant any technical term is used, right? And, this wouldn't be the first time somebody who "knows what they are doing"/client-side/corporate IT came up with an asshat design would it?

Too true.

I know very little about how websites actually work and I got it. You're right though that most people won't care about the minutia but I think it will stick out a little when they hear it was faked. JMO