The messiah breaking his policy again

VABills

Here's another thought... maybe these are the "good" guys? That is... the only knock is a little tax evasion. Its gotta be pretty well impossible to hire someone that has worked in DC for more than a few years and hasn't done anything illegal.

The bar is getting lowered so much, the next nominee has to be an expert limbo dancer.

Here's another thought... maybe these are the "good" guys? That is... the only knock is a little tax evasion. Its gotta be pretty well impossible to hire someone that has worked in DC for more than a few years and hasn't done anything illegal.

I can't find the quote , but didn't Daschle about 10 years ago say something to the effect that paying taxes is one of the easiest and most patriotic things an American can do?

On NPR they were airily dismississing his problems as 'failure to realize he needed to pay taxes on loaner cars." Nothing about not disclosing *employment income.* He must have been driving a corporate loaner a hell of a lot for the tax bill on it to have hit $140,000.

I can't find the quote , but didn't Daschle about 10 years ago say something to the effect that paying taxes is one of the easiest and most patriotic things an American can do?

It was in his drive to slam US companies that didn't repatriate profits to the US because the tax rates are higher here than in the foreign countries where the companies have operations.

You see, taxes should only be paid by people who are likely to be Republicans or Conservatives. Everyone else should get a pass, because they were honest mistakes.

Move along folks. Nothing to see here. Nothing to hide.

I think the point is more that Republicans would be tarred, feathered, keelhauled, dragged over hot coals, drawn, and quartered in the public eye for the same things that nominees of a Democratic administration are getting a slap on the wrist for. I don't think errors on tax returns are all that big a deal, no matter what the party (particularly if they're made right when caught)...but in terms of presentation and perception, there is definitely a double-standard at play here.

A bigger concern, I think, should be Daschle accepting "gifts" that turn out to be "income" to the point where he owes $140k in taxes on them. That's a hell of a lot of gifts. Makes me start wondering about ethics violations.

I think the point is more that Republicans would be tarred, feathered, keelhauled, dragged over hot coals, drawn, and quartered in the public eye for the same things that nominees of a Democratic administration are getting a slap on the wrist for. I don't think errors on tax returns are all that big a deal, no matter what the party (particularly if they're made right when caught)...but in terms of presentation and perception, there is definitely a double-standard at play here.

A bigger concern, I think, should be Daschle accepting "gifts" that turn out to be "income" to the point where he owes $140k in taxes on them. That's a hell of a lot of gifts. Makes me start wondering about ethics violations.

Wow. Isint that the truth.

I think the point is more that Republicans would be tarred, feathered, keelhauled, dragged over hot coals, drawn, and quartered in the public eye for the same things that nominees of a Democratic administration are getting a slap on the wrist for.

As painful as it will ultimately prove to be, the best thing to happen to the Republicans is having the Democrats in full charge of everything.

Unfortunately, many of their policies will be tough to reign in when the world realizes how reckless they are.

On NPR they were airily dismississing his problems as 'failure to realize he needed to pay taxes on loaner cars." Nothing about not disclosing *employment income.* He must have been driving a corporate loaner a hell of a lot for the tax bill on it to have hit $140,000.

Actually, because he felt so stupid, and was obviously wrong, he claimed way more than he needed to or should have, once he decided to pay, it was reported yesterday by Richard Wolffe of Newsweek. That's why it is so much. In effect, what he claimed was he used the car full time, all day every day when he didn't at all. The fact that he did this though, probably has a reverse effect. It makes him look more guilty, not less. And it draws more attention to it, like you just did. Seemed like a really dumb thing to do after a really dumb thing to do.

It is just is bad for the administration and it looks bad.

Dude, you're making it sound like he skipped out on his income taxes or something.

This is in regards to a driver. A perk. Something NOBODY claims because the IRS could never audit everyone's perks.

No idea. These guys say so many things so many different ways, I wouldn't begin to remember. Although I would agree, paying taxes is pretty easy or should be.

I assumed it was $140k due to all the late fees/penalties. But, who knows.

As I alluded to in my post, somewhat in jest, if you have a career politician who's only problem is a $100k or so in tax evasion; I say take him. That's relatively minor compared to all the other illegal activities our wonderful congressmen get away with on a daily basis. The single biggest change anyone could bring to DC would be terms limits for congressmen. Period. Until they do that, nothing will truly change.

Dude, you're making it sound like he skipped out on his income taxes or something.

This is in regards to a driver. A perk. Something NOBODY claims because the IRS could never audit everyone's perks.

Dude he did.

Dude, it wasn't just about the driver there were other things. Granted the driver was the biggest, but DUDE, he cheated and someone at that income level should know better especially since he was a key member in getting those tax codes implemented, along with Rangel who sits on that committee.

BTW, DUDE.

Wants to name a Sachs guy to treasury. WTF, why create rules if you're going to break it every 5 minutes.

Well, I haven't discussed this with Obama today :wallbash:

but doesn't Microsoft look for the best hackers they can find to help increase security? Not sure that a good policy, but it seems to be common practice

No idea. These guys say so many things so many different ways, I wouldn't begin to remember. Although I would agree, paying taxes is pretty easy or should be.

I assumed it was $140k due to all the late fees/penalties. But, who knows.

As I alluded to in my post, somewhat in jest, if you have a career politician who's only problem is a $100k or so in tax evasion; I say take him. That's relatively minor compared to all the other illegal activities our wonderful congressmen get away with on a daily basis. The single biggest change anyone could bring to DC would be terms limits for congressmen. Period. Until they do that, nothing will truly change.

No, it was 11k in late fees/penalties.

What I originally read was that he didn't claim about a 100k in actual income, and had 30k worth of problems with undisclosed compensation (ie the cars) and inappropriate deductions. To me not disclosing the income is far, far more serious that the other problems - it strikes to the heart of public integrity.

As painful as it will ultimately prove to be, the best thing to happen to the Republicans is having the Democrats in full charge of everything.

Unfortunately, many of their policies will be tough to reign in when the world realizes how reckless they are.

And who will ever know who's fault it is? When things go for even a bigger $h1t because of wacky, irresponsible spending it will all be that evil GW's fault. Saintly Obama never had a chance. But he is a true warrior and is trying his best for a new America.