Woooow!

BillsNYC

Paris Hilton is a pop singer like Anne Coulter is a journalist who doesn't shoot heroin.

Thanks for !@#$ing up a perfectly good analogy.

FWIW, I used to be a huge Bill Maher fan, and even attended a taping of "Politically Incorrect."

But that was before he started thinking he was in some way relevant to the political landscape.

Thanks for !@#$ing up a perfectly good analogy.

FWIW, I used to be a huge Bill Maher fan, and even attended a taping of "Politically Incorrect."

But that was before he started thinking he was in some way relevant to the political landscape.

What has he done to indicate this?

His show still maintains a strong comedic tone, regardless if you find it funny.

What has he done to indicate this?

His show still maintains a strong comedic tone, regardless if you find it funny.

Bill Maher opened himself up to this type of attack when he starting attacking peoples' sacred cows and religions. First, I'm sure he doesn't care. Second, I'm the sure reason he gets so vehemently attacked these days is because he's mostly right about sacred cows and religions.

Certainly not for anyone who would label Maher a comedian.

You mean except that he still does stand-up comedy shows across the country that are just like his TV show, he spent a lot of 2007 doing a comedy/mockumentary movie, he hired numerous longtime Hollywood comedy writers for his staff, the people that hired and pay him consider it to be a comedy show, and he begins each of his shows with a monologue solely designed to get laughs like all other comedians who host talk shows?

If you don't think he is ever funny, that's a legitimate opinion (although I don't share it), but that is not saying he is not a comedian. There are a lot of comedians who aren't funny.

He is the equivalent of Dennis Miller, who is still a comedian, even though he does a politically based talk show. Whenever you see Miller, or Maher, they simultaneously try to get their political point across through satire or sarcasm designed to get laughs.

You mean except that he still does stand-up comedy shows across the country that are just like his TV show, he spent a lot of 2007 doing a comedy/mockumentary movie, he hired numerous longtime Hollywood comedy writers for his staff, the people that hired and pay him consider it to be a comedy show, and he begins each of his shows with a monologue solely designed to get laughs like all other comedians who host talk shows?

If you don't think he is ever funny, that's a legitimate opinion (although I don't share it), but that is not saying he is not a comedian. There are a lot of comedians who aren't funny.

He is the equivalent of Dennis Miller, who is still a comedian, even though he does a politically based talk show. Whenever you see Miller, or Maher, they simultaneously try to get their political point across through satire or sarcasm designed to get laughs.

Miller is educated, witty and entertaining.

Maher is an asshat both in public and private life.

Miller is educated, witty and entertaining.

Maher is an asshat both in public and private life.

Well, since I think Dennis Miller was a college dropout from Point Park University and Bill Maher graduated from Cornell, it's hard to say who is more educated. They are both very smart.

I would bet anything in the world that Dennis Miller would trade his job on the radio for Bill Maher's job on TV, but no way Maher would trade his for Miller's, so I would think that it's quite arguable who would be considered more entertaining. Maher probably has a bigger following these days but that's not saying much.

I do think that Maher is an asshat in private, but have heard Miller can be quite an arrogant prick, too.

Of course, none of that has anything to do with them being comedians or not. Which they both are.

Was reading this and thought most was dead on...then got to the end, she's going to get blasted for the last line:

http://townhall.com/columnists/AnnCoulter/..._at_home?page=1

Who really gives a crap what that female Howard Cosell says? If she didn't say outrageously incendiary things no one would pay any attention to her.

Quite the contrary. She is a genius. Coulter realize that we are a country of hate mongers and knows just what to say to make people angry enough to listen. If it makes money, its ok....so the argument goes.

Pretty well spot on. Rush, Coulter, and all these types are good at one thing and that's getting people riled up enough to listen to/watch them. They say whatever they can to get people to tune in. Period. No different from Howard Stern, really. Stern does it with hookers and sex talk, while Rush and Coulter do it with politics talk. I'm sure there are "liberal" shock jocks just as bad, although I don't know any of them. I would guess they're not as good as Rush or Coulter, otherwise I'd know their name.

Bottomline: anything Coultler, Rush, or any of these guys says is nothing more than entertainment much like listening to Stern.

Pretty well spot on. Rush, Coulter, and all these types are good at one thing and that's getting people riled up enough to listen to/watch them. They say whatever they can to get people to tune in. Period. No different from Howard Stern, really. Stern does it with hookers and sex talk, while Rush and Coulter do it with politics talk. I'm sure there are "liberal" shock jocks just as bad, although I don't know any of them. I would guess they're not as good as Rush or Coulter, otherwise I'd know their name.

Bottomline: anything Coultler, Rush, or any of these guys says is nothing more than entertainment much like listening to Stern.

Scary part is, there are people even on this very board who would take offense to you comparing Coulter to Stern. I would like to agree with you, but I'm fairly certain no one (well at least far FAR fewer people) establish their political philosophies (read: vote) as influenced by the ramblings of Howard Stern.

Well, maybe his stand up is radically different than his TV show. I've seen that twice in the last few years and both times was laughable only for how bad it was. Basically a few minutes of warmed over "OMG Bush is an idiot!!" blather that was on par with an average day on this board, followed by a panel of Err America regulars for a serious discussion about the evils of Bush and all things Republican.

Maybe he'll go back to humor now that Obama is in office, since obviously he can't criticize him.

Well, maybe his stand up is radically different than his TV show. I've seen that twice in the last few years and both times was laughable only for how bad it was. Basically a few minutes of warmed over "OMG Bush is an idiot!!" blather that was on par with an average day on this board, followed by a panel of Err America regulars for a serious discussion about the evils of Bush and all things Republican.

Maybe he'll go back to humor now that Obama is in office, since obviously he can't criticize him.

Funny, I thought it was YOU that was supposed to tell ME to keep my mouth shut about things I know nothing about. It's clear you've only watched the show twice.

Funny, I thought it was YOU that was supposed to tell ME to keep my mouth shut about things I know nothing about.

That's everyone's job. It's too much for one person to handle alone.

It's clear you've only watched the show twice.

Gee, what made it so obvious? The fact that I wrote that? :lol:

Regardless, are you suggesting that is not an accurate description of his show? Is it not basically a parade of Hollywood and Washington liberals with Ann Coulter thrown in every now and then for the gang to scream at? That must be where the 'humor' is supposed to be.

That's everyone's job. It's too much for one person to handle alone.

Gee, what made it so obvious? The fact that I wrote that? :lol:

Regardless, are you suggesting that is not an accurate description of his show? Is it not basically a parade of Hollywood and Washington liberals with Ann Coulter thrown in every now and then for the gang to scream at? That must be where the 'humor' is supposed to be.

In most basic terms, yes that's what the show is. However, at LEAST once every two weeks he brings in a conservative or a Republican, be it politician, author, commentator, whatever to be one of the three people on his panel.

I'm sorry, but there are a lot of people out there who staunchly believe that GWBush was an absolute failure. How Maher handles the Obama administration is yet to be seen, as he hasn't been on air since mid-Nov. New season begins late Feb.

In most basic terms, yes that's what the show is. However, at LEAST once every two weeks he brings in a conservative or a Republican, be it politician, author, commentator, whatever to be one of the three people on his panel.

It's difficult because by definition conservatives, with the exceptions of Dennis Miller and P.J. O'Rourke, lack a sense of humor. Just look at The 1/2 Hour News Hour, which was the Fox News attempt at creating a conservative Daily Show.

Rush and Coulter are the Democrat's best friends. Makes almost any Dem look mainstream and coherent. Please keep buying their books and praising their viewpoints.

If they remain the face of the Republican Party then they can forget about mid-term gains and pray they don't fall further behind.

Some criticized Obama for addressing Rush on the presumption that it gave him credibility and put him on par with the President. In fact, it elevates Rush as the Republican spokesman and tars any other GOP candidate or politician with his face and viewpoints -- which are deadly in a contested race. While Rush/Coulter play to the base they are not winning any additional converts. Some on the Right will welcome this cleansing and so will the Democratic Party.

Party on guys.