Is single malt that much better?

BuffaloBill

You are welcome.

And your resistance is fortunate. If refinement starts to encroach, you will find yourself battling about best chicken wings and how you are dirt if you are not sufficiently eclectic in your habits, and will have to purchase 12 dollar grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches unless you want to be lablled as dope; hang your head in irrecoverable shame if you don't shop at Wegmans' (need I mention Wegman Water?).

So far - you need not fry turkeys.

So far...

LOL ... in some ways this is why I started this topic.

I am one of the people who got caught up in you have to have brand X .. because it is so much better. Then Brand X special comes out and you have to fork over even more cash to keep up with the other Brand X special snobs. Don't get me wrong I can really appreciate something "special" if it really tastes better or there is an attractive feature to it. However, at the end of the day "better" is often simply perception and not reality.

"Better" is, of course, subjective in this case. When it comes to flavor, something isn't better if you don't like the taste of it, of if it doesn't suit your needs. If you're using heavy mixers the more expensive brands may not produce the "best" results for your taste. I still think it's a good idea to buy quality, when you can, especially in Vodkas, where the better brands are distilled, and filtered, many times, removing impurities that can enhance the bad after-effects, for some people. But, I don't understand buying Grey Goose to mix with orange juice, either. These days, I am so poor that I am stuck with ABC Vodka to mix with diet Ice Tea, unless a decent brand is on a very good sale. Such is my retched life, these days.

I'm not a scotch guy, at all, but I have enjoyed some single malts. Still, it isn't something I ever buy (or order) for myself. (Let's be clear about one thing. If I am at your house, and the only booze you have is scotch, I'll drink it!)

The best I have ever had, off the top of my head, are:

Salon Champagne: I bought a bottle 15, or so, years ago for under $100 and it was exquisite. I would definitely buy it again, for a similar price. Alas, it is hard to find for much less than $300/bottle now, and I won't pay that.

I had a stellar Amarone, a few years ago (can't remember the producer). It was about $75/bottle. I would buy it, again, if I could afford it...but, I really hate paying that kind of money for wine.

Bombay Sapphire is always a great treat, for me. God's gin is really hard to beat. When you can find it, 209 Gin (made in San Francisco) is also outstanding, and only about $30/bottle.

I have had, and LOVED, Remy Martin's Louis XIII cognac. Of course, I won't be buying any at over $1,500/a bottle. Still a good cognac remains one of my favorite drinking pleasures.

And, of all the various whiskeys in the world, George Dickel No. 12 Tennessee Whisky (90 proof) remains my favorite sipping whiskey, even with the explosion of newer, and more expensive, single barrel whiskeys now produced. In a pinch, Maker's Mark will do, just fine.

A discussion for another time might be, what are the best bargain brands (alcohol-related) that you can count on, when funds are low. I have found that, with a little care, you can get some very good quality for not a lot of money. (And, I'm not talking about Kessler or Seagram's 7 either, Cincy.)

I am a huge fan of Laphroig, and Aberlour is a nice balanced single malt. I received a bottle of Talisker 175 Anniversary for Xmas, which I am saving for a special occasion. I've never tried Talisker before. Pretty psyched to crack it soon!

...to purchase 12 dollar grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches unless you want to be lablled as dope...

That's really funny. Actually, I find the subject of connoisseurship really interesting. It seems like for everything a person can enjoy, there is always the elusive idea of a better version of it, whether it's scotch, wine, cuisine, audio equipment, cars, grilled cheese sandwiches, breast enhancement, etc... And of course, everybody will have his own point of diminishing returns (for me, for grilled cheese sandwiches, it's around $2.50).

Sometimes I think about how much better some really expensive speakers would sound. Other times I think about how good a Pabst Blue Ribbon can taste after helping a friend move all day. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm not a scotch guy, at all, but I have enjoyed some single malts. Still, it isn't something I ever buy (or order) for myself. (Let's be clear about one thing. If I am at your house, and the only booze you have is scotch, I'll drink it!)

LOL .. in the unlikely event that you ever find yourself at my humble abode you are welcome to the scotch or the Bombay gin (my wife likes it so there is usually a bottle around). I'd prefer that you have the gin though if I could be a bad host and force your hand. I appreciate a good scotch but simply hate gin. ... :lol:

A discussion for another time might be, what are the best bargain brands (alcohol-related) that you can count on, when funds are low. I have found that, with a little care, you can get some very good quality for not a lot of money. (And, I'm not talking about Kessler or Seagram's 7 either, Cincy.)

I honestly don't know...Kesslers, Strohs' etc. did the job - got me whacked. Why consume alcohol at all unless your aim is to get - eventually- into an alcohol induced fog? There is no taste of any alcoholic product that compares with even the most mundane of fast food cheeseburgers. IMO.

I currently have 5 fifths of hard liquor (or quarts) stocked up. I haven't had a drink of liquor for at least 10 years.

Don't get caught short. When the bottom falls out, best to have the means for the last hurrah.

On that point, we surely agree. :lol:

Allow me to proffer these thoughts on the topic at hand -

In wine there is wisdom,

In beer there is freedom,

In water there is bacteria.

In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 liter of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia Coli (E. Coli) - bacteria found in feces.

In other words, by drinking water, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop.

However, we do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer (or tequila, rum, whisky or other liquor), because alcohol has to go through a purification process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.

So remember...

Water = Poop,

Wine = Health .

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of schitt.

Surely, mead would agree.

(There is no need to thank me for this valuable information - I merely provide it as a public service.)

Cheers :lol:

So remember...

Water = Poop,

Wine = Health .

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of schitt.

(There is no need to thank me for this valuable information - I merely provide it as a public service.)

Cheers :lol:

best laugh I have had all day ... I owe you a drink should our paths ever cross ... and a healthy one at that :D

some blended scotch is better than some single malts (which can be crappy just like anything) - but they tend to be comparably priced. My favorite scotch is Laphroiag, but its pricey (50+). Famous Grouse or Black Label are both excellent blends for very reasonable prices (low to mid 20s).

In wine there is wisdom,

In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 liter of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia Coli (E. Coli) - bacteria found in feces.

In other words, by drinking water, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop.

However, we do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer (or tequila, rum, whisky or other liquor), because alcohol has to go through a purification process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.

So remember...

Water = Poop,

Wine = Health .

Cheers :D

:lol::D

In wine there is wisdom,

Outstanding, Sen. As you know, I try to avoid straight water because, "fish piss in it" (and poop, too). Adding a healthy dose of George Dickel effectively kills sanitizes the water of fish piss (and poop).

Unlike Cincy, I drink adult beverages, primarily because I enjoy their flavor. In fact, the vast majority of instances where I imbibe, I have no intention of getting whacked. Although, a slight calming of the nerves is a pleasant side effect of a couple of glasses of wine, or cocktails.

Some people operate under the "means to an end" philosophy when it comes to consumption. For example, "food is fuel", is a sentiment I hear some use. That is similar to the idea that we drink alcohol strictly as a means to get faced. I'm one of the people who enjoys the process, at least as much as the outcome.

On the cheap I like Evan Williams Bourbon and Segura Viudas Cava.

And on a budget I would love a pot still and make my own booze. I have studied that and know I could make could booze. Damn ATF!

Evan Williams is very good, if you are drinking on the cheap. I house/pet sat last weekend, and picked up a bottle of Evan Williams, to help past the time. I also recommend Ezra Brooks (which remains 90 proof), and almost tastes like a Tennessee Whiskey.

Evan Williams is very good, if you are drinking on the cheap. I house/pet sat last weekend, and picked up a bottle of Evan Williams, to help past the time. I also recommend Ezra Brooks (which remains 90 proof), and almost tastes like a Tennessee Whiskey.

check out that Cava. $8.99 a bottle and I put it on par with Cliquot. I have brought that to a few parties and everyone loves it. I am going to start buying it by the case!

check out that Cava. $8.99 a bottle and I put it on par with Cliquot. I have brought that to a few parties and everyone loves it. I am going to start buying it by the case!

I've had it, Pete. I thought it was just OK, and fine for mimosas. It really wasn't my cup-o-tea, though. Cava's rarely impress me.

I've had it, Pete. I thought it was just OK, and fine for mimosas. It really wasn't my cup-o-tea, though. Cava's rarely impress me.

Actually, I just Googled it to double check, and if you mean the "Aria" label, I have NOT tried that one. I have tried other Segura Viudas cava's though.

Outstanding, Sen. As you know, I try to avoid straight water because, "fish piss in it" (and poop, too). Adding a healthy dose of George Dickel effectively kills sanitizes the water of fish piss (and poop).

Unlike Cincy, I drink adult beverages, primarily because I enjoy their flavor. In fact, the vast majority of instances where I imbibe, I have no intention of getting whacked. Although, a slight calming of the nerves is a pleasant side effect of a couple of glasses of wine, or cocktails.

Some people operate under the "means to an end" philosophy when it comes to consumption. For example, "food is fuel", is a sentiment I hear some use. That is similar to the idea that we drink alcohol strictly as a means to get faced. I'm one of the people who enjoys the process, at least as much as the outcome.

A slight calming, indeed. :lol:

“It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.” - George Burns