Is single malt that much better?

BuffaloBill

Recently on a whim I ordered 100 year old Grand Marnier while at a restaurant. It was better than the "normal stuff." Very smooth and a little mellow as compared to the everyday stuff. However, in my opinion not worth the significant price differential. I would also argue the same for a number of single malt Scotch's I have tried over the years.

This leads to two questions:

1) What is the finest beverage you have ever had?

2) Was it really worth the price you paid?

To answer my own questions - 1) I would have to say that a sake I was once served while at a dinner party was most excellent - problem is that Sake is often made in small batches and no two are alike so I am not likely to ever find it again - worse yet I do not know the brand 2) If I could find it again I would pay for it - very good stuff

Sorry to be non specific in my responses but it is the truth.

If you are mixing it? No, drink the blends. But if you want to really taste a great Scotch, you must drink single malt. Like wine, there is an almost infinite range of styles and ages to choose from. For your standard 12 or 18 yo, my favorites are Lagavulin, Macallan and Glenmorangie. A good bottle of Scotch generally costs anywhere from $45 to $70. Obviously you can spend a lot more for an exceptional bottle.

If you are mixing it? No, drink the blends. But if you want to really taste a great Scotch, you must drink single malt. Like wine, there is an almost infinite range of styles and ages to choose from. For your standard 12 or 18 yo, my favorites are Lagavulin, Macallan and Glenmorangie. A good bottle of Scotch generally costs anywhere from $45 to $70. Obviously you can spend a lot more for an exceptional bottle.

Mix scotch? I have never committed this sin.

Anyway, point I was trying to get to in the post is how much of "better" is perception vs. reality and is "better" worth the price you pay. At the end of the day I believe it is a personal decision.

Single malt is much better than even a good blended scotch. Try a Balvenie Doublewood or Dalwhinnie with a splash of water (not tap) and you will appreciate the difference.

As far as mixing scotch, I'll make a Rusty Nail once in a while. 2 parts blended scotch (Famous Grouse is my favorite) to 1 part Drambuie. mmmmmm

Single malt is definately the way to go. In addition, to the LaGavulin mentioned (my fav) and Balvenie Doublewood, also try LaPhroiag or Bushmills 16 year...both excellent.

As far as blends, the only blends that can really compare (in quality and complexity) to a single malt that I have had would be JW Green/Blue or Dewars 12 yr., as far as likely to be readily available.

Single malt is definately the way to go. In addition, to the LaGavulin mentioned (my fav) and Balvenie Doublewood, also try LaPhroiag or Bushmills 16 year...both excellent.

As far as blends, the only blends that can really compare (in quality and complexity) to a single malt that I have had would be JW Green/Blue or Dewars 12 yr., as far as likely to be readily available.

ChaChing! The cheapest (relative term) I've seen Blue is at the Navy Exchange Package Store for $130.00.

Single Malt is much better! And I am a big fan of Grand Marnier. The 100 year old is fantastic and the 150 year old is my favorite. It is made with XO cognac and your eyes will tear when you take a sip from a snifter. I love that stuff!

I like whiskey that kicks a little.

I've tried some of the fancy top shelf scotches. My dad really loves the JW Blue. They just don't do it for me. I guess I just don't have very sophisticated taste buds. Scotch, even the really good stuff, just always tastes kind of "wormy" to me.

I like Jameson's, Jim Beam, Dickel, Wild Turkey, Maker's Mark. Stuff like that.

I kind of feel the same way about vodka. I like Smirnoff and Stoli. Kettle One is about the most expensive one I like. I do not like Absolut at all. When you get into the fancy expensive brands, they taste too clean to me, i.e., not really like vodka anymore.

I love sake too! That stuff gets me in trouble though. If I drink 2 large sakes I am feeling good and up to something

The Japanese tend to be pretty serious drinkers - I really miss the opportunity to enjoy sake and Onsen afterwards. It has been a long time since I have been over there.

I'm looking to hit a new Sushi & Robata joint near my house ... need my wife to do girls night out because she is not a big fan of Japanese food. I have to hook up with other friends when I eat Japanese.

I like whiskey that kicks a little.

I've tried some of the fancy top shelf scotches. My dad really loves the JW Blue. They just don't do it for me. I guess I just don't have very sophisticated taste buds. Scotch, even the really good stuff, just always tastes kind of "wormy" to me.

I like Jameson's, Jim Beam, Dickel, Wild Turkey, Maker's Mark. Stuff like that.

I kind of feel the same way about vodka. I like Smirnoff and Stoli. Kettle One is about the most expensive one I like. I do not like Absolut at all. When you get into the fancy expensive brands, they taste too clean to me, i.e., not really like vodka anymore.

All you say is true. Some people rate whiskey in terms of how much diesel taste there is, how much it tastes like burnt wood and other earthy descriptives. I like such people.

They are honest whiskey drinkers, no pretensions and plainly enjoy the drinking of it for the GAAAA! as it burns down the throat and starts to cloud the mind. :D

I like your selections. I'd add Kessler's. The best feature of any whiskey is to let one become :lol:

All you say is true. Some people rate whiskey in terms of how much diesel taste there is, how much it tastes like burnt wood and other earthy descriptives. I like such people.

They are honest whiskey drinkers, no pretensions and plainly enjoy the drinking of it for the GAAAA! as it burns down the throat and starts to cloud the mind. :D

I like your selections. I'd add Kessler's. The best feature of any whiskey is to let one become :lol:

Thank you for validating my lack of refinement. I'm gonna check me out some Kessler's.

Isn't vodka supposed to be tasteless and have no odor? I always found that odd.

Yes exactly - I happen to be a big vodka martini fan (w Blue cheese stuffed olives!!!). Actually blind taste tests have shown that premium Vodka brands like Grey Goose are no better than the mid level brands. I've actually switched away from the premium stuff because by the time you plunk the olives in it and wave the vermouth bottle past the shaker (my preference is that none is dispensed) the high end brands taste no better to me.

Thank you for validating my lack of refinement. I'm gonna check me out some Kessler's.

You are welcome.

And your resistance is fortunate. If refinement starts to encroach, you will find yourself battling about best chicken wings and how you are dirt if you are not sufficiently eclectic in your habits, and will have to purchase 12 dollar grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches unless you want to be lablled as dope; hang your head in irrecoverable shame if you don't shop at Wegmans' (need I mention Wegman Water?).

So far - you need not fry turkeys.

So far...