Anyone here have their Gall Bladder removed?

NavyBillsFan

Went for a run and I was not feeling well. I got into work and passed out.

Spent 4 days in the hospital and they said Im loaded with Gall stones and its got everything inflamed. Have to have it removed next week. Ive always had a acid problem and take prevacid but this hurts like hell.

How long is the recovery and is there anything special about your diet you have to change?

A friend of mine was in vacation in Chicago. First day, she started to feel REALLY sick. Took her to the ER and they determined that her gall bladder was "necrotic" - dying and killing her. She had it removed, but was in the hospital all week. She's fine now, but said it hurt like hell.

One of my coworkers had his removed as well, before I started working here, and he was in the hospital for a few days and out of work for a couple of weeks I think.

Sorry to hear that -- but apparently it's not that important of an organ.

We had an intern one summer and we took her to a Chinese restaurant on her last day. We had just sat down and she ran to the bathroom- gall bladder. She had it out the next day. When she started working with us after the fall semester, she had lost about 30 pounds. She said it part of it was the lower fat diet she said she had to eat. She's has kept the weight off and is now a doctor.

Wikipedia says that bile (which is stored in the gall bladder) emulsifies fats and neutralizes stomach acids in food in the duodenum (the tube between the stomach and intestine). It says that bile is continuously released into the duodenum instead of being stored in the gall bladder (its made in the liver) for release during a high fat meal. A high fat meal gets to the intestine and the un-emulsified fat content causes bloating and diarrhea because water is released into the intestines and the bacteria produce gas after digesting the fat that wasn't absorbed. Some patients get diarrhea for a few weeks.

To reduce the bloating and diarrhea a lower fat diet is suggested.

We had an intern one summer and we took her to a Chinese restaurant on her last day. We had just sat down and she ran to the bathroom- gall bladder. She had it out the next day. When she started working with us after the fall semester, she had lost about 30 pounds. She said it part of it was the lower fat diet she said she had to eat. She's has kept the weight off and is now a doctor.

Wikipedia says that bile (which is stored in the gall bladder) emulsifies fats and neutralizes stomach acids in food in the duodenum (the tube between the stomach and intestine). It says that bile is continuously released into the duodenum instead of being stored in the gall bladder (its made in the liver) for release during a high fat meal. A high fat meal gets to the intestine and the un-emulsified fat content causes bloating and diarrhea because water is released into the intestines and the bacteria produce gas after digesting the fat that wasn't absorbed. Some patients get diarrhea for a few weeks.

To reduce the bloating and diarrhea a lower fat diet is suggested.

Thanks for the info.

The only experience I've had with gall stones is when my grandfather had his removed and they put them in a jar for him to take home. They were really cool to look at. They were a lot bigger than you'd believe. See if the doc will let you take yours home. They're great conversation pieces! :blink:

Here's more info.

Don't look if you're someone who doesn't want to see these things.

This is a gallbladder that has been removed from a patient. Kinda looks like a cornucopia.

Here's a picture of a couple of stones.

An inflamed gallbladder. Kinda looks like a bullfrog.

This one's gross! :blink:

A gallbladder full of stones. :D This one looks like a cornucopia too.

I have to say NBF I didn't think you had enough gall to get that removed! BA DUM BUM Ptsch!!

If they do the laproscope,you'll probably only have a few small scars. My mother (80 at the time) had her appendix out and she cant even see the two small incisions they made. The main one is through your bellybutton.