R.I.P. Billy Powell

WWVaBeach

I saw them at the Aud in 1976. The best thing I saw was someone in the front row tried to grab Ronnie Van Zant's hat and Ronnie smashed the guy in the face with the base of the mic stand, singing the whole time and never lost a beat. Good ole kick ass southern rock

RIP Billy.

I saw them at the Aud in 1976. The best thing I saw was someone in the front row tried to grab Ronnie Van Zant's hat and Ronnie smashed the guy in the face with the base of the mic stand, singing the whole time and never lost a beat. Good ole kick ass southern rock

RIP Billy.

Help me here Chef. Did they not play Kleinhans, also? Very foggy, but I remember a balcony I was on shaking like a Mother!@#$er, thinking that the sonofabitch was gonna fall.

Help me here Chef. Did they not play Kleinhans, also? Very foggy, but I remember a balcony I was on shaking like a Mother!@#$er, thinking that the sonofabitch was gonna fall.

I'm not sure but that's exactly what I experienced seeing Charlie Daniels at Sheas around the same time. I thought the thing was going to collapse. Were you the punk next to me that puked on my shoes?

I'm not sure but that's exactly what I experienced seeing Charlie Daniels at Sheas around the same time. I thought the thing was going to collapse. Were you the punk next to me that puked on my shoes?

Sheas! That was it, and no !@#$lip I was the one tripin my brains out. ROCK ON MOFO!

I was there too. RIP dude.

I can remember (barely) the other bands. I also recall (I think) people literally rolling in kegs of beer on dollies and passing around gallon jugs of hard cider. God, remember that stuff? Just dump in a packet of kool aid and drink it straight outta the jug. It's a wonder we have lived this long. But it sure was fun! :blink:

I also remember seeing 38 Special in 80 after I joined the Navy and being shocked by how mych Ronnies brother Donnie looked so much like him.

I was there too. I think tickets were only 10-12$ and they were selling these cool tuxedo jackets with Lynyrd Skynyrd monogrammed on the back. IIRC the line up was Starz, Ted Nugent, Skynyrd and Blue Oyster Cult.

In 1974 Skynyrd opened up for the James Gang and ELP was the headliner. Windowpane $2 a hit.

I can remember (barely) the other bands. I also recall (I think) people literally rolling in kegs of beer on dollies and passing around gallon jugs of hard cider. God, remember that stuff? Just dump in a packet of kool aid and drink it straight outta the jug. It's a wonder we have lived this long. But it sure was fun! :blink:

I also remember seeing 38 Special in 80 after I joined the Navy and being shocked by how mych Ronnies brother Donnie looked so much like him.

Thats the key word!! :D

Great times!!

Who is left? gary rossington

Currently, Gary Rossington is the only original member still left in the band. Although Johnny Van Zant has been in the group longer than Ronnie ever was.

Still alive from the original line-up:

Bob Burns

Ed King