Cornerbacks

1 Malcolm Jenkins Ohio State

2 *Vontae Davis Illinois

3 Alphonso Smith Wake Forest

4 *D.J. Moore Vanderbilt

5 *Sean Smith Utah

I trust this guys opinion far more then any other scout service out there

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Mayock knows his stuff, if those guys ain't on there then he doesn't buy the hype on them.

well then hes like the only one in the sports business that doesnt...but any way you put it, Buffalo should get a good C in this draft with C being so stacked this draft

Let's not confuse Mayock's ability to correctly call which team drafts which player at a certain draft position with his ability to correctly evaluate a player's talent.

Like anybody else, Mayock is going to miss on guys from time to time. But he routinely has the best eye for who can play in the pros and who cannot.

I remember him being all over guys like Jay Cutler and Joe Flacco months before anybody else had even heard the names, while accurately cautioning that guys like Matt Leinart and Vince Young lacked the tools to play the pro game.

One evaluation that really sticks out to me, and is a great example of his prowess for identifying NFL talent, is Patriots LG Logan Mankins in 2005. There wasn't one other NFL publication (that I saw, anyway) that had Mankins rated as a top 70 prospect. Mayock had him as his #1 guard and the 30th best player overall. As you all know, he was drafted 32nd overall and has been a stalwart on New England's line ever since. Stuff like this really sets him apart from the rest of the field, in my opinion.

Just off the top of my head, here's some other examples of guys that Mayock liked that nobody else seemed to identify:

Luis Castillo

Nick Collins

Chris Spencer

Chris Chester

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (before the Senior Bowl, when everyone else caught on)

Duane Brown

Jason Jones

It's the ability to identify these off-the-grid kind of players that really separates him as one of the best, in my opinion.

Like anybody else, Mayock is going to miss on guys from time to time. But he routinely has the best eye for who can play in the pros and who cannot.

I remember him being all over guys like Jay Cutler and Joe Flacco months before anybody else had even heard the names, while accurately cautioning that guys like Matt Leinart and Vince Young lacked the tools to play the pro game.

One evaluation that really sticks out to me, and is a great example of his prowess for identifying NFL talent, is Patriots LG Logan Mankins in 2005. There wasn't one other NFL publication (that I saw, anyway) that had Mankins rated as a top 70 prospect. Mayock had him as his #1 guard and the 30th best player overall. As you all know, he was drafted 32nd overall and has been a stalwart on New England's line ever since. Stuff like this really sets him apart from the rest of the field, in my opinion.

Just off the top of my head, here's some other examples of guys that Mayock liked that nobody else seemed to identify:

Luis Castillo

Nick Collins

Chris Spencer

Chris Chester

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (before the Senior Bowl, when everyone else caught on)

Duane Brown

Jason Jones

It's the ability to identify these off-the-grid kind of players that really separates him as one of the best, in my opinion.

I totally agree.

I'm surprised at Erik Wood as the number one center. It looks like there might very well be three very good centers in this draft. Kind of makes the second round a little more interesting.

Quinn Johnson the blocking (and running from the Senior bowl performance) fullback looked good. If he is around after the second round he might be worth a look. Actually our line needs are so great and the talent in three and four should be good enough that we should probably be concentrating on the o-line and d-line. In any event I think this guy Johnson is impressive, even if he doesn't fit into our immediate and critical need list.