Should the U.S. Gov't fund basic scientific reasearch?

BuffaloBill

EVERYTHING is too important not to be funded, to somebody.

The government isn't paying for anything, we are. So if it's important, why don't we fund it voluntarily and directly?

Because then the only research that would be done would be ones that could lead to a marketable product. It would severely hamper our progress.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, even better. Put the preternaturally vain and stupid American public in direct support of scientific research. Because I want vaccine development funded by the same people who buy the "Sham-Wow" because it's "Made in Germany...you know the Germans make good stuff..."

The Germans make good stuff? Must be a PPP axiom. I was never all that impressed with the sham wow.

The feds plow through thousands and thousands of requests for scientific grants every year. A fair portion are from lunatics.

And there is no shortage of Congressmen who have earmarks, make direct Congressional appropriations to fund this or that useless project, projects that are asking (and getting) money for things already well-established.

Not just the hard sciences. Some of the ones I see in the papers are lulus. Things like "Research show obese people tend to eat more food", or "Students in high school who are discipline problems do worse in academics".

The feds plow through thousands and thousands of requests for scientific grants every year. A fair portion are from lunatics.

And there is no shortage of Congressmen who have earmarks, make direct Congressional appropriations to fund this or that useless project, projects that are asking (and getting) money for things already well-established.

Not just the hard sciences. Some of the ones I see in the papers are lulus. Things like "Research show obese people tend to eat more food", or "Students in high school who are discipline problems do worse in academics".

Do you believe everything you read in an email?

Do you believe everything you read in an email?

I wish i could say he's exaggerating but he's not. I've mentioned this before, but i have a peer-reviewed, published paper from 3-4 years ago in a decent journal that is titled, "Oxygen and nutrient depravation of cells in culture leads to cell death." Yes, this group of dipshits actually published a paper stating that if you starve cells of nutrients and oxygen while growing them, they die. :blink:

How about some links to back this crap up? Or are you just going by what you heard? What were/are the scope of the studies and how is/was the data accumulated? What is/was the purpose for collecting this data set? Are these clinical surveys of patients? How much money were the grants for?

You and others trot this nonsense out there without even looking into any details of what the grants are really for, who they are for, and what the results will be used for. The two studies you suggest are ripping off the taxpayers could actually be very relevent (if they weren't made up to prove your non-point) depending on what, whom and where they were actually measuring to draw those conclusions.

I wish i could say he's exaggerating but he's not. I've mentioned this before, but i have a peer-reviewed, published paper from 3-4 years ago in a decent journal that is titled, "Oxygen and nutrient depravation of cells in culture leads to cell death." Yes, this group of dipshits actually published a paper stating that if you starve cells of nutrients and oxygen while growing them, they die. :blink:

When I worked at a university, I was told to write a Safety Plan for a funded study to determine the volatility of lead when subjected to elevated temperatures. Before I wrote the plan, I met with the bunch that got the grant, armed with a data table from a Beilstein/Gmelin reference text from the 1930's IIRC.

Didn't work. They had the $$$, were determined to re-invent an old wheel, and I wrote the plan.

This is just one example...

Edited by stuckincincy

How about some links to back this crap up? Or are you just going by what you heard? What were/are the scope of the studies and how is/was the data accumulated? What is/was the purpose for collecting this data set? Are these clinical surveys of patients? How much money were the grants for?

You and others trot this nonsense out there without even looking into any details of what the grants are really for, who they are for, and what the results will be used for. The two studies you suggest are ripping off the taxpayers could actually be very relevent (if they weren't made up to prove your non-point) depending on what, whom and where they were actually measuring to draw those conclusions.

Gee...I seem to have struck the gravy train nerve... :lol:

And I'm not about to hunt down and provide links to what anyone with an ounce of brains, who reads their newspapers, hasn't shaken their heads at for years...

And I'm not about to hunt down and provide links to what anyone with an ounce of brains, who reads their newspapers, hasn't shaken their heads at for years...

Par for the course for your lot. Make an accusation using "facts" that you made up. But anyone with an ounce of brains should just take your word for it, right?

How exactly is someone asking you to prove what you spew, "riding the gravy train?" If you're going to make sh-- up, at least be able to back up your point.

How exactly is someone asking you to prove what you spew, "riding the gravy train?" If you're going to make sh-- up, at least be able to back up your point.

Gee. On one hand you agree with me, and say I'm not making things up, then on the other hand you get co-opted by one of my stalker's posts and now say I am, and have to back up my point.

God help us if you get a job that actually matters, after your years and years of dining at the taxpayer's table...

What damage do you hold in store for us? :lol:

No...but I have personally been involved in gov't science grants for 5 years at one job, and my wife for about 30 years.

What are your "creds"? :D

Wait just one minute cincy...I understand that you have been in voled i gov't science grants for five years but the second part throws...have you been involved with your wife for 30 years? (if so my condolences to the poor woman) or has your wife been involved with Gov't science grants for 30 years. (A thirty year study of the effect of a disgruntled Bills fan spouse?)? :lol:

Wait just one minute cincy...I understand that you have been in voled i gov't science grants for five years but the second part throws...have you been involved with your wife for 30 years? (if so my condolences to the poor woman) or has your wife been involved with Gov't science grants for 30 years. (A thirty year study of the effect of a disgruntled Bills fan spouse?)? :lol:

Well...that's a civil service worker for you, eh? :D

Buzz off and clear off the ice or whatever you may have dumped on your property these past few days...

:D

Gee. On one hand you agree with me, and say I'm not making things up, then on the other hand you get co-opted by one of my stalker's posts and now say I am, and have to back up my point.

God help us if you get a job that actually matters, after your years and years of dining at the taxpayer's table...

What damage do you hold in store for us? :lol:

I agree with you that some science funding is wasted money for research that is going nowhere. But, the very least you could do is back up some of the claims you made, because not all money is wasted and it is highly necessary. And just because some is wasted doesn't mean all is wasted. I'm agreeing with you that lots of stupid stuff gets funded that probably shouldn't be. But i'm disagreeing that funding needs to be cut because some gets wasted.

I called you out because instead of backing up your claims, you resorted to insulting Coli and making accusations. When someone questions your claims, it shouldn't be too difficult to back them up.

I agree with you that some science funding is wasted money for research that is going nowhere. But, the very least you could do is back up some of the claims you made, because not all money is wasted and it is highly necessary. And just because some is wasted doesn't mean all is wasted. I'm agreeing with you that lots of stupid stuff gets funded that probably shouldn't be. But i'm disagreeing that funding needs to be cut because some gets wasted.

I called you out because instead of backing up your claims, you resorted to insulting Coli and making accusations. When someone questions your claims, it shouldn't be too difficult to back them up.

:lol:

One of the saddest victims of today's society is...Getting The General Idea.

Got it? Good. :D

No...but I have personally been involved in gov't science grants for 5 years at one job, and my wife for about 30 years.

What are your "creds"? :lol:

Just because you work in a career that is involved with government Science grants doesn't mean you didn't just pull those two "studies," out of your ass and put quotation marks around them.