Studies By The Newly Founded Center for the Study of Traumatic Encepha

Steely Dan

Linkage

Until recently, the best medical definition for concussion was a jarring blow to the head that temporarily stunned the senses, occasionally leading to unconsciousness. It has been considered an invisible injury, impossible to test -- no MRI, no CT scan can detect it.

But today, using tissue from retired NFL athletes culled posthumously, the Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy (CSTE), at the Boston University School of Medicine, is shedding light on what concussions look like in the brain. The findings are stunning. Far from innocuous, invisible injuries, concussions confer tremendous brain damage. That damage has a name: chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).

CTE has thus far been found in the brains of five out of five former NFL players. On Tuesday afternoon, researchers at the CSTE will release study results from the sixth NFL player exhibiting the same kind of damage.

CNN American Morning

Watch more on concussions and the brain Wednesday

6 a.m. - 9 a.m.

CNN American Morning »

"What's been surprising is that it's so extensive," said Dr. Ann McKee, a neuropathologist at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Bedford, Massachusetts, and co-director of the CSTE. "It's throughout the brain, not just on the superficial aspects of the brain, but it's deep inside."

That article makes me think about TE's concussion during the Cardinal game last season.

"What's been surprising is that it's so extensive," said Dr. Ann McKee, a neuropathologist at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Bedford, Massachusetts, and co-director of the CSTE. "It's throughout the brain, not just on the superficial aspects of the brain, but it's deep inside."[/i]

Pretty scary stuff. The other unfortunate reality is for the many guys that are potentially harmed in this way they may not have had much of a payday at the NFL level (maybe not at all). I look back to my first boss - he played Div I guard center his knees were an absolute mess. He was in constant pain. He never saw a dollar from football but suffered the effects from playing it.

Logic would say that the human body was not designed for repeated collisions like many players experience.

Pretty scary stuff. The other unfortunate reality is for the many guys that are potentially harmed in this way they may not have had much of a payday at the NFL level (maybe not at all). I look back to my first boss - he played Div I guard center his knees were an absolute mess. He was in constant pain. He never saw a dollar from football but suffered the effects from playing it.

Logic would say that the human body was not designed for repeated collisions like many players experience.

They need to put a lot more money into research for the helmets.

They need to put a lot more money into research for the helmets.

They are probably going to chase this issue perpetually though because players continue to get bigger and faster so simple physics says that collisions will be more violent as time goes forward.

Linkage

Until recently, the best medical definition for concussion was a jarring blow to the head that temporarily stunned the senses, occasionally leading to unconsciousness. It has been considered an invisible injury, impossible to test -- no MRI, no CT scan can detect it.

But today, using tissue from retired NFL athletes culled posthumously, the Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy (CSTE), at the Boston University School of Medicine, is shedding light on what concussions look like in the brain. The findings are stunning. Far from innocuous, invisible injuries, concussions confer tremendous brain damage. That damage has a name: chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).

CTE has thus far been found in the brains of five out of five former NFL players. On Tuesday afternoon, researchers at the CSTE will release study results from the sixth NFL player exhibiting the same kind of damage.

CNN American Morning

Watch more on concussions and the brain Wednesday

6 a.m. - 9 a.m.

CNN American Morning »

"What's been surprising is that it's so extensive," said Dr. Ann McKee, a neuropathologist at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Bedford, Massachusetts, and co-director of the CSTE. "It's throughout the brain, not just on the superficial aspects of the brain, but it's deep inside."

That article makes me think about TE's concussion during the Cardinal game last season.

They ought to study us. I swear, I have chronic traumatic encephalopathy just from reading some of the posts on this board.

They are probably going to chase this issue perpetually though because players continue to get bigger and faster so simple physics says that collisions will be more violent as time goes forward.

Very troubling you have to ask yourself, "Do I really want my children and grand children to play this game?"