Unemployment is getting worse

You might want to rethink that. Inflation is largely the result of consumers having lots of extra devalued money. That's not what TARP did though--the money didn't get to consumers. Importantly, that money went to the banks to help balance their books (the banks were probably insolvent and needed the cash). The cash the banks got went to offset paper losses and thus the "printed" cash really didn't affect inflation because it never got to the consumers. That printed cash merely saved/is saving the banks. And that was important.

For TARP II or whatever the stimulus will be called, more money is meant to get to the marketplace and thus we'll likely get some inflation. But again, a lot of that money will go to bailout companies and banks and won't affect inflation as much as the Chicken Littles of the world think and hope.

I heard this explanation from the CIO of Vanguard. He was talking about M1 and M2 money supplies and the like. I loaded his explanation into my RAM memory and understood it completely then...now my Hard Drive memory is more limited and the above is all I got. GG or TPS might be able to add more detail but the crux of his assertion is that we're not going to see inflation until the money being added into the supply starts making it into the marketplace--past the banks (M1) and credit card cos (M2).

You right...for now. What happens when China sours on purchasing our debt? We'll have to raise interest rates to make it appealing and that is when we'll see inflation begin. And when it begins there is a very high probability that it could get quickly out of control. Nothing 'chicken little' about it as it is a very real and probable outcome in the not too distant future.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boeing - 10,000. Sbux - 6,700.

It's at the point to where I see anything less than tens of thousands and think "oh that's not bad". Of course it SUCKS if you're one of the people losing their job.

Sbux though - they were just stupid. Recession or no I think this was coming anyway.

Boeing - 10,000. Sbux - 6,700.

It's at the point to where I see anything less than tens of thousands and think "oh that's not bad". Of course it SUCKS if you're one of the people losing their job.

Sbux though - they were just stupid. Recession or no I think this was coming anyway.

Starbucks could cut 7000 positions just by closing all the stores that are across the street from other Starbucks stores.

Starbucks could cut 7000 positions just by closing all the stores that are across the street from other Starbucks stores.

No kidding. At a lcoal plaza where I live there is a starbucks right next to a grocery store. Apparently the grocery store has a relationship w/ Starbucks because about two years ago they remodeled the store and added a Starbucks kiosk- no more than 30 steps from the Starbucks store. And I'm not just talking about buying beans either. Its a full service stand. Yea, that makes a lot of sense.

No sh--. That's what I meant. I live 1/2 mile from an SBux which is next door to a grocery that ALSO has an SBux.

And this is SEATTLE so there are 4 more competitors within 1/4 mile, alone...still there are too many SBux.

"Oversaturation" anyone?

But it's everywhere, when I lived in Dallas they were building strip malls etc like there was no tomorrow. I could never figure out why there had to be two Albertson's stores 2 miles apart...? Now, many of those stores and malls are closed because there were too darned many of them.

You right...for now. What happens when China sours on purchasing our debt? We'll have to raise interest rates to make it appealing and that is when we'll see inflation begin. And when it begins there is a very high probability that it could get quickly out of control. Nothing 'chicken little' about it as it is a very real and probable outcome in the not too distant future.

Our notes continue to look a lot more attractive than any other country I can think of.

Our notes continue to look a lot more attractive than any other country I can think of.

For how long?

If we continue to print money as fast as the presses can get it out (I know not all of it is printed, so please save the lecture), it will cost us much more to finance.

Couple that with China having its own domestic issues and they will be forced to dedicate more and more of their resources toward keeping their population happy and their power base intact and less investing in other countries.

http://www.economist.com/world/asia/displa...ory_id=12987564

Lets be concerned about the federal debt and not give money away to scoflaws.... oh, we already did to the banks and that didn't really help and they are refusing to reveal how they used the money. Can you say Madoff et al.. a growing list.

Cali just hit 9.3%, this can't be good... What, this is 9.3% of what 32 million almost 3 million people and those are the ones you can count. I would be interested in know your state's unemployment numbers.

http://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/stor...19/daily40.html

Also Catepiller and Home Depot just announced large layoffs. Financial firms on Wall Street are laying folks off in droves, expect more in the next 6 months.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2009...nterstitialskip

What to do... this is flat out scary.

Still blaming the republicans eh douche? The lib/dems are the problem. They control everything in govt. and you still want to blame republicans...amazing! Open fly..remove head from ass. :thumbsup: