Very Cool Pictures Of The Retrieval Of US Airways A320

Steely Dan

I saw these recently too.

Just returned from Houston. After that miracle belly-flop in the Hudson, all I could think of in the air was 'just get to the Mississippi...' I've got that seat belt thing down pat, but I paid much more attention to the attendants' floatation device rhetoric..

Looks like the hatch for the luggage compartment came open at some point. That means prolly some people lost their luggage and the rest are probably water-damaged beyond use... boy I bet those passengers are going to be mad. :thumbsup:

I read somewhere that the airlines is giving them all $5K for their baggage.

I read somewhere that the airlines is giving them all $5K for their baggage.

Oooo, I could buy some real nice golf clubs with that kind of jack!

Still wouldn't lower my scores though. :thumbsup:

Interesting pics by the way Steely, thanks for posting!

Oooo, I could buy some real nice golf clubs with that kind of jack!

Still wouldn't lower my scores though. :thumbsup:

LOL .. after all these years I finally learn from you that its not the clubs that matter ... here I thought I might get to go to Q school if I found the right set.

I wonder how repairable that plane is. If its water saturated is it basically a write off? I'm guessing they just gut it. Left with the frame, skin and basic structure and start from scratch. Just wondering.

I wonder how repairable that plane is. If its water saturated is it basically a write off? I'm guessing they just gut it. Left with the frame, skin and basic structure and start from scratch. Just wondering.

It's done. There's no way FAA will let that thing go back into the air. I'm skeptical that they will even allow it be salvaged for parts. If they can they may use it as a test plane. JMO

It's repairable. In 2002 Boeing ditched a Boeing Stratocruiser in Elliott Bay (Seattle). It ran out of gas! It sat in the salt water for a couple of days but was recovered onto a barge and taken to a hangar. They flushed it out with fresh water for about a week, gutted the interior, and replaced everything. That plane was built in 1938 and is now on display at the Smithsonian Annex at Dulles Airport. They even let the bozo who ran it out of gas in the first place, fly it from Seattle to Dulles.

If it does get repaired, it will be subject to FAA inspection. If the FAA signs off on it, it will either go back into service with US Airways or be sold.