OFFSEASON NEEDS?

toddgurley

Before we start winning again (Like in the 90's) Ralph may need to sell the team, and hire and coach who knows what the heck he is doing. But as far as talent goes, we are very close I think. Its our playcalling and lack of a team identity that really hurts us. With all that being said, this is what I believe the team needs to do to end the playoff drought!!!

Team Needs:

1. PASS RUSH!!! This is by far the most important thing the Bills are lacking. B/C of our lack of a pass rush, we make average QB's look like Pro Bowlers because they have literally ALL DAY to throw!! This may not be fixed with just 1 player. However, I would cut Chris Kelsay and his $5 Million dollar salary, and bring in 2 new pass rushing ends. Possible thru free agency and another in the draft. And stop getting these undersized ends with high motors, get DE's who actually have the size and strengh to play END!!

2. CENTER!!! Anyone who saw the Bills play and struggle vs the 3-4 scheme defense knows we need a center. The Bills were 1-6 vs 3-4 schemes last year, the only team we beat with a 3-4 was San Diego. We need to address the center in Free Agency if possible. A vetern like Matt Birk (Min) or a young Jamal Brown (Bal) would be great, or possible take MACK in the NFL draft.

Remember-every team in our division runs the 3-4, and we were 0-6 in the division b/c we do not have a physical Center who can match up vs the big NT in the 3-4 scheme. Our center has to face some of the best NT in the league in Kris Jenkins, vince milfork, and jason fergusen.

3. ANOTHER RECEIVING OPTION!!! The Bills desperately need a vertern NUMBER 2 WR, this should be done in free agency. There are a number a good viable receivers on the free agent market, and besides we drafted Hardy last Year, and would like to give him 2-3 seasons to develope before we label him a BUST!! Remember that Eric Moulds took 3 seasons before he got to be good.

AND/OR

A PASS CATCHING TE!!! This would really help stretch the field and create match up problems. This could be taken care of Via free agency by signing Bo Scaife (Ten) or drafting one, like we need to do.

4. A VETERN BACKUP QB!!! Even if Trent is the answer, he has missed over 6 games in his 1st two seasons. Also, if he struggles, this QB needs to be able to step in and lead the team!!

5. DEPTH!!! We need to have succifient back-ups. 2 seasons ago, the Bills were the MOST INJURED team in the NFL. We need depth at LB, O-Line, and CB. Greer is gonna leave via free agency, so that leaves us with Mcgee, Mckelvin, and Youboty as CB, and mcgee and youboty only have 1 year remaining on there contracts.

Seriously, thats not alot. The main young are there for the right coaching staff to mold into WINNERS! We just need an OWNER who wants to WIN and shows us that!!!

GO BILLS GO!!!!!!!

Before we start winning again (Like in the 90's) Ralph may need to sell the team, and hire and coach who knows what the heck he is doing. But as far as talent goes, we are very close I think. Its our playcalling and lack of a team identity that really hurts us. With all that being said, this is what I believe the team needs to do to end the playoff drought!!!

Team Needs:

1. PASS RUSH!!! This is by far the most important thing the Bills are lacking. B/C of our lack of a pass rush, we make average QB's look like Pro Bowlers because they have literally ALL DAY to throw!! This may not be fixed with just 1 player. However, I would cut Chris Kelsay and his $5 Million dollar salary, and bring in 2 new pass rushing ends. Possible thru free agency and another in the draft. And stop getting these undersized ends with high motors, get DE's who actually have the size and strengh to play END!!

2. CENTER!!! Anyone who saw the Bills play and struggle vs the 3-4 scheme defense knows we need a center. The Bills were 1-6 vs 3-4 schemes last year, the only team we beat with a 3-4 was San Diego. We need to address the center in Free Agency if possible. A vetern like Matt Birk (Min) or a young Jamal Brown (Bal) would be great, or possible take MACK in the NFL draft.

Remember-every team in our division runs the 3-4, and we were 0-6 in the division b/c we do not have a physical Center who can match up vs the big NT in the 3-4 scheme. Our center has to face some of the best NT in the league in Kris Jenkins, vince milfork, and jason fergusen.

3. ANOTHER RECEIVING OPTION!!! The Bills desperately need a vertern NUMBER 2 WR, this should be done in free agency. There are a number a good viable receivers on the free agent market, and besides we drafted Hardy last Year, and would like to give him 2-3 seasons to develope before we label him a BUST!! Remember that Eric Moulds took 3 seasons before he got to be good.

AND/OR

A PASS CATCHING TE!!! This would really help stretch the field and create match up problems. This could be taken care of Via free agency by signing Bo Scaife (Ten) or drafting one, like we need to do.

4. A VETERN BACKUP QB!!! Even if Trent is the answer, he has missed over 6 games in his 1st two seasons. Also, if he struggles, this QB needs to be able to step in and lead the team!!

5. DEPTH!!! We need to have succifient back-ups. 2 seasons ago, the Bills were the MOST INJURED team in the NFL. We need depth at LB, O-Line, and CB. Greer is gonna leave via free agency, so that leaves us with Mcgee, Mckelvin, and Youboty as CB, and mcgee and youboty only have 1 year remaining on there contracts.

Seriously, thats not alot. The main young are there for the right coaching staff to mold into WINNERS! We just need an OWNER who wants to WIN and shows us that!!!

GO BILLS GO!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Team Needs:

AND/OR

GO BILLS GO!!!!!!!

I agree with all your needs here, none of those are a big secret, however Pass Rush is not the #1 need. Case in point, our D played WELL ENOUGH to win us games, even without Schobel and the threatt of a pass rush. We were not the Denver Broncos or the Saints who couldnt stop a high school team. It is a BIG need, dont get me wrong, but I would rate it #2 in terms of things keeping us out of the playoffs.

Our #1 need, and the #1 reason we didnt make the playoffs was our QB play. Once Trent got hurt, JP played awful for the most part and Trent came back skiddish and hesistant and became a turnover machine. Many of the games we lost were a direct result of QB play (SF, Cle, NE, Mia, Jets), not defense. AZ, yes, that was mostly because of our D and we couldnt get anywhere near Warner. But our biggest achilies heel in the other losses was the same thing that has plagued us for a long time...inconsistent QB play.

Even that one year when JP ended the last half of the season strong we started winning games...why, because JP played better. Since then, he has become a shell of that stretch and Trent hasnt played much better. Until Trent becomes a much better QB who can command the game we will not go much further. So he needs to step up quickly or we need to find a new QB before we can start winning again...

Look at the Jets...once Farve started stinking after starting 9-3, they lost out and missed the playofss...In Mia, Pennington comes in and takes a 1-15 team and wins the division which basically the same core of talent there and the addition of Fasano. There is a reason a QB gets most the credit for wins and most the blame for losses, its because they have such a major part in them.

Guest dog14787

Team Needs:

AND/OR

GO BILLS GO!!!!!!!

Agree with everything except needing a # 2 WR desperately, Josh Reed is a sufficient # 2. Besides, we have some promising rookies who I expect to step up to the plate next year.

I would also put a huge emphasis on how badly we need a good security blanket TE for Trent Edwards.

Agree with everything except needing a # 2 WR desperately, Josh Reed is a sufficient # 2. Besides, we have some promising rookies who I expect to step up to the plate next year.

I would also put a huge emphasis on how badly we need a good security blanket TE for Trent Edwards.

I don't know if Reed is the #2 I had in mind, I do think he makes an excellent #3. But I do agree that WR may not be that much of a need for us. I have a feeling that Steve Johnson is gonna surprise people this year.

Reed is really a possession receiver. He doesn't stretch the field....he's more of a go-to receiver on 3rd down, and a good one at that. The Bills need someone besides Evans, to take the coverage off of Evans. Hardy dispayed below average hands and route running ability, rookie or not. On top of that, it's unlikely that Hardy will be completely healthy at the beginning of the season even if he improved on the above. The Bills really need someone to pull coverage off of Evans. Maybe someone will step up, but if there's a good WR (or TE) with speed available out there, the Bills (and Evans) could sure use it.

I don't have a problem with anything you said.

I just propose we retire this 3-4 statistic. Yes, we went 1-6 (1-8 I thought, with the Cleveland and SF games), but we didn't lose to the Jets the second time because they ran a 3-4. We scored 27 points! We scored 27 points against Cleveland, and ran the ball up and down the field. We got into the red zone four times against the Niners. It wasn't because of the 3-4 that Lindell missed two kicks. We also didn't have a problem moving the ball up and down the field against the Fish in Miami until Reed went down and Edwards started making Losman-esque mistakes. We need a better center, but for all sorts of defenses.

It's a coincidence more than anything else that the bad-luck moments of the season came against 3-4s, not some deeper weakness. And BTW, we could use a better center for 4-3 teams, too.

Guest dog14787
Reed is really a possession receiver. He doesn't stretch the field....he's more of a go-to receiver on 3rd down, and a good one at that. The Bills need someone besides Evans, to take the coverage off of Evans. Hardy dispayed below average hands and route running ability, rookie or not. On top of that, it's unlikely that Hardy will be completely healthy at the beginning of the season even if he improved on the above. The Bills really need someone to pull coverage off of Evans. Maybe someone will step up, but if there's a good WR (or TE) with speed available out there, the Bills (and Evans) could sure use it.

Its hard to evaluate any single athlete accurately when ownership, coaching and game planning has allot to do with an athletes success. The Buffalo Bills coaching has been average at best with the exception to special teams. You could put Josh Reed in a Steelers uniform and have another Hines Ward and although he may not stretch the field, he does make the defense pay,sometimes dearly.

Its not a fluke that we have one of the best special teams units in the league and sure we have some awesome weapons, but Bobby April brings it all together and makes it work, without him we are average.

tHIS IS GREAT. fINALY A TOPIC THAT HASNT been beaten to death!! No one has thought of this. I'm glad you started this thread.

-sacrcasm off.

Now that's a contribution to the discussion (sarcasm on....)

I agree with most of what you say but here's my thoughts. No, really sometimes I have more than just one! :thumbsup:

1. DT- The Bills have Schobel, Kelsay, Denney and Ellis at DE. Ellis should be better and be used a lot more this year. A DT to put next to Stroud would pretty much make running almost impossible.

1a. C- Preston isn't going to cut it. The second pick should be spent on the deepest position.

3a. TE - The Bills need a pass catcher but I'm putting it third because I'm hoping Hardy will alleviate some of the problem.

3b. LB - It's impossible to tell what Bowen will do and even if Crowell sticks around this position is really thin. The fourth pick should be spent on the deepest position.

4. FB - The best FB on the board should be available here, if not the second best should be.

5. OT - Got guys near retirement here and depth is must.

6. OG - Another depth guy wouldn't hurt.

7. WR - The least important position on the team right now. Evans, Reed, Parrish, Johnson, Hardy and Jenkins. 'Nuff said. A lot of the depth at this position should come from Johnson and Hardy entering their second years.

After writing this I'm pretty enthused about next year!!! :thumbsup: