Interesting Note on Vilma

I came across this on a DraftInsiders web site regarding traded picks in the 2009 draft:

3rd Round

NY Jets from New Orleans - LB Jonathan Vilma (Pick secured and can escalate to a #2 selection if Vilma resigns with Saints as a FA prior to NFL Draft 2009)

I know that many have talked about signing Vilma in the offseason. It would appear that if we were to sign him, it might serve two purposes: (1) adding a middle linebacker and allowing Poz to move outside, and (2) prohibitng a division rival from securing another pick for themselves in the 2nd round.

It's actually worse than that, because if the Saints resign Vilma, the 2 they owe the Giants for Shockey becomes a 1. So, instead of being on the hook for a 2 and 3, they'd be on the hook for a 1 and 2. And that's why no one expects them to re-sign Vilma.

I know Shockey had a bad year with the Saints but if he and Vilma both are on the market the Bills should condsider them both.

Vilma will re-sign with New Orleans. He played every snap on D and lead them in tackles. He wants to be back and they want him back.

Of course I'd love him here, playing outside.

Did you read the posts above. It would cost NO a couple picks to resign him. They wouldnt draft until Day 2. I dont think Vilma is worth that, they will just go after a different free agent.

I wonder what the exact wording is on that trade. If the Saints talk to the Bills, say, and offer us a 7th round pick for signing Vilma and trading him back to them, why wouldn't they do that? Structure the contract so there's no dead money, assuming that as a UFA, the Saints won a bidding war for his services, etc.

Is it specifically forbidden as collusion?

I know Shockey had a bad year with the Saints but if he and Vilma both are on the market the Bills should condsider them both.

Why? Vilma, yes, but what has Shockey done other than have a name you recognize? He can't stay on the field, is a whiny little B word and doesn't want to block. Why would you want someone like that?

3rd Round

NY Jets from New Orleans - LB Jonathan Vilma (Pick secured and can escalate to a #2 selection if Vilma resigns with Saints as a FA prior to NFL Draft 2009)

So what's to stop NO from waiting to re-sign him after the draft? If they want him and he wants to come back, it'll get done.