Partial Offseason Plan

BillsFan74

This is my crazy Bills offseason plan. I know this will not happen, but I’ve been so disappointed with the team this year I’m dreaming to keep my enthusiasm up. My goal would be to get stronger in the trenches so we can compete with the upper echelon teams in the league. So here goes;

To address the offensive line I would be aggressive in FA signing LT Jordan Gross, then trading Jason Peters to either Jax or Cincy for their first round pick. I believe the Bengals may be a better choice since they need to protect Palmer so let’s say Peters to Cincy for pick #6 (maybe too much for Peters but he is a 2x pro bowler). To finish the offensive line I would try to sign Marvel Smith to a 2 year deal worth 7-8 mil to play RT. He is good when healthy and would be a huge upgrade over Walker. If he signs I cut Walker, if try not renegotiate his deal to under $4 mil per year. At center resign Duke Preston and look at LeCharles Bentley. Bentley is a wild card with tremendous upside and should come cheap. Really would look to upgrade this position in the draft.

Next would be to cut Chris Kelsay and save the money, if I could trade him for any pick that would be a no brainer. I would sign Chris Canty from Dallas to play LDE. He is a little heavy for a 4-3 but if he lost 10 -15 pounds he could be a beast. Our D-line needs to be more physical anyway, so a big DE could be good. To further shore up the D-line the next task would be to sign Tank Johnson. He should come at a reasonable price and is a good 4-3 tackle. At LB Mike Peterson or another less expensive Vet would be on my shopping list.

Another big move would be to sign Greer and trade him or McGee to Cleveland for Kellen Winslow. It obvious the team needs a good TE and it’s rumored that he is on the market.

The draft should look good with two top 10 picks and here is my plan.

#6 Aaron Curry or Everette Brown. Let’s assume Brown, Curry maybe gone by #6

#11 Brian Cushing, good fit for out D and position of need. If we got Curry at #6 best DE with this pick.

#42 BPA

#75 Antoine Caldwell C need pick

I think this is interesting, but really unlikely, and in some circumstances, I would say questionable.

First, Buffalo should not be trading Peters. By the end of the season he was playing very solid football, and finding LTs who can really play is no easy task. I could see Buffalo trading him IF and ONLY IF they could get Jordan Gross signed from Carolina. That being said, I don't see that happening. The best move for the O-Line would be if Buffalo decided to try and draft Alex Mack C from Cal in the first round. I could see Buffalo taking a DE at #11, then trying to get back into the later first round and trying to grab Mack at #22 or #23.

Leave Kellen Winslow in Cleveland. The guy is never healthy and is an accident magnet. He'll never live up to his potential and will require and ungodly sum of money to sign. No thanks. Let him be a problem child for someone else. Buffalo can find another FA TE who would be better than Winslow, though it is a bit early to speculate on exactly who will be hitting the market. Last I checked, the Chiefs hadn't resigned Gonzalez and Buffalo had been interested during the season, so we'll see what they decided to do. Gonzalez would be a much better option.

I like the idea of going after Canty from Dallas and/or Tank Johnson to shore up the O-Line. Those were the two guys I was looking at as well, considering their production for their present teams, and frankly, I think that Canty's size as is, is exactly what we're looking for. He wasn't exactly slow in Dallas. I still think that Buffalo also needs to draft a DE at #11, seeing as how Chris Ellis didn't show much of anything in the moments he played during the season.