Learn to coach what you have

Do you remember the line from "Hossiers" ?

"Lets see what kind of hand I have been dealt here"-Gene Hackman

In that movie, he took the talent he had and coached them to become Indiana State Champions.

That movie is used in Coaching circles all over the country and I suggest you take the time to watch it!

The Best coaches in the NFL have the ability to maximize available talent, and find a way to beat you.

Does this remind you of Bill Parcells or Bill Billicheck......it should.

Some of you guys are more into free agency and the draft in a continuous battle to upgrade.

As you guys become older like me, you will eventually realize an above average talent veteran team with superior coaching, is better then a super talented young team with AVERAGE COACHING.

In the end, the veteran team is still standing, and the young team goes home. ( Buffalo is still a young team)

So what is my advice to Dick Jauron, LEARN TO COACH WHAT YOU HAVE, THE FUTURE MAJOR CONTINUOUS CHANGES WILL ONLY SET YOU BACK. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO MAXIMIZE THE PLAYERS ALREADY ON THE ROSTER.

Put more faith into what you already have and develop. Put more pressure on the players to become better pros.

Remove players that are not willing to commit to excellence. The Head coach should pick the leaders, not the players.

Every Buffalo player should have an off season plan developed by the coaching staff designed to elevate players to become better PROS. A player unwilling to improve is not a player you want on your roster.

If the players do not have a plan developed by the coaching staff, THEN THE COACHING STAFF IS THE PROBLEM.

The best coaching staffs are on the phone with players on a weekly basis looking for progress and making additional suggestions. Anything less sends the wrong message to the team.

The New England Patriots are nothing more then an above average veteran team, extremely well coached, that developed into a powerhouse in 2007. Nearly every player on that team was developed with the exception of Randy Moss and a few plug in's by Bill Bilicheck.

Sorry for using the Patriots as an example, but you can also use The Pittsburgh Steelers

I like the team we have...sorry, I had to learn the hard way. WE HAVE THE TALENT, NOW COACH IT!

The people on this board with high school or above coaching experience know exactly what I am talking about here.

DIE HARD 1967

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What changes are you talking about? The only thing from this offseason so far is how they're preaching continuity...

I am in favor of coaching what we have and 1 or 2 free agents and the draft picks.

Before the injuries, this was a pretty complete team, perhaps a little weak in the pass rush area

I'm not sure but I think he wants the Bills to forego the draft?

The draft just adds better players. The only way to preserve continuity and coach what you have is to ignore all avenues in adding playmakers to the squad. Eff the draft!

The draft just adds better players. The only way to preserve continuity and coach what you have is to ignore all avenues in adding playmakers to the squad. Eff the draft!

You got to be kidding, The draft does not always add better players, you just hope they do!

They are nothing more then unproven PROS

I just gave your Patriots a big plug, you are lucky I even chat with you!

You got to be kidding, The draft does not always add better players, you just hope they do!

They are nothing more then unproven PROS

I just gave your Patriots a big plug, you are lucky I even chat with you!

Listen, I like you because you've got that old man wisdom but look at his avatar a little closer and you'll notice a penis in the Patriots' logo (above the "Patriots Suck" text). That would make him not much a Patriots fan...

Listen, I like you because you've got that old man wisdom but look at his avatar a little closer and you'll notice a penis in the Patriots' logo (besides the "Patriots Suck" text). That would make him not much a Patriots fan...

Its still a Patriot emblem...that sucks

Chill, I am only kidding

Do you remember the line from "Hossiers"

"Lets see what kind of hand I have been dealt here"-Gene Hackman

It that movie, he took the talent he had and coached them to become Indiana state champions

Rankin Fitch (Runaway Jury):

"Gentlemen, trials are too important to be left up to juries."

Gene Hackman also said that in a movie.

Maybe we should just toss our judicial system.

Its about coaching, and developing a plan to succeed

I probably edited it since you first read the post!

In this day and age of parity, the difference should be coaching.

But here's the problem, the Bills were $20 million under the cap this past season. What if it happens again? That isn't parity for us. That's a disadvantage because we supposedly can't afford to sign free agents.

And here's another problem, the players love Dick Jauron but he doesn't put them in the best position to win games. If he did, folks wouldn't be complaining about him returning. Right? That kind of screws up your plan.