Normally I can't stand Bill Simmons...

Bullpen

In the name of fair and balanced, it's been well documented that I think Bill Simmons on ESPN is about the biggest D-bag they have on the payroll in Bristol, but this was sent to me today and I thought maybe others might appreciate his efforts with this story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/090122

* Warning * it may become kinda dusty in your office/home or wherever you are when you read this. :unsure:

Golden's are wonderful dogs. We've had two over the course of our married life and now have a Chocolate Lab.

Our first was a male and I'm still convinced he was smarter than I am. We lived in the country and had nothing but farms around us at that time. Boy, he really loved to roam around. His favorite trick was to take a tennis ball between his forelegs and roll over onto his back. He'd somehow manage to hang onto the ball as he rolled over. He would then raise his legs up and let the ball roll from his paws, down between his legs until it reached the point where the gap was bigger than the ball. It just so happened that the gap was just above his mouth. He'd catch the ball, roll over, hold it between his paws, roll onto his back again and repeat the process over and over. He was wonderful.

Our second Golden was a female. She didn't have any outlandish tricks, but she took her job as baby sitter and house protector very seriously.

Wonderful wonderful dogs.

In the name of fair and balanced, it's been well documented that I think Bill Simmons on ESPN is about the biggest D-bag they have on the payroll in Bristol, but this was sent to me today and I thought maybe others might appreciate his efforts with this story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/090122

* Warning * it may become kinda dusty in your office/home or wherever you are when you read this. :unsure:

I actually thought it was one his worst columns. I gotta admit i love his writing, even though he is so Boston biased. This article just seems like any body who has ever owned a dog could have written, especially coming on the heels of Marley and me(of which i have not read or seen).

I actually thought it was one his worst columns. I gotta admit i love his writing, even though he is so Boston biased. This article just seems like any body who has ever owned a dog could have written, especially coming on the heels of Marley and me(of which i have not read or seen).

So tell us....how does a stone heart pump blood? Yeesh.....

So tell us....how does a stone heart pump blood? Yeesh.....

I don't know, that column just seemed so rote to me. I just went through something similiar with my dog last year, so I am a dog lover to the enth degree. Anybody who has ever owned and loved a dog has had to deal with putting them down or them dying. It sucks, we all love our dogs like family, we all cry like babies when they die and really feel the void when they leave this earth(at least i do).

Doesn't mean that was a terribly thought provoking column or anything I have not seen in one form or another a hunderd times before. I think he is way better than that, and he kind of mailed it in is all.

I don't know, that column just seemed so rote to me. I just went through something similiar with my dog last year, so I am a dog lover to the enth degree. Anybody who has ever owned and loved a dog has had to deal with putting them down or them dying. It sucks, we all love our dogs like family, we all cry like babies when they die and really feel the void when they leave this earth(at least i do).

Doesn't mean that was a terribly thought provoking column or anything I have not seen in one form or another a hunderd times before. I think he is way better than that, and he kind of mailed it in is all.

Not true. My dog is 10 this year...regretting someday having to go through this.

!@#$in dust.

ten minutes of my life i wont get back.

Once you're able to stop moving your lips when you read, it won't take so long... :unsure:

whats the old lines about opinions..they are like arseholes, we all have one and they all stink :beer:

Yeah especially YOURS!!! (I keed! I keeeeeed!!!) :D

Maybe he prefers cats.

Here's the difference between dogs and cats:

A dog has an owner. The owner provides the dog with food, water, shelter and an exaggerated about of attention. The dog therefore believes the owner to be God.

A cat has an owner. The owner provides the cat with food, water, shelter and an exaggerated about of attention. The cat therefore believes itself to be God.

----------------------------------------------------

I liked the column. I'm sure it has been done before but that didn't detract from it, at least for me. George Carlin once said that when you get a new pet, you're basically buying yourself a little tragedy. :flirt:

Man that's a good story. I went thru a similar thing with my 2 Queensland Heelers a few years back. It's hard to tell when "it's time". Only difference was they were both 18 years old. Doesn't make it any easier tho. Dogs really become members of the family. Gonna have a talk with my wife,I never noticed before,but this house is damn dusty.

That's a little harsh.

When we had to put my 12 y.o. german shorthaired pointer down this past summer, I wrote an email to let friends and relatives know. Among dogs, he and his father who we had to put down exactly a year earlier --- to the day --- were the best I've known. Writing always helps me to sort my thoughts, to gain a little control over them, and gives a little catharsis. It's been a little over six months and the grief chest pain has only recently started to lessen, and I now only 'cry like a baby' ~ once every couple of weeks. If he feels just a little better after writing that, who are you to give him sh--? Don't read it, then.

Back to the topic, having another dog settled in at the time really softens a blow like that. When the father passed after a long progression of cancer/arthritis/Lyme, it was sad and we also we more prepared and knew it was coming, then let him go with dignity... which you may not think is important, and it's weird, but if he could have talked, dignity is what he would have wanted. He was like that, a staid, gentle giant of a fellow. This summer, tho, we were knocked over with his son's cancer, even tho he was 12, b/c there was no real sign of it until the day before we put him down. And it was just devastating for me losing my best friend, the shock of it. Had been thinking of getting another before, so the old man could show him the ropes --- I thought I had more time. Now, it's going to be hard to start all over again, and we've decided we need a break from dogs for a while. (However, we are currently fostering my brother's sh--head Weimaraner, who is nicknamed, "Spawn." :flirt: We have weaned him off tranquilizers and Xanex they had him on... tho at times I question whether that's the right move. Weims are fairly closely related to the GSPs, but they are nothing like GSPs in everything that counts, for me. I have absolutely no use for a dog that is "fiercely independent" as the texts read and my experiences with this breed have proved.)

Mine does it very poorly, apparently.

I feel for Daisy. I'd feel more for Simmons if I didn't feel like he was cashing in on Marley & Me.

You'd feel it more if you knew the whole story. Simmons has spoken about "The Dooze" and her ability to fetch a tennis ball for years. He talks about his dog so much, a couple of years ago someone even made a drinking game and included a rule about how he'd mention his dog during his annual NBA draft diary. The Sports Guy's wife used to write a piece in his Friday picks. About 4 months ago she mentioned that "The Dooze" was dying and how sad she'd be when the day came.

It's no surprise the guy wrote a eulogy about his dog. I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he didn't time his dog's death with the opening of a movie.

Feel any way you want, you supercilious, pedantic anal orifice (or whatever your title used to be).

:angry:

Damn, it IS awful dusty in here. I'm not the most sentimental of people, so I didn't think it would get dusty, but man did it get dusty.

We had a golden when I was a little kid, and my parents had to put her down when she started getting these really bad seizures. One of the worst experiences of my life. As a parent, I'll do my best to try to make sure the kids aren't little when the dog dies.