Bills add to FO disciples

They've had some amazing drafts and others that were alright. But even with some so so years in the draft, we all know their team is downright stocked with talent. Look at the drafts since he was there (* means Pro Bowl player):

2001: LT*, Brees*

2002: Jammer (eh, serviceable but not worth top 5 pick),

2003:So so draft, but picked up Antonio Gates* undrafted and Kris Dielman (starting LG) undrafted and Stephen Cooper (starting LB) undrafted...rediculous!

2004: Phillip Rivers*, Igor Olshansky, Nick Hardwick*, Shaun Phillips, Michael Turner, and Nate Kaeding* (used from Manning trade). Remember they also got Wes Welker as undrafted (and subsequently released).

2005: Shawne Merriman*, Luis Castillo*, Vincent Jackson, Darren Sproles, Scott Mruczkowski (good versatile C and G)

2006: Antonio Cromartie*, Marcus McNeill*, Jeromey Clary (starting RT), Tim Dobbins (starting LB)

2007: Craig Davis (injured, on his way to being a bust), Eric Weddle, Jyles Tucker (starting LB) undrafted

2008 (I believe his last draft and then he stepped down): Antoine Cason (hasn't shown anything yet), Hester (good pick, probably too high for a FB but he can play RB too), nothing else of note here so far.

I'm sure there are some players I've missed here. But another thing: take a look at their depth charts...almost every starter has been drafted by the Chargers...absolutely amazing. Off hand, the only guy that it looks like they brought in is Chris Chambers. Amazing. All homegrown talent. Now the fact that half their players are on roids or dropped in value during the draft because of steriods issues is besides the point...

It will be interesting to see how involved he is in the drafts as a bills "national scout." From my understanding, that means scouting the league rather than college players? I'm sure they'll bring his input.

But bringing ANYONE in is a step, and to bring a guy from the Chargers, who draft better than almost anyone in his tenure, is awesome.

he's a collage scout and its a great blessing for the bills that he and the as-hole AJ had a falling out. the guy is a great personnel man with decades of scouting knowledge. anyone who questions this move is lost.

Good news. Buddy is back where he belongs.

I have a feeling that AJ is a tough guy to get along with.

From the link:

Orchard Park, NY - The Bills are dipping into their past, to beef up their scouting staff in the future. News 4 has learned that veteran NFL scout Buddy Nix is returning to the Bills, in the positon of National Scout.

Nix confirmed the appointment when we talked to him by phone, from his home in Tennessee. He spent eight years with the Bills as a scout and personnel expert, when John Butler was the team's general manager, and AJ Smith was the chief pro scout. When Butler and Smith left the Bills in 2001 for San Diego, Nix followed them West.

He eventually rose to the position of Assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel with the Chargers, a position he held for five years. Nix stepped down from the job a year ago, after an apparent falling out with GM A.J. Smith.

Nix is 69-years old. He'll report to Bills VP of College Scouting Tom Modrak and act as a National Scout, looking over college talent.

So we can learn a couple of things here. 1. is A.J. Smith is a Richard, look at what he said about L.T. recently. 2. Ralph is not the Richard everyone wants to make him out to be.

Why are you so quick to dismiss this guy? SD has one of the most talented rosters in the league. I like the idea of getting a scout from a talented front office. IMo, this may be one of the most important drafts in Bills history. The Bills are being somewhat proactive.

He out to change his ID to SULLIVANTONE.

But bringing ANYONE in is a step, and to bring a guy from the Chargers, who draft better than almost anyone in his tenure, is awesome.

After these past two off-seasons, I was beginning to wonder if the Bills weren't interested in taking anyone from outside the organization.

The only way this team gets better is through having great drafts every year. They can't afford to miss on a first or second rounder anymore. Nix sounds like a guy who's a fine talent evaluator and will provide Modrak with a go-to guy leading up to the draft.

Then again, I'm not sure why this move was necessary. We've got Linda Bogdan to cry to daddy whenever she doesn't get her way. :flirt:

I applaud the move, I think it's a positive sign that they saw the wisdom of bringing in a fresh set of eyes, BUT does anybody else find it curious that the guy they grab just happens to have a history with the Bills?

Think about it - what are the Bills' most recent front office moves/promotions?

1) Levy hire

2) Brandon/Modrak/Guy promotions

3) Nix acquisition

It's almost like these days, if you are not a known commodity to Wilson you have ZERO chance of joining the front office.

I applaud the move, I think it's a positive sign that they saw the wisdom of bringing in a fresh set of eyes, BUT does anybody else find it curious that the guy they grab just happens to have a history with the Bills?

Think about it - what are the Bills' most recent front office moves/promotions?

1) Levy hire

2) Brandon/Modrak/Guy promotions

3) Nix acquisition

It's almost like these days, if you are not a known commodity to Wilson you have ZERO chance of joining the front office.

If you run your own business, wouldn't you be more comfortable hiring people you know?

If you run your own business, wouldn't you be more comfortable hiring people you know?

....And who'd already proven to be among the best at what they do in the profession?

There must be a catch...stuff like this only happens with other teams. :angry:

Once again.....I applaud THIS specific move. Just noting a trend that Ralph's circle is extremely tight ever since Donahoe left. It hasn't exactly worked. At some point you become so insulated that you close off your options.

I know. It seems like Donahoe really messed up Ralph.

I'm ecstatic that they added Nix. He is truly a football guy ala Dwight Adams and AJ. Guy had better step his game up. I see this as a precursor to taking over pro player personnel.

I still ditching my Sunday Ticket - but our college draft should be a good one, if they let Nix do his job. Yay.